Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have an 08 pilot with about 180k miles. The cylinder walls are damaged and I need a new short block.
I have not found many J35A blocks available but I have found the J32A short blocks at reasonable prices.

My question is for those familiar with these engines. I am reading that the J32 is actually a stronger block, more webbing and steel vs. aluminum piston sleeves. I am also reading that ppl regularly put J32 head on J35 blocks for added performance.
So my question is....
Can I buy a J32A short block(already built) and install it with my J35 heads, intake, and accessories?
Will these blocks simply swap for one another?

·
Registered
95 Posts
FWIW many years ago I was active on an Acura CL forum where a few members performed the opposite swap - J35 keeping the J32 heads. This required the transmission from the J35 donor (Odyssey) as the original J32 transmission would not bolt up to a J35 block. I think that's the part that would be relevant to you - I can't say for certain but I would put money down that the Pilot tranny won't bolt up to the J32 block.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
If I were to buy anything other than a J35 block it would be a J37 block... I'd love to find the J37/6MT setup out of a TL-SHAWD and throw that under the Pilot!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
no no no ...Cummins with an Alison Transmission ... :)

·
Registered
2,540 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
If I were to buy anything other than a J35 block it would be a J37 block... I'd love to find the J37/6MT setup out of a TL-SHAWD and throw that under the Pilot!
Look out for J37 engine with aluminum alloy cylinder liners. A silicate alloy is used, and is known for excessive oil consumption. My daughter has a 2010 TL that guzzles oil.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Look out for J37 engine with aluminum alloy cylinder liners. A silicate alloy is used, and is known for excessive oil consumption. My daughter has a 2010 TL that guzzles oil.
Haha if I'm ever in such a dream-worthy position I'll keep that in mind... I've relegated myself to the fact that by the time I can afford to get something with a manual again there will probably be a handful of options left. Too bad to hear that about the J37, the numbers were always quite impressive on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts