Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Thanksgiving--
I have a chance to buy a super clean 2008 EXL (4wd) with only 73K original miles, no rust/dents, new timing belt, 1 owner and clean CarFax (dealer wants $10 thous)
or there is a 09 EXL Touring with all bells/whistle with 137K, no rust/dents, 1 owner, Clean car Fax (at used car lot...not a dealer) for $10 thous.

Which one to choose? I have an 04 Pilot and it is great, reliable, and has 250K. This "new" car will be for my son (his first and in college). I'm leaning towards the 08 because I hear it does not have the VCM and above all seems to have better reliability record, (He is not that mechanically inclined but I will give him the basic instructions...)
Like the older style too....not a big fan of the new interior AND honestly, I don't think needs all that technology the Touring version offers.....
Still debating,,,,either way, both cars won't last long in lots so I have to make a decision soon.

I guess I'm looking for wise advice since I don't want a good thing to pass by....
Thanks

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Less bells and whistles = less to break. Lower miles, I'm leaning towards the 08.
If possible, I'd want to know more info on the timing belt job. Was it done by the dealership (OEM)? What brand were the parts? Were all the components replaced that are associated with this job.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Less bells and whistles = less to break. Lower miles, I'm leaning towards the 08.
If possible, I'd want to know more info on the timing belt job. Was it done by the dealership (OEM)? What brand were the parts? Were all the components replaced that are associated with this job.
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking at it on Sat. and will read CarFax carefully. I think it was done at Honda dealership BUT what else is "typically" associated with timing belt service (...so I can be are of...)? Waterpump, too?
Thanks again

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking at it on Sat. and will read CarFax carefully. I think it was done at Honda dealership BUT what else is "typically" associated with timing belt service (...so I can be are of...)? Waterpump, too?
Thanks again
  • Timing Belt
  • Tensioner
  • Tensioner Pulley
  • Idler Pulley
  • Water Pump

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So here is the highlights on the CarFax on this '08 Pilot:
ALL service done at Honda dealership (same dealer it is being sold from too...)
Regular oil changes at 5500k
Trans/diffrerntial oil change at 30K
Front brakes serviced/Rear replaced at 42K
Left air bag recall/replaced and Induction system service (what is that..?) at 45K
Tensioner/idler checked at 49K
Brake fluid flush at 52K
New tires (Michelins) at 54K
Antifreeze change, differential/rear differential at 57K
Battery replaced at 69K
A/C service at 72K
Radiator replaced at 73K

Seems well cared for........still worth 10K? (I know, I'm sure they bought on the real cheap and trying to squeeze every penny for it, too...but hey..it seems like it might be worth it?!)

Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
So here is the highlights on the CarFax on this '08 Pilot:
ALL service done at Honda dealership (same dealer it is being sold from too...)
Regular oil changes at 5500k
Trans/diffrerntial oil change at 30K
Front brakes serviced/Rear replaced at 42K
Left air bag recall/replaced and Induction system service (what is that..?) at 45K
Tensioner/idler checked at 49K
Brake fluid flush at 52K
New tires (Michelins) at 54K
Antifreeze change, differential/rear differential at 57K
Battery replaced at 69K
A/C service at 72K
Radiator replaced at 73K

Seems well cared for........still worth 10K? (I know, I'm sure they bought on the real cheap and trying to squeeze every penny for it, too...but hey..it seems like it might be worth it?!)

Thanks
It’s hard to determine the worth of someone else’s car. Are you willing to spend $10k on it? It’s relatively safe, reliable and has been well cared for.
The dealer didn’t just pull that price out of their butt...meaning it was based on something. How long has it been for sale? If I were in the market for something like that, id try to talk them down of course but it doesn’t seem insanely overpriced for the mileage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s hard to determine the worth of someone else’s car. Are you willing to spend $10k on it? It’s relatively safe, reliable and has been well cared for.
The dealer didn’t just pull that price out of their butt...meaning it was based on something. How long has it been for sale? If I were in the market for something like that, id try to talk them down of course but it doesn’t seem insanely overpriced for the mileage.
Its only been on market for 3 days.. I think I'll hit them with 10K out the door (and stand firm) They said they would "throw in" (and install) a backup camera as well. Not sure of the value of that but it can't be much.....

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
My best recommendation would be to reach out to your insurance company, and see how much the value of the vehicle is through them. Other thing to do is try and find comparable's as well. In regards to pricing, see if you can get them to do $9999 (or less) out the door cash, that will keep them from having to file a bunch of extra government paperwork. Or see if you can possibly get a better OTD price via their financing, and then use your preferred lender/loan to pay it off the next day if not paying cash. This will give the illusion to the dealer they might actually make some of that price-cut back on interest, and you'll get an extra "paid as agreed" entry on your credit score for a structured loan (win-win for you, only person getting the sour side of the deal is the Dealer, which they will easily make-up for by gouging another person at some point for something).

One other thing to find out... what is the Down Payment requirement for the vehicle. This price in some cases can reflect what they paid for it on a trade-in/otherwise.

Good luck! As a reference point, in June 2020 I got a 08 EX-L with 129k miles on it for $6750 before title + tax, for further details about it's condition, see my thread here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE:
No deal on Pilot. They knocked of $200 so out the door would be 11500
Tried every negotiation but but they said the demand fir it is “huge”
Granted it is a cream puff after inspecting it and reading CarFax (driven at most 6k per year and oil change every 2k....older woman driver.)
BUT, it’s not worth 11500....I’m not letting emotion drive me to make a wrong decision here

thanjs for the advice

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
UPDATE:
No deal on Pilot. They knocked of $200 so out the door would be 11500
Tried every negotiation but but they said the demand fir it is “huge”
Granted it is a cream puff after inspecting it and reading CarFax (driven at most 6k per year and oil change every 2k....older woman driver.)
BUT, it’s not worth 11500....I’m not letting emotion drive me to make a wrong decision here

thanjs for the advice
Simply make them an offer you can live with and let them sit on it. You never know, they may call back later and accept.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Why would it need a new radiator @ 73K ? ? ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know...especially when the owner only put at most 6k on engine every year. Also, I forgot to list that it got a new battery at 30K and then again at 70K....Why, I asked? No real answer.
I think they soaked this owner. Granted, the car is very clean but really, they made a ton of money off this first owner.
Also, this owner originally bought the car there and traded it in to get a new CR-V....hence, probably, the high trade in value and subsequently, high sticker price (and then throw in all the service $$), they are going to make a killing on this sale.
I threw all this reasoning in when I negotiated....and still no movement!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts