Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Honda Pilot V 6. The timing belt was Supposley replaced three years ago. I was driving on the highway around 75MPH when the belt broke. Had it towed to the Honda Dealer.

My question to the group is, What is the probability that the pistons are ok even with slight witness marks from the valves? I haven't pulled the heads off yet, but if I can safely get away with replacing the valves that's what I would like to do. Has anyone had experience with the belt breaking and limiting the damage to just the valves?.

My second question is if the pistons are cracked / heavily damaged can I pull the oil pan off and replace pistons/bearings or do you have to pull the engine to repair.

Honda wants $7,000 for a new replacement and $4,300 for a used with 140,000 miles. Nuts to both..

Thanks in advance.

L

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,857 Posts
With the speed you stated you were going I would say you have two choices. New/rebuilt engine or used Pilot. When the belt broke all bets were off in that engine. Everything was moving at its own speed and if you don't have significant damage it would be a miracle.

If you go for a used Pilot if you found another 2008 you would be set for parts for a long time to come.

·
Registered
312 Posts
AWD or FWD? I would go to Car-part.com and get an idea of what a used engine for your model cost in your area so you can get a better handle on what they are charging for labor. I would not go new.
I did a CRV one time that broke the belt in the interstate. I pulled the valve cover and you could tell the number of valves bent because they were not closing all the way. When I started adding up the cost of the valves and the unknown of what I would find when I pulled the head I just put a used engine in it. Still running after 100,000 miles more.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Bent valves for sure.
Remove heads and inspect pistons and cylinder walls. (You could use a camera through the spark plug holes). Rotate crank to see if it's working fine. I personally know of a 08 Accord V6 that broke a belt. Heads were replaced and the vehicle is in service today. There is always the fear of unseen damage.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,177 Posts
I highly doubt the engine survived without damage since you were driving at highway speed.

Personally I think you may be better off finding another vehicle due to the cost of getting a replacement engine. That is unless you can find a used engine, a reputable shop to perform the work, and a warranty period that you’re comfortable with.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
My second question is if the pistons are cracked / heavily damaged can I pull the oil pan off and replace pistons/bearings or do you have to pull the engine to repair.
You can replace rods, rod bearings and pistons with heads, oil pan and baffle removed.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Administrator
4,857 Posts
Purty, but my wife objects to the idea of me taking her parking space to put a vehicle hoist into our garage. She also objects to the cost of such a unit. She thinks there are other things we could do with the $3000 - $4000 a good one costs.

Warning to those thinking of getting one. If your wife tells you that the budget hoist will do, make sure you change your beneficiary before you purchase one. That way her new husband won't get all your money. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 2005 Pilot's timing belt broke at about 195K miles. It was set to be replaced at 210K. It had been done at 105K as per schedule. I was driving about 40 mph when it happened.

The dealer was absolutely no help. The quoted over $10,000 to replace the engine. I took it to my independent dealer. It cost $3401. The timing belt replacement would have cost about $1800, so the net cost was $1600. They had to replace all the valves. They had to send the cylinder head out to be re-machined.They replaced a whole lot of parts. When complete the car ran like a top. I now have 242K miles on it.

However, about 4 months ago (40K miles after the engine repair) I found the oil pump was leaking. Unfortunately, the leak allowed oil onto the timing belt, which over time would cause the timing belt to fail. They replaced all sorts of gaskets and the oil pump. What I don't know is if it would have been better to replace all the gaskets and oil pump at the same time as the damage to the engine because of the timing belt failure. Someone else may know if the savings in labor would have been worth it. The gaskets, oil pump etc cost $1492.

Until the timing belt failure my 2005 pilot except for normal maintenance I had zero repair issues. My previous Ford Windstar had many repairs including a replaced engine at 80K under warranty. At 165K the transmission failed.

·
Administrator
4,857 Posts
Short answer, yes. Maybe it's just me, but when ever I used to rebuild an engine I generally replaced all the gaskets, seals, damaged parts of course, oil pump, water pump, thermostat etc. & starter depending on the engine. Doing so usually eliminates the kind of thing you experienced. Sorry you had the issues you did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts