Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've tried to search for an answer but no luck and I'm rushing to start work so I apologize if the info was in front of me. I went to bolt my hitch on yesterday and to my horror the holes and part of frame that hitch bolts to is rusting away and on one side theres just frame holes and nothing with threads to bolt to. Is this area just part of the actual frame and impossible to fix or is it removable and replaceable with a lot of work? I am a somewhat experienced welder and can fabricate but as you can tell I do not know a whole lot about vehicle frames. I figured I'd ask here before I take it any where to get it looked at so I appreciate any help! I don't have pictures but I can go out and get some shortly. Like I said it's the hitch mount holes passenger side 3 holes have nothing attached to thread in and the metal around the holes is very week too. Thanks again guys!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Hi all, I've tried to search for an answer but no luck and I'm rushing to start work so I apologize if the info was in front of me. I went to bolt my hitch on yesterday and to my horror the holes and part of frame that hitch bolts to is rusting away and on one side theres just frame holes and nothing with threads to bolt to. Is this area just part of the actual frame and impossible to fix or is it removable and replaceable with a lot of work? I am a somewhat experienced welder and can fabricate but as you can tell I do not know a whole lot about vehicle frames. I figured I'd ask here before I take it any where to get it looked at so I appreciate any help! I don't have pictures but I can go out and get some shortly. Like I said it's the hitch mount holes passenger side 3 holes have nothing attached to thread in and the metal around the holes is very week too. Thanks again guys!

The hitch is supposed to bolt up to threaded inserts that are factory welded into extensions of the unit body frame rails. In salt states, this area is very vulnerable to rusting out. It sounds like your Pilot has suffered this fate. It's not repairable. Perhaps a talented welder could fabricate some sort of a patch job, but I would never trust a repair and pull a trailer with it. You are just asking for a lawsuit when your trailer pulls loose and kills somebody. This exact problem is why I cut out the hitch on my 2003 and bought a newer Pilot for camping.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I don't believe anyone here is going to tell you it's ok, but I've seen some very talented welders make some amazing fixes. If your one of these, I'm not one to tell you no. I'm sure it's all about having something to work with in the right places, cutting out the rust and being confident it's as good or better than factory when your done.
Some photos might encourage others to be more supportive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for the replies, I assumed that was the case since it looked like it was part of the actual frame but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that unbolted and i could buy a replacement to bolt or fab in its place. Oh well thanks again!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Interestinlgly, I'll be using my 08 SE to tow a light trailer with my motorcycle in it this weekend- to take it to and from a race track.

When I installed mine, I had a hard time. Don't tell anyone but it only has 2 of the 3 bolts on each side holding it on!

It was for a bike rack- no problem. This will be the first light trailer I'm towing with it.
I think I'll be allright with 2/3's of the attachments.

Or, I could use my 15 LX 4WD w/ trailer towing too.

** if people can fabricate the subframes that have rusted out on a Pilot, why couldn't you do the frame rails/hitch mounts?

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Interestinlgly, I'll be using my 08 SE to tow a light trailer with my motorcycle in it this weekend- to take it to and from a race track.

When I installed mine, I had a hard time. Don't tell anyone but it only has 2 of the 3 bolts on each side holding it on!

It was for a bike rack- no problem. This will be the first light trailer I'm towing with it.
I think I'll be allright with 2/3's of the attachments.

Or, I could use my 15 LX 4WD w/ trailer towing too.

** if people can fabricate the subframes that have rusted out on a Pilot, why couldn't you do the frame rails/hitch mounts?
Exactly!
I didn't want to discourage the OP.
I have some welding skill, but I wouldn't take on a job like that either.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I tried to look up the diagram of the chassis/frame of the 08 Pilot SE to try and see if any of it was removable. Obviously i dont know much about frames lol I mentioned that I could weld in case there was the possibility to "cut" those sections out and fab in new sections. I know it was probably a reach but unfortunately I need to pull a trailer and I do not want to get another vehicle, other than the horrible rust in the rear- this vehicle is in great shape and has only 120k on it. Very disappointing.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Hi all, I've tried to search for an answer but no luck and I'm rushing to start work so I apologize if the info was in front of me. I went to bolt my hitch on yesterday and to my horror the holes and part of frame that hitch bolts to is rusting away and on one side theres just frame holes and nothing with threads to bolt to. Is this area just part of the actual frame and impossible to fix or is it removable and replaceable with a lot of work? I am a somewhat experienced welder and can fabricate but as you can tell I do not know a whole lot about vehicle frames. I figured I'd ask here before I take it any where to get it looked at so I appreciate any help! I don't have pictures but I can go out and get some shortly. Like I said it's the hitch mount holes passenger side 3 holes have nothing attached to thread in and the metal around the holes is very week too.
Based off your description the rear frame rails on either side where the hitch is bolted onto should look similar with threaded holes. When you get the chance post some pics of both sides of the frame rail and the unibody cross member that the subframe bolts onto. If the rust is as bad as you described the integrity of the subframe and rear differential may be compromised for safe driving.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
Don't tell anyone but it only has 2 of the 3 bolts on each side holding it on!
Hey, when you said you were going to pull that trailer & motorcycle & stuff with no ATF cooler, I said OK and have fun. Didn't know about this. I dunno. That has the potential to turn your fun into not fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts