Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I purchased a 2008 Pilot EX-L about 2 months ago. It has 177,500 miles right now and basically since I purchased it, the power steering has been intermittently very stiff at idle and low speeds. I did an improvised power steering fluid flush (using Honda fluid). I used a turkey baster and drained the reservoir a few times. That helped a little but it seems to be worse now. I have searched several posts on this forum and a lot of people mention a loud noise (Our 2006 Odyssey had this noise). My Pilot has not had this noise so I am unsure what to do.

I'd like to start small, such as replacing the power steering pump and o-ring. The car already had a new rack and pinion installed about 35,000 miles ago (which seems very early).
Any tips on what is causing this stiff steering? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I'd like to start small, such as replacing the power steering pump and o-ring. The car already had a new rack and pinion installed about 35,000 miles ago (which seems very early).
Normally, that would seem like a reasonable place to start. The variable here, though, is that you had a new rack and pinion installed 35,000 miles ago. Occam's razor would beg the question, "Why?" And how confident are you the job was done well?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Normally, that would seem like a reasonable place to start. The variable here, though, is that you had a new rack and pinion installed 35,000 miles ago. Occam's razor would beg the question, "Why?" And how confident are you the job was done well?
Agreed.... its also adds another issue the pump its self may been the culprit this whole time swapping the rack n pinion is not a hard task just tedious since there is a lot of parts to remove before you can pull the thing out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts