Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Check out the threads on alternators going bad. Might be worth getting it checked out.
I think thefisch is right on.

Sounds like my alternator just before it completely died. It's probably the front bearing. The alternator will still do it's job for a little while, but as the bearing completely grinds itself up, the slip rings and brushes will also self destruct, and the alternator will stop charging. Time to replace it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think thefisch is right on.

Sounds like my alternator just before it completely died. It's probably the front bearing. The alternator will still do it's job for a little while, but as the bearing completely grinds itself up, the slip rings and brushes will also self destruct, and the alternator will stop charging. Time to replace it.
I totally agree. I'll get 1 tomorrow and replace. Hopefully I will get 1 more drive to/from work!

Richard

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
How old are your idler and tensioner pulleys? Mine survived for about 100k miles and then produced ticking/whining noise..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drive to work this morning was fine... other than the noise. On the way home battery light came on. Picked up alternator and installed tonight. Everything's great. Thanks everyone... especially to @thefisch ... he was bang on!

After I removed serpentine belt I checked pulleys and no/minimal play and no noise. So I left them for now. But I think they will have to be replaced in the near future.

Richard

·
Registered
556 Posts
Good thing you caught this problem early. And kudos to you for the DIY repair. It only sounded familiar because I had read a bunch of threads and watched repair videos recently after my charging/battery light came on.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Drive to work this morning was fine... other than the noise. On the way home battery light came on. Picked up alternator and installed tonight. Everything's great. Thanks everyone... especially to @thefisch ... he was bang on!

After I removed serpentine belt I checked pulleys and no/minimal play and no noise. So I left them for now. But I think they will have to be replaced in the near future.

Richard
Excellent work! What kind of alternator did you use?

The sound in the video is exactly what mine sounded like just before it failed. I dodged a bullet because I was just finishing a 300 mile trip and only noticed the sound when I was stopped at a traffic light just a few miles from my house. I used a generic auto parts store brand alternator and it failed in less than a year. I replaced that with a Denso remanufactured one and it has been very good so far.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts