Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L FWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I have a FWD 2008 Honda Pilot that hasn’t really been driven much over the last year after a death in the family. It needs a fair amount of work now and I just need/want to sell it.

I installed a new battery so I could make sure it runs and drives. It does...yay! But when I started it up, a transmission fluid line broke and the fluid leaked out, pretty quickly.

I don’t want to spend the money to fix the hose, but I want to at least be able to move it around and start it up to show potential buyers that it does run and drive.

My question is this: should I buy a few quarts of transmission fluid to have on hand to pour into it when I want to start it and move it? If I were to put a quart or 2 of fluid in, would I even be able to safely start and move the truck? I know the fluid will just leak out very very quickly...but I don’t want to do any harm to the truck if I start it or move it without any fluid at all. I assume it would need at least SOME fluid in there, even for a short time? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I know nothing...and would appreciate any information anyone is willing to provide. Thank you. :)
(I’m in Massachusetts)
Sue

·
Registered
2007 EX-L
404 Posts
Do you know if it was a hard line, or a rubber line that failed? In a pinch you could loop the hoses, bypassing the radiator. This all depends on where the line is broken. If it's a hard line right by the trans, this won't work. Also, fill out your location so we know at least what state we're dealing with.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L FWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know if it was a hard line, or a rubber line that failed? In a pinch you could loop the hoses, bypassing the radiator. This all depends on where the line is broken. If it's a hard line right by the trans, this won't work. Also, fill out your location so we know at least what state we're dealing with.
I’m outside of Boston, Massachusetts. I don’t know if it’s a hard line or a rubber line. If I get under the car, would it be easy for me to determine which one?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
You will get more money for it if you fix it and sell it than sell it as is. No one, at least no one in their right mind, will pay good money for a vehicle that they can't test drive. If you don't fix it you will more than likely make not much more than if you sell it for scrap.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
My advice would be to fix the hose. I'm sure Boston has mobile mechanics, otherwise take a much lower price on Craigslist.

Reactions: SusanB

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My question is this: should I buy a few quarts of transmission fluid to have on hand to pour into it when I want to start it and move it? If I were to put a quart or 2 of fluid in, would I even be able to safely start and move the truck? I know the fluid will just leak out very very quickly...but I don’t want to do any harm to the truck if I start it or move it without any fluid at all
Doubtful anyone can fill the ATF fluid fast enough NOT to have permanent damage. The leak won’t go away without repair and will only get worse. The repair may be simple or a bit complex but much cheaper than a new trans or accepting salvage value for the otherwise fine Pilot.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L FWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I’ll get it fixed. Can I even start it to put it on a tow truck to get it to my mechanics or can I not even move it without fluid in it?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Ok I’ll get it fixed. Can I even start it to put it on a tow truck to get it to my mechanics or can I not even move it without fluid in it?
Obviously it can not be driven, so starting it won't be necessary. I'd rely on the tow truck drivers experience. He would appreciate the keys to get it out of park.

Reactions: SusanB and aggrex

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L FWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Obviously it can not be driven, so starting it won't be necessary. I'd rely on the tow truck drivers experience. He would appreciate the keys to get it out of park.
Ok, thank you all so much. I’m going to call my mechanic now and get a quote and get it towed there. I appreciate you all talking sense into me!! Even if it’s a couple hundred dollars to fix, it will be money well spent and I’ll make it back. (I really do hope it’s an easy fix though!!!)
Thanks again.
Sue

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
You're doing the right thing, for others and for yourself, getting it towed and fixed. It shouldn't be too, too expensive. Hope you have a trusted mechanic who won't bamboozle you; otherwise, talk to the mechanic accompanied by someone who's car-savvy.

Let us know how it goes for fixing then selling it.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
You're doing the right thing, for others and for yourself, getting it towed and fixed. It shouldn't be too, too expensive. Hope you have a trusted mechanic who won't bamboozle you; otherwise, talk to the mechanic accompanied by someone who's car-savvy.

Let us know how it goes for fixing then selling it.
Inform the mechanic that all pics of the ATF leak will be reviewed by the Big Bad Piloteers DaltonGang. No funny stuff will be tolerated and the infusion of MaxLife would be appreciated :p

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello. I have a FWD 2008 Honda Pilot that hasn’t really been driven much over the last year after a death in the family. It needs a fair amount of work now and I just need/want to sell it.

I installed a new battery so I could make sure it runs and drives. It does...yay! But when I started it up, a transmission fluid line broke and the fluid leaked out, pretty quickly.

I don’t want to spend the money to fix the hose, but I want to at least be able to move it around and start it up to show potential buyers that it does run and drive.

My question is this: should I buy a few quarts of transmission fluid to have on hand to pour into it when I want to start it and move it? If I were to put a quart or 2 of fluid in, would I even be able to safely start and move the truck? I know the fluid will just leak out very very quickly...but I don’t want to do any harm to the truck if I start it or move it without any fluid at all. I assume it would need at least SOME fluid in there, even for a short time? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I know nothing...and would appreciate any information anyone is willing to provide. Thank you. :)
(I’m in Massachusetts)
Sue
I am sorry how many miles

1 - 14 of 14 Posts