Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2WD w Navi
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have a 2008 Pilot EX-L with just over 94k miles.

Like the title says, I hear a squealing noise coming from the engine bay during the first 10-15 minutes of driving. Once the engine is warmed up, the sound mostly goes away, but it’ll still crop up when I accelerate around 60 mph. Here’s a link to a short clip, if you listen close under the wind noise etc you can hear it:

Pilot Engine Noise

Any idea what’s causing this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When were the timing and serpentine drive belts - and their tensioners - last replaced?
I don’t think they’ve ever been replaced. I just bought this car used and since it’s coming up on 100k miles I assumed new belts would be in order soon. Is that what I’m likely hearing?

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
I don’t think they’ve ever been replaced. I just bought this car used and since it’s coming up on 100k miles I assumed new belts would be in order soon. Is that what I’m likely hearing?
Belts and/or the tensioners.
Maybe open the hood and listen (or put the microphone) near the passenger side of the engine.
Recommended replacement interval is every 105K-miles or every 7-years, whichever comes first.
For a 2008 Pilot, you're about due for the second change, let alone the first.

In the meantime, check the VIN to be certain that the airbag recalls have been completed.
Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Belts and/or the tensioners.
Maybe open the hood and listen (or put the microphone) near the passenger side of the engine.
Recommended replacement interval is every 105K-miles or every 7-years, whichever comes first.
For a 2008 Pilot, you're about due for the second change, let alone the first.

In the meantime, check the VIN to be certain that the airbag recalls have been completed.
Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site
Thank you!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
Yes, those belts -- and tensioners, etc. -- should be at the top of your to-do list, along with the airbag recalls if never done.

But you may as well go through the whole list here, even if it's after the fact. Better late than never.

And welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, those belts -- and tensioners, etc. -- should be at the top of your to-do list, along with the airbag recalls if never done.

But you may as well go through the whole list here, even if it's after the fact. Better late than never.

And welcome to the forum. :)
I love this checklist. Thank you! Looks like I have my weekend plans laid out for me here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to follow up on this thread for anyone else with the same problem. I replaced the serpentine belt today and the car now runs quiet ✌🏼

1 - 8 of 8 Posts