Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I've been changing the oil in my '08 Pilot every 3K-5K miles, despite the maintenance minder. I know it's overkill, but old habits are hard to break. :rolleyes:

Funny thing is, I've now got around 46K miles on the clock, and I'm not getting any codes from this thing. Nothing indicating replacement of spark plugs, transmission fluid, VTM fluid, etc.

Everybody says to go by the MM, but I'm concerned that there's no codes coming up. Could the frequent oil changes be throwing a curve at it?

·
Super Moderator
15,157 Posts
Pre MM days the plugs were changed at 105k miles. VTM 4 fluid at 30k, tranny fluid at 45k. my FIL's 06 tells him to get the oil changed more frequently than the 7500 miles the 03-05 were scheduled for changed. Never asked him about tranny/vtm4 fluid.

Follow the MM, it seems very conservative in comparison to the "good ol days"

·
Registered
180 Posts
My MM has told me to change the oil about every 5k. I also got the VTM/Trans code several months ago, and swapped out those fluids with Genuine Honda stuff to be safe.

Give it time, HAL, *ahem*, I mean, the Pilot will tell you what it wants.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you don't let the MM get to the <15% alert, you will miss the additional codes that are associated with the upcoming oil change... unless you just happen to note them when you reset the MM.

Since you mention VTM-4 fluid, you must have a 4wd/AWD Pilot. You should already be on your 2nd VTM-4 fluid change at 46k miles and also should have had a transmission fluid change and a transfer assembly gear oil change. If you tow or are in otherwise the severe service category, you are even further behind schedule.

Spark plugs are typically replaced at 105k miles.

The problem is, when you reset the MM, any additional codes associated with the upcoming oil change are also reset, the system thinks you did the maintenance, whether you actually did it or not.

Here's a brief overview of the MM system.

It was difficult for me to break away from a maintenance schedule. I changed oil at 5k intervals on our 2006 Pilot. I finally made the switch to the MM system when I got the 2008 Ridgeline. It's taken me a long time to get the Pilot back on the MM system. I still compare a schedule to what the MM tells me so I can make sure I don't miss anything.

I typically let mine run until I get the <5% alert. But you should at least let it run until you get the <15% alert so you will see what other codes are associated with the upcoming oil change.

Here's a mx schedule that should cover the Pilot, just to help you get back on track. It comes from the Ridgeline, but is the same as the Pilot.
Normal schedule:

Severe schedule:

Here's an interesting writeup that Honda sent around to all the dealers several years back on their service policies.

• Do not use oil additives. As an authorized Honda dealer, you are responsible for accurately representing the information in the owner's manual. Honda owner’s manuals state that engine and transmission oil additives are unnecessary.
Recommending and selling oil additives creates unnecessary expenses for our customers.

• Fill tires with dry, compressed air only. Our research has shown that there is no practical value added from filling tires with nitrogen. Therefore, only fill tires with dry, compressed air, which is already approximately 80 percent nitrogen.

• Do not perform engine flushing on the lubrication system. There is absolutely no reason to perform engine oil system flushing as a maintenance procedure. American Honda’s Tech Line is hearing about an increasing number of cases in which catastrophic engine failures have occurred soon after this procedure was performed. The expense of engine failures that occur after this procedure has been performed will be the dealer’s responsibility.

• Fuel injection (induction) cleaning/flushing is not recommended by American Honda. This is an unnecessary maintenance procedure and an improper repair procedure. If a Honda vehicle is experiencing a fuel injector malfunction, the faulty injector should be replaced.

• Only perform oil changes in accordance with the maintenance schedule. All vehicles have a model-specific established maintenance schedule that can be accessed on the vehicle’s maintenance minder or in the owner’s manual. By recommending increased frequency of oil changes, the customer’s cost of ownership increases, which causes unnecessary inconvenience, wastes vast
quantities of natural resources, and creates hundreds of thousands of gallons of hazardous waste.

• Do not use transmission flushing machines. In the very rare instance where a flushing process is necessary (such as to remove improper fluids), a procedure is available which does not require special tools. Use of additives, solvents, cleaners or conditioners as part of a flush or as a performance enhancer is absolutely unnecessary and may affect transmission shift quality that would not be warrantable by Honda. Transmission fluid replacement (not flushing) should be recommended only at the mileage intervals specified in the owner's manual.
-As an example, the transmission fluid replacement interval for a 2001 Accord is 120,000 miles under normal use and 60,000 miles under severe use. If you wish to use a flushing machine to reduce repair time, you should be aware of the risks associated with loosening fittings to connect the equipment, and you should use only Genuine Honda Transmission Fluid as your flush medium. Honda expects that service costs would be the same or less when using flush equipment; otherwise, we recommend against its use as it offers no significant benefit to consumers.

• Engine cooling system flushing is recommended only if the customer has installed incorrect coolant in their engine. In the very rare instance when flushing is necessary, a procedure is available that does not require the use of special tools. There is no difference in the service interval for coolant replacement between normal and severe conditions. Using a 2001 Accord again for an example, the recommended coolant replacement interval is 120,000 miles and every 60,000 miles thereafter. There is no justifiable reason to recommend coolant replacement more often.
-If you wish to use a flushing machine to reduce repair time, you should be aware of the risks associated with loosening fittings to connect the equipment and you should use only Genuine Honda Coolant as your flush medium. Honda expects that service costs would be the same or less when using flush equipment, otherwise we recommend against its use as it offers no significant benefit to the consumer. Use of cooling system flushing machines that “recondition” the existing coolant should never be used, as the procedure cannot completely reverse the chemical deterioration that occurs to the coolant during use.

·
Registered
254 Posts
BTW, if you still insist on doing early oil changes (before you get the <15% alert,) there is a procedure you can do to bring up the additional codes that would be associated with the upcoming oil change. It's called the force-retrieve process.

Keep in mind that you won't get alerts for the additional maintenance after you reset the MM, so make sure you do the work associated with the additional codes in a timely fashion. The next alert you get for that particular maintenance will come the next time it's due. So doing early oil changes and not being aware of this could easily cause you to miss associated maintenance (VTM-4 fluid changes, etc.)

Basically, you go through the process to reset the MM. When you get to the point that you need to press the button once more to reset it, you should see a listing of any other codes that are associated with the upcoming oil change. At that point, I just cancel the reset, unless I intend to reset the MM anyway.

·
Registered
254 Posts
What year Pilot do you have? Is it 4wd or 2wd?

Here's the FSM procedure for the Honda RL (same as the Pilot). Remember to loosen fill plugs before you loosen drain plugs (for obvious reasons.)

If you have a 2006 or later 4wd, there's a how to for the Ridgeline which is the same as on the Pilot. A thread with pics:
My A136 maintenance experience - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks, I have an 07' and the maintenance manual didn't mention this. After researching further I found a one or two line blurb in the actual manual but nothing in the fluid amount section.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't have my 2006 Pilot manual available at the moment. But I'm sure the transfer assembly on the Pilot is the same as on the RL. The fluid quantities stated above should be accurate for the Pilot too.

BTW, I use only Honda fluids for the transmission, brakes, coolant, and VTM-4. Otherwise, I use the fluid of my preference for engine oil, power steering, and transfer assembly, as long as it meets the specs... also stated above. Those are the 4 fluids that Honda includes specific warranty or performance related warnings about in regards to using other than non-Honda fluids.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that the instructions in the honda service history manual, and the schedule in post 4 say to ONLY replace the engine oil every 7500 miles, and the filter every 15,000 miles? I've never heard of replacing the engine oil without also replacing the filter...

·
Registered
777 Posts
Regardless of what anyone tells you change the engine oil filter every time. Yes spend the $4-5 dollars for a new filter. Again I don't care if the chief honda engine design engineer makes a post telling you otherwise, change it every time.

And regards to the transfer case fluid above it's very simple. Personally I used mobil1 75w-90 beacuse I couldn't find 80w-90 anywhere.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just purchased my car 08 FWD 80k what should I do at this stage, looking at the car fax the owner did his first oil
Change at 20k, 40k so on... He drove 24k/yr probably hwy mostly...

I think I need to rotate the tires, replace transmission oil aka transfer case fluid? 80w-90 dealer should have it? How much I need for FDW will buy a few OEM oil filter too to save a trip to dealer. Inspect my belts bushing ball joints and all suspension component screws are right, what else I miss?

·
Registered
254 Posts
The schedule in post 4 will approximate the MM. If you have a 2wd, you do not have a transfer assembly, so no hypoid gear oil change and no VTM-4 fluid (rear diff) changes either.

Wow. Oil changes ever 20k miles? Whether it needs it or not? ;)

With any used vehicle, if you don't know the maintenance history, I suggest a complete fluid/filter (including the cabin pollen filter) replacement to establish your maintenance baseline. Brake fluid should be flushed every 3 years regardless of mileage. I also suggest changing the power steering fluid occasionally. It's not a maintenance item, but I think it's good practice and am getting ready to change our 2006 Pilot's PS fluid in the near future (78k miles). Probably every 60k is a reasonable interval.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Okay, I pick up my Pilot yesterday, and I just notice that the sticker on the windshield for the next oil change due next 3.5k from now which I see the Oil is 100% now. But the lable is printed 5w30 not hand writing tho, so I'm worry if the stupid tech actually did put in conventional 5w30 oil and put next service after 3.5k when it needs 5w20 Synthetic and oil change due around 10-15k? Should I flush it out asap?

·
Registered
557 Posts
5-30 is a wider range of temps than 5-20. So don't worry about a thing.
I just hope they put Synthetic oil in there not conventional oil, but I did purchase it from a GMC & Buick Dealer... I'll probably change it out at 3k to be on the safe side...

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
5-30 is a wider range of temps than 5-20. So don't worry about a thing.
Not quite true.

5w30 is simply more viscus at operating temp tan 5w20.

The Pilot was designed for 5W20, so I would avoid 5w30, especially in colder weather.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yeah, but in LA, I wouldn't worry too much about 5w-30. Nor would I worry if the dealer put in dino oil... which I'd bet they did. If you want synthetic oil, just change it over at the next OCI. I believe most of the rest of the world runs 5w-30 in these J35 motors anyway. But for fuel consumption purposes, 5w-20 is the spec oil.

IMO, routine and regular service is likely more important that syn vs dino oil, etc. Personally, I prefer the synthetic oil for the superior cold flow characteristics, not for extended OCIs... especially in colder climes. But the MM (maintenance minder) is built around dino oil, not synthetic... as synthetic oil is approved by Honda if it meets the specs. And I see no need to change out the fresh oil until the MM gets to the <5% to 0% alert either.

sw07tc.. did you get a 2wd or a 4wd version? You said FWD which could be either Front wheel drive or Four wheel drive.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't care how good dino oil are today. I will use synthetic blend or synthetic if you are going to use MM to change oil..

If you do use dino, just change the oil around 4k or 5k miles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts