Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
165000 miles. 5w20 oil. i have been taking to dealer for oil change every 4200 miles-4800 miles. now dealer charges 50$ (last 5 years i only paid 22-29 only with coupon ). if i do it by myself which oil to buy synthetic or semi synthetic? which brand

·
Registered
157 Posts
Simple answer: "full" Synthetic, semi synthetic is a rip off. Even oil that is advertised as 100% synthetic can be only 80% synthetic. As long as the base oil is 100% synthetic the oil can be advertised as 100% synthetic even though it's only 80% synethic. Up to 20% of the additives can be mixed in with non- synthetic oil and still advertised as full synthetic. This is called the carrier oil.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,263 Posts
Oh, goody, an oil thread. :D

I'm going to jump in with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic.

Next...

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,407 Posts
As long as it's oil it won't mess up your engine. A lot of people (including myself) like Mobil1 but again, as long as its the proper weight it doesn't matter. Synthetic or conventional is fine as long as you change it frequently.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I vote for Costco Kirkland full synthetic. The weight available at my local store is 5w-30. I think that is close enough, and do a change about every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,839 Posts
If you were only paying ~$25 for the oil change I'd guess conventional oil was used. And if you maintain the ~4.5K mile oil change interval I think you'd be wasting your money going with semi or full synthetic (unless the cost difference versus conventional oil is minimal).

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
501 Posts
Valvoline MaxLife ATF! Oh wait, that's not the answer to everything. I use Mobil 1, 5W-20 from Costco. It's on sale every other month there, or I can just buy a 5 quart jug at Walmart for about the same price per quart.

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
165000 miles. 5w20 oil. i have been taking to dealer for oil change every 4200 miles-4800 miles. now dealer charges 50$ (last 5 years i only paid 22-29 only with coupon ). if i do it by myself which oil to buy synthetic or semi synthetic? which brand
Honda of Downtown Chicago
synthetic-blend - $29.99
Auto Repair Deals | Honda Service Coupons | Honda of Downtown Chicago

Castle Honda - Morton Grove
conventional 5W-20 with tire rotation - $29.99
Auto Service Specials in Morton Grove, IL | Castle Honda

Continental Honda - Countryside
conventional - $29.95
synthetic-blend - $39.95
Car service coupons Chicago IL | Continental Honda Service

Ed Napleton Honda - Oak Lawn
only mentions "full synthetic extra" - $14.95
Honda Service Specials Honda Service in Oak Lawn

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if i get full synthetic oil change 5w20 . What are the Synthetic Oil Change Interval miles and months?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,274 Posts
Here is what Honda says about using Synthetic in your vehicle.

Synthetic Oil
You may use a synthetic motor oil if it meets the same requirements given for a conventional motor oil: it displays the API certification seal, and it is the proper weight. You must follow the oil and filter change intervals shown on the information display.

With the age/mileage of the vehicle I would follow that advise if you switch to synthetic.

Also be vigilant for any leaks. Switching from a standard oil or semi synthetic oil to a full synthetic in high mileage vehicles can produce leaking issues with full synthetic. If this happens, just switch back to what you were using.

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
if i get full synthetic oil change 5w20 . What are the Synthetic Oil Change Interval miles and months?
Have you been following the maintenance minder oil life display?
Have you been taking your Pilot to dealer for oil changes every 4200 miles-4800 miles because the oil life gets to 0% at that mileage?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you been following the maintenance minder oil life display?
Have you been taking your Pilot to dealer for oil changes every 4200 miles-4800 miles because the oil life gets to 0% at that mileage?
i am the owner since 2012. last 8 years i took pilot to dealer for oil change. i always follow display at 20% if the reminder is On i take my car to dealer with in 50 miles. most mileage i drove is 5250 miles in 2014. least is 4200 in 2018. last 5 oil changes are 4600,4415,4750,4712,4200.

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Listen to the Project Farm guy. I quit Mobil 1 and am in the process of converting all 9 of my gasoline vehicles to Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil. This along with a Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter (made with synthetic fiber) I believe is the best oil change you can do. It's all available at Wal-Mart.

Reactions: Oh3CoPilot

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
i am the owner since 2012. last 8 years i took pilot to dealer for oil change. i always follow display at 20% if the reminder is On i take my car to dealer with in 50 miles. most mileage i drove is 5250 miles in 2014. least is 4200 in 2018. last 5 oil changes are 4600,4415,4750,4712,4200.
Curious, is 20% when the Maintenance Minder pops up on the 2008 Pilot? My 2013 Pilot the MM didn't pop up until 15%, at which point I would make arrangements for service. I do an approximate mix of 50/50 city/highway driving and was getting about 6800-7100 mile before the MM would come on. As I was never in a rush, but the time I got it in for service I was usually down to 5% -10% oil life.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Listen to the Project Farm guy. I quit Mobil 1 and am in the process of converting all 9 of my gasoline vehicles to Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil. This along with a Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter (made with synthetic fiber) I believe is the best oil change you can do. It's all available at Wal-Mart.
View attachment 137705
NOOOOOOOO................................... SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!!!

Thats like Laurel leaving Hardy, Abbot leaving Costello, or Bunny Rabbit leaving Captain Kangaroo! I hope this turns out well for you but I fear that it will be much like when Curley was replaced by Shemp, the Three Stooges were never quite the same again. 😄

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
If you're always having the oil changed at 20% and resetting the maintenance minder, then you're missing all of the other codes for the other maintenance items that don't appear until the oil life gets down to 15% or less.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
If you're always having the oil changed at 20% and resetting the maintenance minder, then you're missing all of the other codes for the other maintenance times that don't appear until the oil life gets down to 15% or less.
Good Point, I didn't think about the codes, as with my MM they just show up at the 15%.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts