Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 2008 Honda Pilot (2WD). I notice after purchasing it that every so often it would have trouble turning over when starting. I ran through checks on the battery, starter, alternator, all were good. Then I notice it would consume about 2 quarts of oil, almost half the oil capacity every 1,000 +/- miles. I currently use Valvoline Max Life (High Mileage) full synthetic 5W-20 motor oil. Then I change the spark plugs and notice that the cylinder #1 (back Passenger side) had an oiled fouled spark plug (see attached photo) which explains the oil consumption. I read multiple articles (attached) and forums and have come up with three possible issues:
  1. Valve stem seals wore or broken. This is a moderately difficult, but doable, repair for a DIYer like myself.
  2. Faulty Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system. This is a simple repair.
  3. Piston rings wore or broken. I pray to God this is not the issue, because this is very advance repair with special equipment or cost more than the Pilot is worth for a professional to fix.
Has anyone run into this problem with their Honda Pilot (2003-2008 Pilot)? Does anyone have any input or thoughts on this issue? My 2008 Honda Pilot (2WD) has 165,000 miles on it currently, so I am praying the pistons rings are not worn/broken. Any thoughts? Any help is much appreciated as I really need this car to run for several more years.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
PCV valve is a good place to start with a cheap and easy fix. Also make sure you torque your plugs to spec since they can loosen and even back out.

2008 FWD has VCM. Have you considered a VCMuzzler?

Start with the small stuff.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PCV valve is a good place to start with a cheap and easy fix. Also make sure you torque your plugs to spec since they can loosen and even back out.

2008 FWD has VCM. Have you considered a VCMuzzler?

Start with the small stuff.
Thank you. I was unaware of the VCM issue. Great explanation under the following post: VCMuzzler - For Disabling VCM Now Available

1 - 3 of 3 Posts