Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my transmission fluid done 2 times and they told me there is no filter ?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I had my transmission fluid done 2 times and they told me there is no filter ?
there is i looked it up as an EX ..not sure what trim you have

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked it up and saw it, now what to do ? 200,000 transmission is ok. Firestone been doing my service-

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,024 Posts
Unless I’m reading the diagram incorrectly the filter will be on the engine flywheel side of the tranny. So I’m thinking it’s not accessible unless the tranny and engine are separated.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Unless I’m reading the diagram incorrectly the filter will be on the engine flywheel side of the tranny. So I’m thinking it’s not accessible unless the tranny and engine are separated.
same engine as my 06 I would assume ..and yes it is able to be replaced ..located under the battery tray

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Say what ? Trans filter under battery tray ?
The easiest way to get to the tranny filter is to remove the battery tray ..couple you tube videos kicking around about it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What does removing battery tray if the transmission filter is between trans & eng? What am I missing here ?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow. Had no clue. Thanks. Now my question is. Would you r&r the filter with 200,000 miles. I don’t think it was ever done. I’m sure it was never done.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Wow. Had no clue. Thanks. Now my question is. Would you r&r the filter with 200,000 miles. I don’t think it was ever done. I’m sure it was never done.
I did when mine hit the 200k mark.. damn thing looked almost black when it came out..that video was of an acura ..but it gives you an idea what is involved

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think road2cycle is correct which he is referencing the 2008 pilot EX 4WD as is the original poster. As road2cycle mentioned the diagram for the 2008 model shows the trans filter near the flywheel and must be between the block and transmission. I also have a 2008 Pilot EX 4WD and that trans filter is nowhere to be found externally or even accessible on the outside of the transmission. The 2006 model must be different if there is a trans filter accessible externally.

MD, if you find an externally accessible filter on your 2008 Pilot EX 4WD please update this thread and if possible a picture of the filter location.

Just a comment, I'm very concerned about the engineers that designed a non-serviceable trans filter or one that requires you to separate the transmission from the engine to replace it. Better to have been designed without a filter rather than this type of design as many transmissions today don't have transmission filters.

Thanks,
JJ

·
Registered
9 Posts
The transmission filter is NOT accessible on a 2006 Pilot AWD. It is as the Honda diagram shows, inside the transmission case. I just did a trans flush on my dad's 06 Pilot AWD and removed the battery tray as suggested, there is no filter housing like in the youtube video (which is for a Acura car BTW) or as discussed in this thread. Tahoefever must have '05 or be talking sh*t.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
Perhaps his 2006 is a FWD and perhaps those have an externally accessible transmission filter? IDK.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts