Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase a 2008 Honda Pilot. It only has 72.000 miles on it but I am a little concerned with the age of the vehicle being 12 years old. What type of repairs/issues can I be expecting in the near/far out future. Is there a lot of life left in this vehicle? Any experiences with failures at certain mileages? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Were I buying that, I'd do:

ASAP: Timing belt/pulleys/bolts/water pump/serpentine belt. (Coolant replaced when this is done)
Install a VCM disabling device.
Replace spark plugs with OEM/NGK.
Oil/Filter/Transmission Fluid/Air filter/Cabin Filter/Brake Fluid/Power steering fluid.

I'd change the transmission fluid 3 times on consecutive days, or I'd replace the transmission fluid at each oil change for the next 4 changes at a minimum.

I'd inspect the shocks and struts, tie rods and ball joints, sway bar links, get the alignment checked, inspect the brake pad depth, test the battery cranking amps and inspect for age.

Then drive it. It has a long life left.

Reactions: PaulCruser

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
If the transmission hasn't been replaced yet I'd be budgeting for that, maybe work that risk into the price. 1st gens have a high percentage failure rate.

Otherwise, boom has you covered. Maintain and enjoy, they are great vehicles.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
My mom had an '07 I think... hers started vibrating around 90k... a buddy of mine who's mom had a first gen, theirs went up just after 100k. My mom traded hers in not long after the vibrations started getting scared of replacing the transmission.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
849 Posts
Apparently the 2008s had very low transmission failure rates. Make sure the tires aren’t too old as well. That’s a great find! I wouldn’t worry too much about the transmission fluid since it only should have been done once or twice since new.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Apparently the 2008s had very low transmission failure rates. Make sure the tires aren’t too old as well. That’s a great find! I wouldn’t worry too much about the transmission fluid since it only should have been done once or twice since new.
Did the facelifted 1st gens have improvements made to the transmissions?

Also, I don't trust that ANYBODY has done something like a transmission fluid change, no matter how clean the vehicle is. I'd be doing all of the driveline fluids as cheap insurance, transmissions and these VTM rear diffs need fresh fluid to operate properly.

Reactions: PaulCruser and boom

·
Registered
30 Posts

Also, I don't trust that ANYBODY has done something like a transmission fluid change, no matter how clean the vehicle is. I'd be doing all of the driveline fluids as cheap insurance, transmissions and these VTM rear diffs need fresh fluid to operate properly.
I just recently purchased an 07 EX and when I ran a quick carfax (the free version, so it doesn't have everything), I did notice the previous owner got the Transmission fluid changed at around 24k miles. Not sure why they would change the transmission fluid so soon, to be honest.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,969 Posts
Before you purchase the Pilot I suggest taking it to your trusted mechanic for a thorough lookover. There may be items which need to be addressed which you’d be able to factor into your purchase offer.

Reactions: 97trophy

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I just recently purchased an 07 EX and when I ran a quick carfax (the free version, so it doesn't have everything), I did notice the previous owner got the Transmission fluid changed at around 24k miles. Not sure why they would change the transmission fluid so soon, to be honest.
I do mine every 25k. But I do it myself so my Carfax reports are always totally blank. Call me crazy but fluids are cheap, I like doing the work (most of the time) and items like our transmissions and VTM rear diffs really love fresh fluids.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
30 Posts
I do mine every 25k. But I do it myself so my Carfax reports are always totally blank. Call me crazy but fluids are cheap, I like doing the work (most of the time) and items like our transmissions and VTM rear diffs really love fresh fluids.
I hear you, all my cars have pretty blank carfax reports other than wheel alignments and smog inspections loll

I was thinking about doing the transmission fluid change on the pilot in the next couple weeks anyway just to be safe. Wish it was a 4wd though, it's the only thing I regret about this suv.. I kick myself for not waiting for another 4x4 pilot to pop-up online. It's ok, it's primarily my wife's grocery getter anyway so not the biggest loss.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I've developed the habit of draining and filling the transmission fluid with Valvoline Maxlife ATF every second oil change. Good stuff, good shifts and cheap insurance.

·
Registered
407 Posts
From what I have read over the years.

Honda improved its V6 transmissions (all models) in 2005 & 2007. The 07 upgrade is 'widely' considered (by the web) to have been a big improvement.

Some (mostly Amsoil users) allege the problem is the fluid and not the transmissions. Thus, claiming that Amsoil is the answer (IDK, I never used the stuff).

Honda's V6 transmissions let the brand down. When my son worked at Aamco, failed transmissions Odyssey's were a very common thing. So much so, he repeatedly warned me not to put too much money into my 05 Pilot.

My solution is to D/F yearly around 14,000 miles with Maxlife. The clean fluid has to help.

Your money, your choice.

·
Registered
603 Posts
because they are smart and it is cheap.

Reactions: 97trophy

·
Registered
30 Posts
because they are smart and it is cheap.
This is a new practice for me since BMW claims to have lifetime transmission oil, so changing the tranny fluid once in the cars life is going above and beyond regular maintenance. I'm just learning Honda culture, so bear with me if tranny fluid D/F at 26k miles sounds bizarre to me.

And i know, Hondas are not BMW's ;)
But they are great machines, me and my wife love the pilot so far.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Time to invoke the wisdom of the legendary Scotty guru. (Usual disclaimer: Turn down the volume if you have any sleeping children in the house. :) )

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
849 Posts

yeah that’s true. Carfax sometimes includes that stuff. But I understand doing it again just to be safe.

Apparently the 2006-2008s weren’t prone to failures like the previous years. Obviously there were but not as bad.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
This is a new practice for me since BMW claims to have lifetime transmission oil, so changing the tranny fluid once in the cars life is going above and beyond regular maintenance. I'm just learning Honda culture, so bear with me if tranny fluid D/F at 26k miles sounds bizarre to me.

And i know, Hondas are not BMW's ;)
But they are great machines, me and my wife love the pilot so far.
So I'm assuming you were on BMW forums... there is no way they didn't have failures... Toyota and Ford both tried lifetime transmissions and both had high failure rates above 100kmiles.

To me, "lifetime" means FOREVER... to a manufacturer "lifetime" means the length of the powertrain warranty and not 1 mile more.

yeah that’s true. Carfax sometimes includes that stuff. But I understand doing it again just to be safe.

Apparently the 2006-2008s weren’t prone to failures like the previous years. Obviously there were but not as bad.
Excellent to know! I always loved the 1.5 gens, my mom had an early 1st gen in a great blue color but just shy of 90k the trans started going downhill.

Reactions: Jack Vogt
1 - 20 of 49 Posts