Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I was driving our 2008 Pilot touring around town when I began to hear a squealing noise from the front end. At first it was intermittent, but then became more persistent. The sound was not engine rpm dependant and would occur whether or not the brakes were applied.

After a few minutes of slow driving the sound became so loud that it seemed like something was going to let loose. When I looked under the vehicle, I could see oil near the driver's side CV seal by the transmission. The steering CV boot also appeared to be covered in oil next to it. I had to park it for the night and catch a ride home.

I live on a country road that was flooded heavily last month. I believe mud was caked up in the front end from driving in some ruts. I have to assume that these poor conditions have caused this problem.

This doesn't sound like a typical CV joint problem, does anyone recognize these symptoms? I am trying to figure out if this is something I can repair myself.

Thank you for your assistance.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,159 Posts
What is the fluid level in the power steering reservoir? If that third photo is the power steering rack I wonder if the leak caused the pump to run dry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check that tomorrow when I get back to where we parked the vehicle. Thank you for the suggestion. I will report back with my findings.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Assuming the noise is from the power steering (PS) pump the muddy ruts you drove through may have damaged/dislodged a PS fluid line. Good chance to DIY repair the lines if you're handy. If the PS fluid is low there will be loud squealing so pick up some Honda PS fluid. The muddy ruts may have had debris that may have cause the damage. Based off the pic the amount of mud collected down there looks like you were off-roading the Pilot in the mud.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The "mudding" was from going up and down our shared private road to the house. My wife wasnt to keen on parking 1/4 mile away and walking the rest of the way to the house... Living in the country has it's perks, but this isn't one of them. A month of non stop rain ruined our road and it couldn't be repaired until it finally dried out a week ago. Five dump loads of gravel and oversize rock later, it is nice and smooth.

I'm headed over to check out the fluid levels this morning now that I have some daylight.

Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts