Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at the 100k valve adjustment I found some pitting on the front cam. I decreased the mileage for oil changes to 3k and sent in oil samples on a regular basis which got me to 175k miles and now an awful tick started. Well the lobes are so bad the rocker started digging into the cam.

Just got all the parts ordered and timing belts kit. Going to be around $750 in parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
at the 100k valve adjustment I found some pitting on the front cam. I decreased the mileage for oil changes to 3k and sent in oil samples on a regular basis which got me to 175k miles and now an awful tick started.
Have you owned this Pilot since it was new?
What was the oil change interval before going to 3K?
What oil has been used?
Has it ever been run low on oil?
Have you done mostly highway driving?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it with 50k so I don't know the history before that. I have never run it low on oil. Used mobil 1 and oem honda filters @ 5k. Mostly city driving. Put on a vcm muzzler at 75k. This is a honda issue and not a maintenance issue.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I bought it with 50k so I don't know the history before that. I have never run it low on oil. Used mobil 1 and oem honda filters @ 5k. Mostly city driving. Put on a vcm muzzler at 75k. This is a honda issue and not a maintenance issue.
Hate to disagree here but XGS is right ... those deep dark oil stains are from the oil being over heated / burned not changed when it was supposed to .. so exactly how is this a Honda issue ? by the looks of this ..the previous owner changed the oil maybe 3 times in the life of the pilot before you took it over .

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are other reports including on this forum about 09-10 camshaft issues and heavy coking on the front cylinder head which is most likely caused by VCM. What is incredible is that when I put on a muzzler the oil consumption completely stopped. I went from 1qt consumption every 3k to 0. I assume and nobody else has compiled data to say otherwise that the vcm and the oily crankcase vapors contribute to the coking.

I am just sharing a post of what I am dealing with. The honda dealer even carries a front camshaft in stock.

·
Registered
957 Posts
There are other reports including on this forum about 09-10 camshaft issues and heavy coking on the front cylinder head which is most likely caused by VCM. What is incredible is that when I put on a muzzler the oil consumption completely stopped. I went from 1qt consumption every 3k to 0. I assume and nobody else has compiled data to say otherwise that the vcm and the oily crankcase vapors contribute to the coking.

I am just sharing a post of what I am dealing with. The honda dealer even carries a front camshaft in stock.
I've seen others post about bad camshafts on the J35. Seems to be a problem with soft areas that wear rapidly after the surface hardening wears off. Fortunately I have not had to deal with the issue on my own car. I appreciate your post, and the shared information. Your experience with disabling VCM is also important. Lots and lots of folks on this forum agree, the VCM system seems to cause a lot of problems. Thank you for the info.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just finished the job. Replaced front cam, cylinder 5,6 intake rockers. Aisin timing belt kit. 5 hours or so to take apart 7-8 to put it back together and adjust valves. It was tedious but straight forward.

I did have to buy a stud remover for the egr valve studs. They have to be removed to slide the cam out.

$510 honda parts with tax and costco 15% discount. ( would have been about $100 cheaper online but could not wait.)
$180 aisin belt kit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts