Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
Hello and thanks for the input! Have a 2008 pilot with 210,000 miles on it. Replaced timing belt in 2015 at 115,000 miles. Typically, I take it in to dealer every 3-4 yrs and have them give it a good look-over, and work their recommended maintenance items myself.

Since 2018 I have spent 2700$ on maintenance, most of which I do on my own except oil changes, fluid flushes, etc. I worked or replaced: rear brake pads/drums, pwr steer fluid, vtm fluid, a/c compressor and lines, starter, rear shock absorbers, battery, sway bar links, front control arm bushings, all new tires with 30.0. Of course, worked PO codes for bank efficiency, replaced aft cat. (currently have a spark plug non-fouler/extender installed to keep an emissions code away)

Anyway, I plan on keeping the pilot, at least for an extra utility vehicle after my son gets his own car. My question is, should I replace the timing belt & water pump kit as scheduled or should I let it ride and take my chances? I'm already off schedule to replace it as it is. I understand the "interference engine" concept, but never actually heard of anyone breaking a timing belt and damaging an engine. I know if it breaks on the road, I'm stranded until towed, but what are the chances of actual piston damage, etc?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
If I was keeping it I would replace the timing belt. I'm not interested in risking being stranded and completely destroying the engine.

·
Registered
2005 Honda pilot EX-L (Big Ronda)
159 Posts
I would change it at that mileage. If it snaps it will hash the valves and possibly damage pistons.

·
Registered
106 Posts
There are a few folks here who have bent valves because timing belts have failed. It's very likely if the belt breaks you'll be needing some new valves and work on the cylinder heads; having a belt break and not damaging valves is akin to winning the lottery. Normal interval for TB replacement is 105,000 miles or 7 years, so you're due. Yes, you could probably go considerably more miles if you feel lucky.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Will you DIY your timing belt?

·
Registered
2005 Honda pilot EX-L (Big Ronda)
159 Posts
All right. I guess that settles it. I just never heard of anyone that actually broke a belt. Thanks again!
Here's the logic behind the timing belt mileage and time intervals.

Change the components and belt at the mileage intervals to prevent the tensioner, pulleys or water pump from failing and causing the belt to jump off. Usually the belt is still in decent shape

Time intervals (7 year) is mostly for the belt itself. The rubber could be deteriorating and that would cause a belt to fail.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re Nail Grease,
Yes I do it myself. Will be my third time. First time I did it in 2015, I was one tooth off. Don’t remember if it was advanced or retarded, but it ran poorly, so I went back in a month later to correct it.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Re Nail Grease,
Yes I do it myself. Will be my third time. First time I did it in 2015, I was one tooth off. Don’t remember if it was advanced or retarded, but it ran poorly, so I went back in a month later to correct it.
Awsome!
I'm sure then you know about the Aisin timing belt water pump kit (TKH-002). They seem to be in short supply today. We always like to caution folks on the rash of junk counterfeit replacment parts out there on the internet.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
I'm sure then you know about the Aisin timing belt water pump kit (TKH-002). They seem to be in short supply today.
The Aisin kits are probably sitting in a container on one of the ships waiting offshore from CA so they can dock and offload.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
The Aisin kits are probably sitting in a container on one of the ships waiting offshore from CA so they can dock and offload.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haven’t sourced the kit yet. Just now starting to think about it. I think the last time, I ordered from Hondapartsnow? So I’m not familiar with the Asin kit situation at the moment.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Haven’t sourced the kit yet. Just now starting to think about it. I think the last time, I ordered from Hondapartsnow? So I’m not familiar with the Asin kit situation at the moment.
The Aisin kit contains OEM supplier parts.
  • Mitsuboshi Timing Belt
  • Aisin Timing Belt Tensioner
  • Koyo Tensioner Pulley
  • Koyo Idler Bearing
  • Aisin Water Pump
They've been selling for around $175. Napa has a genuine kit for $100 more.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've had a timing chain break in a Chevy Cavalier while my wife and my oldest child (as a baby) were driving home. Thank the Lord it busted in our neighborhood about 5 blocks from the house and a friend and I were able to push it home. Basically killed the car.
While I'm not positive about the cause, I blame myself because I had been letting the oil changes go farther and farther apart because this was right when the great recession happened and money was super tight.

If you plan on keeping the car, do the maintenance.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts
Here's the logic behind the timing belt mileage and time intervals.

Change the components and belt at the mileage intervals to prevent the tensioner, pulleys or water pump from failing and causing the belt to jump off. Usually the belt is still in decent shape

Time intervals (7 year) is mostly for the belt itself. The rubber could be deteriorating and that would cause a belt to fail.
Question: If your mileage is well below the 105k change interval and that mileage interval is essentially for the components but belts usually still looks excellent at that point, why not wait a couple more years?

This may be more frequent a situation these days as people have been driving much less during the pandemic.

Also, it would give more time for those ships to unload their Aisin TKH002 kits and get them to Rockauto. :)
Also the ship with AT-205.

RA is starting to look like supermarket shelves in the USSR.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Also, it would give more time for those ships to unload their Aisin TKH002 kits and get them to Rockauto. :)
Also the ship with AT-205.

Yes Where is the AT-205 while I want it !

I have the TKH-002 kit on my Amazon.ca wish list just for watching. I saw 1 in stock pop up yesterday for 385$CND ... my thought was "nooo, the price will go lower". Today out of stock
[/QUOTE]
RA is starting to look like supermarket shelves in the USSR.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
285 Posts
wow price is currently 198 USD on amazon, ouch, was only 172 just a year ago.
inflation ! o_O🤪

at least you know you'll be getting fresh parts in that kit at least fresher than kits sitting around in some warehouse for years though I'm pretty sure the date on my kit was very recent

1 - 20 of 83 Posts