Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Pilot stopped running at intersection last week close to home. Got it started enough, chugged it home. Engine shaking when trying to start. Changed all plugs in case one bad. Getting spark to all cylinders. Same deal, won't fire up. Shaking trying to start. Brought into shop.

*Note. I rebuild firewall head, new crankshaft sensor, belt kit, etc after timing belt broke 2.5 yrs ago. New valves etc. Car ran great til now.

Shop checked timing, said all is where it should be. Compression good. Getting spark to all cylinders. Fuel pressure good they said. Next suspected clogged cat converters, they did test, all OK.

Now they want to see if valve clearances good. we aren't in much $ now. I could check valve clearances at home, but then what? Or pay them 600$ to do it..?

Either way, what else could it be? I don't get it.. Pls help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked about that and the guy didn't write anything down so I'm going to see if I can get the codes it is throwin. i'll reply soon as I can.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
I'm thinking VVT.
Was your Check Engine Light on?
Milage?
2wd or AWD?

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
I am getting codes from the shop in regards to the CEL, will post up but they on lunch now.
Mileage like 230K
AWD
Yes, see what the codes are. Your at the milage that the VVT can give you problems. The gasket screen could be clogged. The solenoid could be toast. Either or, if this has not been serviced, I'm looking there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, see what the codes are. Your at the milage that the VVT can give you problems. The gasket screen could be clogged. The solenoid could be toast. Either or, if this has not been serviced, I'm looking there.
Ok, gal just called me back. She said the codes thrown were all 6 cylinder misfire codes. Said that over time, the valve adjustment could tighten up...?.. 2 yrs running well since my head rebuild.. so..there's that.

No code for P2640 or whateer it is for the VVT. No code for MAF stuff is what she said...

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Ok, gal just called me back. She said the codes thrown were all 6 cylinder misfire codes. Said that over time, the valve adjustment could tighten up...?.. 2 yrs running well since my head rebuild.. so..there's that.

No code for P2640 or whateer it is for the VVT. No code for MAF stuff is what she said...
To say the least, I'm perturbed about your situation. Something is causing 6 misfire codes.
I know what I would be doing if it was my vehicle in my home garage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had random misfires in all 6 cylinders @ 260K miles. I did a valve adjustment and all the misfire codes were gone. My car never died though. If you are able to check the clearances at home like you said then why don’t you just finish the job and adjust them while you’re there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To say the least, I'm perturbed about your situation. Something is causing 6 misfire codes.
I know what I would be doing if it was my vehicle in my home garage.
Yes for sure, perturbed for sure. trying to ask around, get more ideas, advice. I can do the valve adjustment, but would love to KNOW what the problem is.. first..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had random misfires in all 6 cylinders @ 260K miles. I did a valve adjustment and all the misfire codes were gone. My car never died though. If you are able to check the clearances at home like you said then why don’t you just finish the job and adjust them while you’re there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Car is at the shop right now. could get it towed and do the adjustment this weekend. her car and I'm 30 mins away #hercarmyproblem.

But maybe they're right. they are busy at the shop so no problem getting it back to her place and I spend my Saturday doing it..to save her some cash... but thanks for reply.. leaning on needing a valve adjustment right now. Also, compression is good apparently so no damage to any valves yet, hopefully they aren't burnt?..

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
Driving over a big pothole tends to solve my cylinder 1-6 misfire code. I get it about twice a year. I can’t give you a guarantee but it’s worth a try😂

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Check EGR passages in the intake manifold. Soot can clog them, cause misfires.

However, it doesn't sound like EGR. Sounds like the problem came on all of a sudden. Did you remove air cleaner and check for an obstruction, like a dead squirrel that made a nest? Have you made someone really mad, maybe they poured some syrup in your gas tank?

The valve adjustment story sounds bogus, just a way to get a nice fat service charge out of you. Valve clearances tighten up slowly. I doubt there is much change after 2 years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check EGR passages in the intake manifold. Soot can clog them, cause misfires.

However, it doesn't sound like EGR. Sounds like the problem came on all of a sudden. Did you remove air cleaner and check for an obstruction, like a dead squirrel that made a nest? Have you made someone really mad, maybe they poured some syrup in your gas tank?

The valve adjustment story sounds bogus, just a way to get a nice fat service charge out of you. Valve clearances tighten up slowly. I doubt there is much change after 2 years.
Seems to have happened all of a sudden, yeah. Car owner filled up, now I'm questioning what with...? but came over to my place 30 miles, spent the night, drove back and almost got home before car died.

The shop has been real good, actually dig them.. gave the gal, Pilot owner, a loaner for time being.. and the shop knows that I've rebuild the head and etc... so shop gal even said.. well.. you could probably do this but the technician says he'd do a valve adjustment next.

Posted up on FB as well and there was another saying that 6 random misfires corrected by valve adjustment....but car didn't die like hers is.. so..

Anyways shop been good, so I dont think they're trying to scam some easy hours..

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,306 Posts
Just throwing it out there, but a friend filled his CRV with diesel by mistake because the bush league gas station / delivery truck dude put diesel in the station's underground tank for regular. In the end their insurance paid, but with endless hassles before and after.

·
Registered
349 Posts
A diesel nozzle is too big to fit inside modern cars that run on unleaded gas. Anything made post 1990ish should have an unleaded filler neck too small to fit diesel. The chances of a tanker pumping diesel into the unleaded tanks is probably less than 0.01% on a bad day.

When I was younger, I accidentally put $5 of diesel in my 66 Olds. Realized the mistake and added some unleaded. The 330 was spitting mad when I parked it 20 miles later. Needed to drop the tank, clean/rebuild the carb and change the plugs - but the ole V8 ran fine. I don't think a modern unleaded engine with fuel injectors could get 5 miles on diesel, let alone 30 and another day.

However, E85 is another story and that nozzle will fit. I suspect running E85 would destroy seals, valve seats and possibly the head gasket and aluminum heads. For OP's sake, I hope not...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, going to get the Pilot towed back into her garage and I guess I'll do the valve clearance check/adjustment. Crossing fingers that'll do it.

I'll check back in after, let ya'll know what's going on and the results of the valve check.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Something else to consider - instead of E85 or diesel - any chance there could be water in the gas? Has it been really humid there, or any reports of bad gas at any of the stations? I think you're also thinking this because you mentioned the recent fill up. I'm also getting too old to believe in simple coincidences anymore...haha.

I know it's not as common nowadays and as much of a concern because almost all refineries add ethanol to the 87 octane blend, but water in the gas (or trapped condensation in the tank) would give you those exact symptoms. It would also explain how it drove ok for 30 miles and then didn't start - the gas and water were originally blended after fill up but then separated overnight when it was parked. Went to start it the next day and the injectors pulled enough water through the line that it can spark all day and never ignite. I think E85 would still start - even if it was a little rough from the low octane, I'm pretty sure it would still sputter (and you said you're getting nothing).

I mention it because you could try to simply add an octane booster (or other additive for water) to the tank, let it sit overnight and then crank it the next morning to see if it starts. Something cheap and simple. They also sell cheap kits to test the water content, and there are some hack videos on YouTube for backyard checks.

Personally I'd probably at least investigate this before getting into the valves. However, full disclaimer - I also say this because I'm still personally struggling to understand how your valves could go from running fine to not starting overnight, that's just - well - not how it usually works and therefore somewhat bizarre...

Either way - happy hunting and Good luck!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts