Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Honda Pilot and the middle vents don't blow any cold air at all. Only the left and right side vents work. I tried changing modes and also recharged several months ago with some refrigerant. What could be the issue if there's no air coming out on the middle/center vents? Thank you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to be the same. When I change to all the different modes. Air seems to be coming out on the left, right, windshield and on the floor but not the center vents.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I would check the operation of the mode motor. It can be viewed from above if you take off the upper dash panel above the glove box. I would try cycling through the modes (don't forget defrost) while watching to see if the damper moves through all the positions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks. I'll check out some videos on YouTube on how to take out upper dash panel. Also the center console/arm rest has those 2 vents and those don't blow air as well.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You should check out the repair manual that you can download following instructions in the sticky thread. It gives you the steps to remove the panels. You don't have to do all the steps as you are not removing the mode motor (not yet anyway). Search on here for mode motors and I think there are pictures.

Regarding the rear climate control, that is a separate system with separate blow, mode control, etc. I would play around with that in manual mode and increase the fan speed, toggle the mode, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've noticed for the past couple of days, one day the center vents work and sometimes doesn't. Could it be low on freon? or as you indicated that mode motor?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I wouldn't worry about refrigerant right now. Just in case the evap coils are frozen, I would let the car sit overnight and then in the morning try a test without the ac on. Using the manual controls, turn up the fan blower to high in the front and check the modes. Hopefully you've removed the upper dash panels to observe the movement of the mode motor arm.

See how it works then and take notes. Then drive with AC on and see how it works at first and then later after a longer drive. The coil could be freezing up but that will take a while to block airflow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Test drove in the morning with AC ON and using the manual controls. I turn up the fan blower to HIGH and checked all modes and all modes working today. I will try again tomorrow morning and see how it goes. Thanks.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Now you know how it should work. Next time you notice reduced airflow then turn up the blower and try running through the modes again.

I had a bad front expansion valve and that would cause the evap coil to freeze up on trips of 20 minutes or longer in the summer. That caused the airflow to reduce significantly making think it was blocked somehow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts