Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 Pilot with about 180K miles has started periodically losing power while driving. The power flickers for less than an second and then everything comes back on. When it does this it feels like the engine is turning off as well occasionally. I metered the battery and the alternator and they both seem fine. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
My 2008 Pilot with about 180K miles has started periodically losing power while driving. The power flickers for less than an second and then everything comes back on. When it does this it feels like the engine is turning off as well occasionally. I metered the battery and the alternator and they both seem fine. Does anyone have any ideas?
Do you have a check engine light on?
A few things can cause this.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
No check engine light.
You might check your 3 grounding cables. One from your frame to the engine, another from the frame to the transmission. And your battery ground cable is intact and cleanly connected to your frame.

Reactions: road2cycle

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts
You might check your 3 grounding cables. One from your frame to the engine, another from the frame to the transmission. And your battery ground cable is intact and cleanly connected to your frame.
Definitely where I'd start as well. Check all those cables end to end for looseness and/or corrosion and/ fraying.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Definitely where I'd start as well. Check all those cables end to end for looseness and/or corrosion and/ fraying.
EL Cheapo got a couple of these in the Wal-Mart order the other day for the old Civic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I removed and cleaned the battery cables and cleaned the battery terminals, cleaned the ground cable connection from the battery to the frame, and cleaned the ground cable connections from the block to the frame. I purchased a ground cable to run from the frame to the block, but haven't installed it yet.

I took it for a test drive last night and the problem didn't present itself. I'm planning to take it on a longer test drive tonight to see what happens.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I had the same thing happening with mine. It would do it periodically when i took my foot off the accelerator. It turned out to be a bad cell in the battery. Not bad enough that the car wouldn't start, but enough to make it do weird things. I'd go to an auto parts store and have them do a charging system diagnostic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts