Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning in Ottawa it was -24 degrees C. When I tried to brake I noticed that I had no power brakes. Very scary. I carefully pulled over and I was able to pump the brakes, felt the power booster work again after about 5 pumps and then everything was fine after that. This only happens when it's really cold. Brake fluid was replaced about 3 months ago and level is fine.

I've read that this could be caused by the brake booster check valve getting stuck. In the past I tried removing it and cleaning it out with WD40 and this seemed to fix the issue in the past but I think it's getting worse. Should I just replace it? Hard to find the part online so I guess I'll just get it at the Honda dealer.

·
Super Moderator
15,185 Posts
If this is a recurrent problem, but only in freezing weather, have to consider water in the brake system is freezing. As you pump the pedal it warms up and releases.
Interesting to hear the thoughts from others who live in similarly cold climates. Those kinds of temps are rare in New England.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Because this appears to be intermittent and temperature dependent and a few pedal pumps restores functionality, I would be very surprised if its an issue on the pressure side (m/c and beyond, i.e. ice) and more likely a problem on the vacuum side where the booster is either not seeing or holding vacuum. A frozen valve or leak in the booster is where I would begin.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The replacement of the brake booster check valve solved this issue. Even on the -20c mornings no problems with the brakes.

Richard

·
Registered
5 Posts
The replacement of the brake booster check valve solved this issue. Even on the -20c mornings no problems with the brakes.

Richard
Is it in the hose or a separate valve , the local Honda dealer said it is built into a hose and had ordered a new hose!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Richard
I'm trying to locate just where that check valve is at, and also who has the replacement part. Does it
come out of the booster grommet or is it in the vacuum hose itself? I don't want to replace the whole
booster when I think it's the check valve.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's located along the vacuum hose itself on the firewall halfway between the brake booster and the engine. Can't miss it. It's a plastic piece with the rubber hose going into each side. 3 years later and it hasn't happened since.

If you're still having problems locating it I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Richard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts