Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
81 - 83 of 83 Posts

Registered
  • Haha
Reactions: plplplpl

Registered
All,
Hello and thanks for the input! Have a 2008 pilot with 210,000 miles on it. Replaced timing belt in 2015 at 115,000 miles. Typically, I take it in to dealer every 3-4 yrs and have them give it a good look-over, and work their recommended maintenance items myself.

Since 2018 I have spent 2700$ on maintenance, most of which I do on my own except oil changes, fluid flushes, etc. I worked or replaced: rear brake pads/drums, pwr steer fluid, vtm fluid, a/c compressor and lines, starter, rear shock absorbers, battery, sway bar links, front control arm bushings, all new tires with 30.0. Of course, worked PO codes for bank efficiency, replaced aft cat. (currently have a spark plug non-fouler/extender installed to keep an emissions code away)

Anyway, I plan on keeping the pilot, at least for an extra utility vehicle after my son gets his own car. My question is, should I replace the timing belt & water pump kit as scheduled or should I let it ride and take my chances? I'm already off schedule to replace it as it is. I understand the "interference engine" concept, but never actually heard of anyone breaking a timing belt and damaging an engine. I know if it breaks on the road, I'm stranded until towed, but what are the chances of actual piston damage, etc?
Thanks!
I'm late to the conversation but yes, my Pilot's timing belt broke. Six bent valves. The pistons were not damaged, however I think their feelings were hurt-

81 - 83 of 83 Posts