Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continued from previous thread. Pilot now stays running, but don't sound good.

CEL is on again. - wonder what it says... haven't checked.

But I did take off serp belt, harmonic balancer, lined up main crank pulley mark TDC and confirmed timing. it is good!

Can hear valves/ rocker arms etc... not sure.

So let me catch ya'll up with the history.... timing belt broke 2 yrs ago, bent valves. I removed head, all new valves lapped, new CK position sensor, fixed it. car ran perfect for 2 yrs. month ago, started to have issues.... wouldn't stay running so I posted previous thread... but now it will run. Brought to shop, cuz could hear valve noise. so I did a valve lash job, did not make a difference. did Seafoam treatment in tank and crankcase, drove it a bit, drained and now have Lucas Oil treatment and fresh oil in crankcase.

Replaced EGR valve, spark plugs, tons of new parts, new radiator, tires, etc stuff that isn't relevant to the engine issue...

made youtube vid.

Problem is, valve noise/wahtever it is seemed to have happened suddenly, but I dont deal with the car every day and owner wouldn't have known any better..

What do you think... replace engine? I have no idea what to do next, have exhausted my DIY efforts/knowledge.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
Frustrating, I understand. FWIW, start by getting the codes.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would pull the codes and do a compression check first. Both pretty easy and cheap.

Part of the sound kinda sounds like a bad TB tensioner but I don't think that will give you a code.

Did you run it without the serpentine belt?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would pull the codes and do a compression check first. Both pretty easy and cheap.

Part of the sound kinda sounds like a bad TB tensioner but I don't think that will give you a code.

Did you run it without the serpentine belt?
I was going to spin it without serp on there but thought... nah... what's that gonna prove? ya know... power steering pump won't spin, alternator... but... not sure what i'd have gained... but i may be a bit ignorant on that... TB timing was goood.. tension good according to the shop... and having a good look at the timing led me to think it's all good on timing.. perhaps overlooking something.. shit i dunno....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to spin it without serp on there but thought... nah... what's that gonna prove? ya know... power steering pump won't spin, alternator... but... not sure what i'd have gained... but i may be a bit ignorant on that... TB timing was goood.. tension good according to the shop... and having a good look at the timing led me to think it's all good on timing.. perhaps overlooking something.. shit i dunno....
i just bought a code reader but that'll get here when.. in a week... so will do that, or at least have a reader since I dont own one yet. was hoping the timing skipped.. cuz it sounds like it's off.. but.. damn.. when i pulled the cover off the top to see.. and shop said tension was good.. .. just more confusion....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Local auto parts stores like Advance offer free scans
yeah i'm aware of that... afraid to try to get it up there. we've tried that as well when problem first started... one code suggested EGR valve so we got a new one.. no difference.... etc etc.. chasing our tail seems like.. figured what the hell... should probably have one at home anyways lol.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I'm thinking the metallic ping rattle is a heat shield on the exhaust pipe. Not say there isn't more wrong. Just trying to eliminate one sound out of the equation.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
wondering if the oil pump is finally taking a dump and it starting to fail .. sounds like rocker noise from lack of lube ? (oil )

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wondering if the oil pump is finally taking a dump and it starting to fail .. sounds like rocker noise from lack of lube ? (oil )
hmmm oil pump possibly.. i dont have any experience with that or replacing one before but.. always a first time. I did just change the oil and put in some Lucas Oil treatment as well - so it's FRESH in that video... i'll look up oil pump
on the tube...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Are you absolutely positive she didn't fill it with E85 or get a bad tank of gas? Is the fuel pressure good?

Regardless, it sounds like it's dieseling to me, and gas (or at least combustion) and plugs are the first areas to check. Spark plug gap is correct? Does the engine continue to sputter (true dieseling) when you turn the key off, or does it immediately shut down?

In the big picture, if the combustion is off, it causes misfire - which leads to the engine sounding like it's out of time. If that was an old school V8 with a carburetor I would immediately think 'gas'...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you absolutely positive she didn't fill it with E85 or get a bad tank of gas? Is the fuel pressure good?

Regardless, it sounds like it's dieseling to me, and gas (or at least combustion) and plugs are the first areas to check. Spark plug gap is correct? Does the engine continue to sputter (true dieseling) when you turn the key off, or does it immediately shut down?

In the big picture, if the combustion is off, it causes misfire - which leads to the engine sounding like it's out of time. If that was an old school V8 with a carburetor I would immediately think 'gas'...
Not absolutely positive, I wasn't there and she don't remember.. so... there's that. I should probably try to get some good stuff in there at least. Fuel pressure good, the shop checked that. put in brand new plugs and torqued to spec. right away, thinking that was the issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
looking at my manual, haynes, 2b-3, oil pressure check. tonight i'll run into town and siphon the gas out of the tank that's in there and replace with fresh. I'd like to pick up a loaner pressure test from Autozone on the way, says same thing as spark plug tester? looks like you need to find the oil pressure indicator sending unit by the oil pump housing behind the oil filter adapter.. it says.

watch this vid... now this guy was getting certain codes..

which would indicate those 2 easy access top oil pressure switches, then a comment mentions the sending unit one by the filter.. guy says oil can be leaking into gas tank..... which might make it sound diesel-ish,.... ? right?

So tonight..... siphon out the gas. get fresh in there. get testing gauge from autozone and take wheel off passenger side. locate sending unit oil pressure and remove it. put in gauge, fire up car and see what oil pressure is at? eric the car guy says should be at leat 10 psi from a vid i watched.

get codes read I suppose as well.... in the commnents on the vid, there is talk of bad switches corrosion etc... which causes oil leaking into gas tank?

Wow, a lot of new information. learning something new every day. is this a good plan for today?

the car is in awesome physical shape, hate to sell it for a grand if it's something I can handle like this...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh yeah, there is a bit of white exhaust coming out too...thought it was the Seafoam i put in gas tank to help clean up things, but if the sending unit (switch) down by the oil filter is corroded and leaking oil into gas tank, as suggested on some comments on these vehicles... then that would make the exhaust smokey... and poor performance etc... just another thought...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok so ....

new plan for tonight, let me know what you guys think.

siphon gas and see if there's oil in it, or m aybe bad gas in general.....

should I put in fresh gas and see how it runs first?

or should i siphon gas out first, then replace both oil pressure switches and also the sending unit one by the oil filter?

or siphon gas, put in fresh, run it, see if it's better... then replace those 3 things, or maybe they're good and it was just bad gas only?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok, looks like it ai'nt easy to just siphon it out.. you hit a bend in the tube or something... there is a video on some guys siphoning it out, but what's the best way to do this then?

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
Too bad he didn’t show it running with the diesel in it. I think I’d yank the seat and pump.. but my pilot is too rusty to go screwing around underneath if I don’t have to.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts