Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, wife is on the way to Grocery store and calls me that rear left tire is low about 2 miles away.

She pumps it up from 10-40psi, drives it two miles home. We can immediately hear leak - and it appears there's a nailgun nail stuck in it (tons of construction in the area).

Anyways. I'm getting ready to pull the wheel off so I can repair the tire, when I see this.

The left rear bump stop is completely rotted out. We never, ever haul - and only drive on improved roads so I don't feel like it's urgent to replace right this minute, but I would like to get it fixed.

It appears that this is the OEM replacement part for $31.

So my question are:

1) Does anyone know of somewhere I can get these cheaper? I know $31 isn't much - but my industry is tanking during the COVID times and I wanna save all the money I can. Also, these are just pieces of rubber - so I'd love a cheap aftermarket option, but couldn't find anything on RockAuto.

2) Any tips on replacing these without pulling the coil spring? I have the service manual and see the procedure on 18-42 for removing the whole spring to get to the bump stop, but I hate doing DIY heavy spring removal.
I've also seen this great little guide, but again - this is a lot of work (potentially dangerous work) to replace a hunk of rubber.
Anyone know a trick to squeeze in a new bump stop?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
The spring will need to be removed to access the bolt and remove the broken bump stop. The rear spring is compressed but not under super tremendous pressure once the rear quarter of the Pilot is lifted. Use a floor jack under the lower arm to control the pressure. Methodically remove components as per FSM and the job is diy possible if you have the tools, safety equipment, time and space. For $31 I would go with OEM because its simple, fits and will work with no other fitment issues.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
During the repair address any additional rusty bits down there with rust converter as well as the other bump stop and check the condition of the uni-body. Take note of the positioning of the spring pig tail ends and condition of the upper&lower spring insulators. The rear sway bar end links will be your biggest obstacle so plan on replacing them too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is a really easy repair. A powered impact wrench will make it easier but you can crack the bottom mount bolt with a good cheap breaker bar if you need to. The swaybar links on my 03 were easy. Allen wrench and socket and off it came.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
While you're down there, cast a glance over at the rear left subframe mount. Hopefully, there's won't be any unhappy surprises there, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts