Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any ideas why I'm hearing a high pitched whining noise when I start the car? I have about 145k miles on it. The noise changes pitch when I shift into reverse and again when I accelerate.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,304 Posts
Take a video with good audio of the sound and post it. Year, Model of vehicle would be helpful.

Also the color of the vehicle for the Tappet Brothers aficionados.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Could many things. Need more details. In the noise coming from the front or rear. Audio would help. Fuel pump, water pump, belts, kids can all whine

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Does it increase when you drive or step on the accelerator? If so, most likely the alternator is about to fail.
Whining that accompanies RPMs is a classic sign that your alternator is about to die. "I see that all the time," as Scotty Kilmer is wont to say. :)

While some types of whining can be good for you to tune out, especially if you're a family man :), do not ignore this one.

Alternator issue?

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
144 Posts
Do you only hear it whine when you cold-start the car? Is it only present when you are starting?
My 2011 EX-L has been doing it since I bought it with 10K miles on it. It's a starter, and it kinda yells/howls once at cold start immediately after engine catches on (and only when the outside temperature is in single digits Centigrade and below.
Of course, while my car was under extended warranty, Honda kept telling me that it's normal. The year it expired (when I hit around 100K miles) they finally admitted, that it's an issue with the starter and suggested I replace it. I told them that I will replace it when it dies.
I now have 150K miles on it, it still does it and I'm still waiting for the starter to die before I replace it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts