Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an oil leak. It has been going on for a while but I am ready to try and figure it out. There seems to be oily gunky build up everywhere on the underneath front passenger side. It is above the oil filter, so if the oil filter is leaking it’s not the only place. The “wet” oil starts where the red arrow is pointing and turns to sludge as it goes toward the rear.

Where do you think this is coming from? What should I try to do?

Thanks in advance.

From wheel well

·
Registered
50 Posts
Easiest thing to do is to clean all those parts of the oil and gunk, wait a week, and then check to see where it is starting from. When I had to do this I went to a self car wash with a jack, jacked up the front end, and just blasted everything off. When I got home I wiped everything down and used BPC on anything that stuck around.

Once you check that, there are a couple common places that leak (someone please correct me my advice for an '05 is different than an '08):
  • Oil thermostat
  • Filter housing
  • The filter itself
  • Crankshaft seal
Start at the top and work your way down.

Also - if you haven't verified the "oil" isn't "grease" from a broken CV boot you should check that.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
First thing I'd try before investing more time and money in it, member @Wes' experience notwithstanding, is snake oil AT-205, which really does work great (would I lie to you?:)) to stop small leaks. Drive around for about 100 miles over the course of a few days and it should rejuvenate seals. Worked for me.

More Information for ATP AT205

Also carefully replace your PCV valve if you haven't yet.

If those quick and easy solutions don't work, then we can go further.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have done the PCV valve. It is definitely oil not grease and boot looks good.

Will buy a bottle of AT-205. And wash the underside.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Looks like your Variable Valve Timing Solinoid (VVT) and/or Spool Gasket. These are part of your oil filter housing. These can really loose oil if not fixed promptly. If you have a check engine light associated with this leak, your solinoids will likely need replacing. These are also up near the head on the drivers side too. Parts available at Rockauto.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I will investigate this area.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looks like your Variable Valve Timing Solinoid (VVT) and/or Spool Gasket. These are part of your oil filter housing. These can really loose oil if not fixed promptly. If you have a check engine light associated with this leak, your solinoids will likely need replacing. These are also up near the head on the drivers side too. Parts available at Rockauto.com
vvt is toyota and honda is vtec different functions...
Thank you. I will investigate this area.
is this a vcm or non vcm

·
Registered
53 Posts
I never made the assumption. You did. My Honda VTEC Engine is equiped with VVT. This person's VTEC engine appears to be leaking oil through parts associated with the VVT function of their engine.
no assumption but it has a different function as when he goes to get the part he is to ask for a VTEC SOLENOID gasket, the vehicle is labeled vtec not vvt as vtec does what vvt does not as it carries a extra function, a vvt gasket looks much different than a vtec gasket...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
I haven't taken mine apart yet, but this is what I have found that seems right. Same as on Rock Auto.

Amazon.com: 15810-RKB-J01 Vtec Solenoid Spool Valve W/Gasket For Honda Pilot Accord Odyssey 15810RKBJ01: Automotive

Interesting article about VTEC vs VVT.

Thank to you both.
Yes, that's the entire assembly. If you do not have an engine light (code) associated with this part, you can opt to replace the gaskets only. The part you have selected can be taken apart to reveal a 2nd gasket sandwiched in the middle. Here is an example picture here.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes, that's the entire assembly. If you do not have an engine light (code) associated with this part, you can opt to replace the gaskets only. The part you have selected can be taken apart to reveal a 2nd gasket sandwiched in the middle. Here is an example picture here. View attachment 134959
I'm replying to my own post to verify that you have a 2 wheel drive model. These parts are for 2-wheel drive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After cleaning, I found fresh oil in one area. Behind the oil filter where the arrows point. See the photos. It looks like it is bubbling from the seam I circled.

However, the oil I have seen on the floor has been dark, and I don’t see anywhere it could have come from. I positioned a new cardboard under to see if I get another dark drip. Also expecting the AT-205 to arrive today.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
yeah bud, looks like you got something else goin on... I recommend having the main seal checked and oil pan gasket redone, looks like they used gasket maker instead of an actual gasket..

·
Registered
248 Posts
is there oil on the back of the crank pulley, or does it stop at the oil pan line? If its the crank seal and your close to the timing belt service, I would tackle the two together.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts