Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the suburbs of Philadelphia. My Honda dealer just told me the above would cost between $1600 and $2000. Reasonable? I am at 112,000 miles.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
That is pretty reasonable dealer rip off price.
I paid $1,000 for an independent Honda mechanic.
I think the most my dealership in GA will charge is $1,400.

Make sure they are replacing the timing belt, tensioner and water pump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is pretty reasonable dealer rip off price.
I paid $1,000 for an independent Honda mechanic.
I think the most my dealership in GA will charge is $1,400.

Make sure they are replacing the timing belt, tensioner and water pump.
Did you pay $1000 for timing belt, tensioner and water pump?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Quality parts for the job are generally around $300 (if you shop wisely). Then general mechanic's labor would be around $400. The previous owner of my 08 EXL did the timing belt 7k miles just prior to my purchase, and spent a little over $700 for it using a kit from Orielly's. This would also be an opportune time to replace the serpentine belt, and thermostat as preventative items.

I would also recommend doing a "tune-up" at the same time (e.g. new spark plugs, check valve lash, clean EGR, check/replace PCV valve, change power steering fluid, etc).

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Did you pay $1000 for timing belt, tensioner and water pump?
timing belt, tensioner, serpentine belt, water pump and full coolant exchange. There were a few other things included, I just can’t quite remember.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
If you can, get your quote in writing, it be best. That's a very high price unless your getting other maintainace parts replaced.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,300 Posts
My forum told me...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the same experience here in the Baltimore, MD area. Stealership quoted me $1500. The independent shop I use charged me $975 for the entire timing belt "kit." (Timing belt, tensioner, water pump and Honda coolant.) They also showed me that they used OEM parts for the service.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Price is too high. My dealer quoted $1200. I did it myself for about $300. A good independent mechanic should be able to do it for under $1000. Under no circumstances would I pay that price to the dealer. The SERP belt has to be taken off at the same time so it’s just the price of the belt. 30-70 bux.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Thank you all! Contacting my local mechanic!
Ask what parts they will use. Possibly ask for the Aisin Timing Belt Water Pump Kit.
Parts included:
  • Timing Belt
  • Timing Belt Tensioner
  • Tensioner Bearing
  • Idler Bearing
  • Water Pump w/Gasket
Quote should come with Coolant Flush and a new Serpentine Drive Belt and possibly an new Drive Belt Tensioner (inspect/replace if needed)
If the spark plugs have not been replaced in 112k miles, I'd get a quote for a set of NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs (these are OE). We'd love to hear what you find.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I may get a lot of hate for this, but $1,600 for that area does not seem to be out of line. Everything is more expensive in the NE.
It's always really hard to answer people's questions when it comes to cost of maintenance because stuff is just going to be cheaper in Kansas vs. California (as an example).

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm from Long Island so the price I gave is a downstate New York price. To be honest I prob could have gotten done cheaper but this guy came recommended from someone I trust.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I may get a lot of hate for this, but $1,600 for that area does not seem to be out of line. Everything is more expensive in the NE.
It's always really hard to answer people's questions when it comes to cost of maintenance because stuff is just going to be cheaper in Kansas vs. California (as an example).
Unless the shop is in downtown NYC, I just don't see it. If $1600 is THE rate that everyone charges... take a drive or learn to DIY. It's not a FUN job and takes a while, but it's not nearly as hard as some would lead people to believe.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Unless the shop is in downtown NYC, I just don't see it. If $1600 is THE rate that everyone charges... take a drive or learn to DIY. It's not a FUN job and takes a while, but it's not nearly as hard as some would lead people to believe.
Hourly rate, taxes, parts mark up can cause a huge difference in price. I'm not saying that's a good deal by any means. I like to DIY some things, but $1,000 in the grand scheme of things isn't a lot. I trust my mechanic who we've been going to for 20+ years. I admire people who have the guts to do it themselves.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
If you can turn a wrench and have the time. It does take some prep work (I don't have to tell you). What's really cool is you end up with More tools! All paid for and money left over after the DIY. Everyone should own a torque wrench, right? Anyway, there are lots of YouTube videos on various Honda V6 models which are pretty much the same.
I understand the fear of messing up, but if you take your time and double check your work, it's possible to bank a lot of cash. Bust that crankshaft pulley bolt on video and brag to your friends!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts