Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just inherited a 2009 Pilot. Lots of clunking in front. Paid Honda the $60 for the diagnostic fee because I just couldnt see anything without it in the air on a lift. They said both struts bad, drivers side worse. $1300 to fix.

Read a few of the "how bad is it" posts, and I think I can do it. But some of those posts reference a spring compressor. Is that necessary on a 2009? Isnt the spring just part of the entire strut? At $280 per OEM replacement strut think I will try it myself.

Thanks

·
Registered
665 Posts
The spring compressor is used if you only buy the hydraulic cartridge. Then you transfer the old springs to the new cartridges.
Better to buy complete fully loaded strut, as you get new top mounts and strut bearings that way. If KYB full struts are available for your Pilot, they are a good fit. Rock Auto is a good source for parts.
You probably need new lower control arms, and new sway bar bushings and links as well up front.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rockauto has good prices. I always use them.. You don't want naked struts they are a hassle and allot more work(labor) compressing the spring, also you need more parts. Go with the fully loaded they are easy to install, the cheaper naked struts are not!!!

MONROE 172647 $159.79
MONROE 172648 $170.79

easy peasy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks. I agree, thru Hondapartsguys I can get OEM for pretty cheap. I have to swap my sway bar links as well, that worries most ;^)

·
Registered
828 Posts
If the end links are rust-welded on just focus on cutting the bottom nut off and discard the old front strut along with the attached end link.
EA6B1E9B-15B6-4AF6-9328-ABB83E9F6A9A.jpeg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the end links are rust-welded on just focus on cutting the bottom nut off and discard the old front strut along with the attached end link.
That is great advice a person might not think of in the heat of battle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rockauto has good prices. I always use them.. You don't want naked struts they are a hassle and allot more work(labor) compressing the spring, also you need more parts. Go with the fully loaded they are easy to install, the cheaper naked struts are not!!!

MONROE 172647 $159.79
MONROE 172648 $170.79

easy peasy
Thanks. The OEM are not too bat $260 each. Hondapartsguys

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
That is great advice a person might not think of in the heat of battle.
Cutting off sway bar links on old cars is expected for me at this point. I always have a sawzall with some metal blades, an angle grinder, my air hammer and a Dremel in the garage for use on them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just inherited a 2009 Pilot. Lots of clunking in front. Paid Honda the $60 for the diagnostic fee because I just couldnt see anything without it in the air on a lift. They said both struts bad, drivers side worse. $1300 to fix.

Read a few of the "how bad is it" posts, and I think I can do it. But some of those posts reference a spring compressor. Is that necessary on a 2009? Isnt the spring just part of the entire strut? At $280 per OEM replacement strut think I will try it myself.

Thanks
Just to add my two cents, there was a recall on the front struts for the 09-11 Pilots, or has Honda calls them, dampers, because my Pilot was always veering to the left, and it took about seven trips to the dealer before they figured it out. If that's the case with you, I can give you the TSB recall number, print it out, take it to your dealer, and they'll do the entire job for zilch.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
42 Posts
$1300 to just do the struts, really? WTF?
OEM Honda loaded struts are, like $200~$250 each. Plus 4 bottom bolts and nuts and 6 top nuts that you would need to buy and replace as well.
1 hour tops for labor, a bit more if the nuts decide to put up a fight. Don't bother saving sway bar links, just cut them off and install new ones.
Jut buy loaded struts and save yourself time and aggravation on the transplant of springs. Whatever money you think you'll save buying just the struts you'll waste on labor (even if it's your time) and all other bits and pieces you would need (dust cover, etc.).

I think I spent ~$1100 in parts to redo complete front end (control arms, sway bar links and bushings, tie rods) and that's with OEM loaded struts and premium MOOG links and tie rod ends.
You will need an alignment after all is said and done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts