Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t enter inside car using Honda fob key. I can hear clicking sound door doesn’t unlock.
When I use the key in the door to enter car. When I sit the driver seat and press the auto door lock switch assembly. When I press unlock doesn’t unlock then I press lock arrow all door locks driver door doesn’t lock.
I have to press the lock on driver side so the red line not visible. All 4 door locks
Which parts went bad? Or any connection loose or which parts to change?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,845 Posts
I could not fully understand what is working and what is not. If you answer these questions it will help narrow down the issue.
When you press the fob what doors lock?
When you press the fob which doors unlock?
When you press the driver door switch which doors lock?
When you press the driver door switch which doors unlock?
When you press the front passenger switch which doors lock?
When you press the front passenger switch which doors unlock?

Note that you may need to manually set the doors to the lock or unlock state prior to performing each experiment,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you press the fob what doors lock? when i am outside car with all door unlocked, when i press lock all 3 door locks except driver i can hear alarm sound when click lock 2 times.

When you press the fob which doors unlock? when i am outside car with all door locked Nothing unlocks i can hear light flickers. (i noticed if i leave driver side unlocked other 3 locked then i press unlock on fob now other door unlocks.

When you press the driver door switch which doors lock? except driver all door locks
When you press the driver door switch which doors unlock? except driver all door unlocks
When you press the front passenger switch which doors lock? except driver all door locks
When you press the front passenger switch which doors unlock? except driver all door unlocks

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I agree with andywatson. It sounds like the driver's door actuator is bad and needs to be replaced. Keep us posted on how that works out.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
If you're planning to DIY, this thread (which is for replacing a window regulator) might give you an idea how to get to the door actuator.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Yeah, but you don't necessarily need to buy OEM honda. I bought all generic ones on Amazon for around $15 each.
Please share your links and experiences. :)

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
Please share your links and experiences. :)
The exact amazon part I bought shows up as not available on their site now, but searching for that Honda part number on amazon brings up lots of generic actuators in the $12-15 range, all with favorable reviews except from people who bought the wrong part or didn't install it correctly.

It's a real pain in the butt to replace the actuator, you have to remove the door panel, the window guide, and then remove the entire locking mechanism from the door. This involves unclipping several plastic tabs that hold the various rods that go to the door handles and levers. So you need a good flashlight, and a mirror, and skinny fingers, plus a couple different lengths of needle nose pliers. The hardest part of getting the lock mechanism out of the door is the 3 screws that fasten it into the outer edge of the door. I had to replace all 4 of my actuators, which meant removing 12 screws total between the 4 doors. 8 of the 12 screws were seized and required high torque and careful turning with a PH3 screwdriver socket on my 1/2" wrench to break loose. Even then, 4 of them had the head strip, requiring me to drill them out with a countersink bit. Once I finally got them all out, I replaced them with new stainless hardware and used anti-seize compound on the threads when reassembling.

And once you've got the lock mechanism out, you've got to disassemble it carefully in order to remove the actuator from the metal frame that holds the locking parts, and then insert the new actuator without popping everything loose. There are only a few videos on Youtube that show the process, and most of them are really crappy and give bad advice. If I ever do it again, I plan to film it and make my own tutorial.

The good thing was that spending so much time playing around with the inner workings of the door made me confidant enough to remove the lock cylinders a month later and rekey all of the door locks to match the newer ignition cylinder.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered through amazon for 11$ received the parts today. All of a sudden now the driver lock works. using keyless and pressing the driver door swich all door locks and unlocks.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Sounds like you may have an intermittent electrical issue either related to the door lock actuator or its connections.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
I ordered through amazon for 11$ received the parts today. All of a sudden now the driver lock works. using keyless and pressing the driver door swich all door locks and unlocks.
Sentient parts who know when replacements have arrived and will start acting normal when they hear you're thinking of replacing them.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Sounds like you may have an intermittent electrical issue either related to the door lock actuator or its connections.
Yes, so check those wiring boots between the door and the jamb they go into. They undergo a good deal of movement, torsion and stress over the years, so inspect each wire and connection closely.

Sentient parts who know when replacements have arrived and will start acting normal when they hear you're thinking of replacing them.
Reminds me of when I was a smoker waiting for the bus to school in the winter. Frozen extremities, shivering limbs and chattering teeth had no effect, but light up a cigarette and the bus magically appeared on the horizon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts