Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in the car to drive home from Costco, makes a whining sound. I am not sure which all components are on the passenger side getting driven by the belts... but pretty sure from the sound and the smell that one of the pulleys is not turning so the belt is just sliding over it.

Had timing belt job done around 110k, car has been driving fine, just got back from a trip to Utah. I am thinking of all the things could be, alternator, water/power steering/AC compressor... I don't know what's most likely.

Is there a common one that fails? Is there a diagram somewhere? If anyone has a shortcut, I would appreciate it. I will be searching for shop manual or other references in the meantime but if anyone has a quick point in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
The only time I have ever had something like that happen, wasn't on a Honda but a European import when the water pump seized. Stopped the car dead in on the side of the road......

Stive's right on the diagnosis. You need to pull the accessory belt to see whether its the tensioner or another component thats run into problems. If they all seem good, then you have to dig deeper and remove the timing belt cover. If you never lost charging or power steering, its not one of those.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
This is the diagram.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Got in the car to drive home from Costco, makes a whining sound. I am not sure which all components are on the passenger side getting driven by the belts... but pretty sure from the sound and the smell that one of the pulleys is not turning so the belt is just sliding over it.

Had timing belt job done around 110k, car has been driving fine, just got back from a trip to Utah. I am thinking of all the things could be, alternator, water/power steering/AC compressor... I don't know what's most likely.

Is there a common one that fails? Is there a diagram somewhere? If anyone has a shortcut, I would appreciate it. I will be searching for shop manual or other references in the meantime but if anyone has a quick point in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
Hopefully it's just the tensioner pulley. It really winds up being so small. Put marks or tape on each pulley and see which one isn't turning when the engine is running. The belt is probably toast by now anyway. Did it overheat? Pull the radiator cap when it's cool to see if the water pump is running.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Hey that is weird, I posted this thread but I am not the guy in the top post...
Lets notify our Super Moderator @Daltongang what's going on. Wired! You clearly made the thread and it's in your discussion created.

Reactions: The Todd and aggrex

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Hey! We never heard from the SM why @bzwyatt was the OP, now isn't. ??? 🤔

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts

Is this for real? By the avatar, it says 'Banned'?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Is this for real? By the avatar, it says 'Banned'?
I'm having doubts that there's a Costco he said he went to in the country that he posted from. Lol

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
148 Posts
Seemed maybe somehow my account was 'hacked' but seems normal, it's just that post is that guy now lol

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Seemed maybe somehow my account was 'hacked' but seems normal, it's just that post is that guy now lol
Maybe @Rocky could investigate for you. That makes no sense at all.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I changed my P/S pump and it turns easier. The wine went away too, for a while. I don't remember for how long, the miles I drive are negligible during quarantine.

But it came back more consistent and louder so I researched more.

I realized it's the alternator, or at least my alternator is failing to charge. My battery has drained easily over the last few months, which I figured was just not driving much, and it got cold, and I got the battery from Walmart, so I wasn't expecting prime performance anyway. But it's barely a year old, figured it can't be that much of a piece of $h1t. So I have been leaving a charger on it most of the time.

I checked the voltage and it was 14.1 a couple weeks back, today I checked it and it's 13.5, while running. I was doing a job for work a few weeks ago where I did a few stops and starting again, and needed a jump after only 3 stops. Even when my car started again, the car didn't want to shift into gear until I'd sat for a few minutes (and didn't turn my car off again that day!). This reminded me of a time a few months ago it did the same thing; I was moving the car in my driveway, and it didn't want to go from D to R, and I was really worried something was up with the transmission, though I've done a few drain/fills and it drives great. Was just a one off where it clunked hard into R after a long pause.

So I saw that when the charge is low, the shifting can be affected. And when I checked the voltage it was lower than it had been, and should be, which explains why the battery has drained off and on. So some of the other pieces fit together.

I know there are other methods I could have used to diagnose it, like I tried to listen to the different pulleys but I couldn't tell a difference. I have a hearing condition actually so that isn't always a reliable sense for me anyway! Ha!

Anyway I changed the serpentine belt, and probably didn't need to change the P/S pump, but I learned about it and it couldn't have hurt at 145,000 miles.

So I am pretty sure I need to change the alternator.

Also I want to say, I am gonna be 40 this year so I'm nowhere near as young as I still feel sometimes, but I like this forum to shoot the $h!t about cars a bit. My dad is an excellent mechanic and taught me everything I know and I used to call him up for anything like this, and as an excuse to talk about life. He isn't as available and we don't talk much now for different reasons, and I don't have a lot of friends who are as hands on with their vehicles as I am. So this forum fills that role for me a lot now.

Thanks for all the wisdom shared.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts