Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2WD w Navi
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some shots of my recently purchased 08 Pilot EX-L in taffeta white and tan interior and only 94k miles. My wife and I drove up the coast just before sunset so I could get a few pics to post up for you. I’m really loving this car. Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Looks like it's in really nice shape. (y)

What, if any, maintenance items and/or mods are you planning?

Welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Looks great! I love the facelifted 1st gens.

I noticed the VCM badge on the engine cover, did we already discuss disabling VCM in your intro thread? If not, I highly suggest you look into it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What, if any, maintenance items and/or mods are you planning?
Well for starters, I’m working my way through the 1st Gen buyer’s guide posted elsewhere on the forum. I haven’t had a ton of time lately because of work and an ill elderly mom, but I hope to finish going over everything tomorrow. And this is now a post-purchase buyer’s guide...so I hope I don’t discover any deal breakers lol

Definite needed maintenance so far:
Serpentine belt (just confirmed this will be covered under the dealer warranty)
Water pump
Timing belt (mostly just for peace of mind as I’m not sure of the car’s service history)

To do over the next 3-6 months:
Shocks / struts
Rest of the recommended 105k service
New floor mats

Possible additional stuff TBD:
Radiator
Better tires—it has brand new tires, but they’re discount brand (Delinte) and I’m not sure I want drive this car’s next 30-40k miles on them

Modifications:
Tow hitch
Bike rack
I’m still undecided what to do about the VCM. I’ve only driven it 100 or so miles so far, so the jury’s still out on it.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I’m still undecided what to do about the VCM. I’ve only driven it 100 or so miles so far, so the jury’s still out on it.
You are in one of the first vehicles with VCM, I would highly encourage you to deactivate it. If the plugs haven't been replaced yet, pull them and see the difference on the VCM cylinders.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I noticed the VCM badge on the engine cover, did we already discuss disabling VCM in your intro thread? If not, I highly suggest you look into it.
Yeah, I gotta look into this more. I do notice the VCM interferes with the engine's responsiveness. I just haven't explored those threads enough yet to know what disabling it is going to entail...

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Yeah, I gotta look into this more. I do notice the VCM interferes with the engine's responsiveness. I just haven't explored those threads enough yet to know what disabling it is going to entail...
There are TONS of threads discussing VCM. All I will say is the earlier iteration of it (like yours being one of the first) the worse the possible issues can be. Honda has refined and improved the system over the years.

Reactions: PCH_Pilot

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I'd set up an account on the Honda owners website. Enter the VIN to see the service history. If it can not be determined when the timing belt was done, I'd park it until I could get it changed, along with the water pump. It's a great time to drain the radiator and fill with fresh coolant.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
There are TONS of threads discussing VCM.
tl:dr: Just snap one of these into position. Takes 5 minutes and you're done with hardly any grease under your nails. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tl:dr: Just snap one of these into position. Takes 5 minutes and you're done with hardly any grease under your nails. :)

Thanks for the tip about S-VCM! I watched a video somewhere in the VCM threads showing the wear it can cause to the cylinders, spark plugs and motor mounts. Definitely going to get this mod done if you all think it can extend the life of the car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd set up an account on the Honda owners website. Enter the VIN to see the service history. If it can not be determined when the timing belt was done, I'd park it until I could get it changed, along with the water pump. It's a great time to drain the radiator and fill with fresh coolant.
There’s no service history on the Honda site, and very little on AutoCheck and Carfax (which doesn’t mean a whole lot but still).

The dealer replaced the serpentine belt today under the drivetrain warranty. They said the radiator looks good. I’m going to call next week to get timing belt and water pump done too, but that’ll be out of pocket. We’re starting to plan some road trips for the summer so I want to get everything sorted now!

This car is inspiring me to take some automotive classes at the local community college 😁

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I prefer the look of the 1st gens on everything except the front grill. The second gen grill just looks cooler.
I'm assuming you mean the facelifted 2nd gen, not the HDMI 2nd gen...

·
Registered
10,290 Posts

Nope, and I'll state my case. Pre-facelift 2nd gen is manly and proud of it, and doesn't give a flying donut what you may think of it. Second gen facelift grille was the first squishy step down the slippery slope to 3rd gen soccermommitude.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope, and I'll state my case. Pre-facelift 2nd gen is manly and proud of it, and doesn't give a flying donut what you may think of it. Second gen facelift grille was the first squishy step down the slippery slope to 3rd gen soccermommitude.
Soccermommitude! I prefer the overall front-end appearance of the second gen, HDMI or facelift doesn't matter, I think both look great (although once you see the HDMI port, you will never unsee it). For me, it's the grille in combination with the headlights, fog lights, and front bumper. The first gen headlights look too small or too far apart from each other or something.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
590 Posts
Here are some shots of my recently purchased 08 Pilot EX-L in taffeta white and tan interior and only 94k miles. My wife and I drove up the coast just before sunset so I could get a few pics to post up for you. I’m really loving this car. Let me know what you think!

View attachment 148392 View attachment 148393 View attachment 148394 View attachment 148395 View attachment 148396 View attachment 148397 View attachment 148398 View attachment 148399 View attachment 148402 View attachment 148401

Damn, looks amazing for its age.

If you don't mind, you can PM, what was the damage $$?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
You have lost your mind, the gen 2.5 is SO much cleaner with the chrome bars, the revised front bumper and the rear bumper that covers the hitch area. Also, the headlights look much better with the turn signal in the middle rather than on the corners.

Soccermommitude! I prefer the overall front-end appearance of the second gen, HDMI or facelift doesn't matter, I think both look great (although once you see the HDMI port, you will never unsee it). For me, it's the grille in combination with the headlights, fog lights, and front bumper. The first gen headlights look too small or too far apart from each other or something.
I am quite partial to the first gen since my mom had an '04 and I REALLY liked driving it right after getting my license.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
You have lost your mind, the gen 2.5 is SO much cleaner with the chrome bars, the revised front bumper and the rear bumper that covers the hitch area. Also, the headlights look much better with the turn signal in the middle rather than on the corners.
All of that may be true, including the losing my mind part, if you can bolt in the HDMI grille.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I have a 2009 Pilot EX-L with the VCM. Is it also recommended to be disabled for that model year, and if yes, would you please explain the drawbacks of continuing to use the VCM? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I have a 2009 Pilot EX-L with the VCM. Is it also recommended to be disabled for that model year, and if yes, would you please explain the drawbacks of continuing to use the VCM? Thanks in advance.
The VCM causes certain cylinders to lay dormant when coasting, or maintaining speed (green eco light illuminates). These cylinders are prone to have excessive oil pumped up into the cylinders, causing fouled spark plugs, dirty valves and injectors, but the worst can be stuck piston rings. Oil can make its way into the exhaust system clogging catalytic converters that can cause emission trouble codes. Disabling the VCM can begin to reverse these problems, along with stopping the vibrations transmitted into the transmission helping to prevent transmission judder at around 40 mph.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts