Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,794 Posts
Wait, what? On my 2006, it's a 5-point, not a 6-point, IIRC. And no bilingual admonition sticker about using hand tools only.

·
Registered
112 Posts
For my Pilot the 19mm or 3/4 socket fits nice View attachment 148628
Now that looks so much better than mine :) I'm going to tour a couple wreckers tomorrow for a 5point oem wrench. If I don't have any luck I see one for $40 on amazon (just to find out if it's seized), or clip the cable and remove it. $100 for a new mechanism on Rock Auto (and hope it's not another 5 point oem type)... I'd like a nice 6point with a yellow sticker like you have :)

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Wonder it that 6-pointer is a custom mod. C'mon, fess up. On RA, at least, they only have one model of spare tire hoist, or spare tire carrier as they call it, and it's a Dorman 5-point. My OEM was 5-point, and my OEM replacement was also 5-point.

2008 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Spare Tire Carrier | RockAuto

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Wonder it that 6-pointer is a custom mod. C'mon, fess up. On RA, at least, they only have one model of spare tire hoist, or spare tire carrier as they call it, and it's a Dorman 5-point. My OEM was 5-point, and my OEM replacement was also 5-point.
Perhaps Pilots in 2004 made in Canada are slightly different?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Put me down for a wench, too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fix!!!
Set open end of the tire iron on the lowering post in the trunk.
Put slight counter clockwise hand pressure on the handle end of the iron. Hit the iron down with a hammer, on top of where it sits on the crank post.
Continue hitting until the iron starts to move in the counter clockwise direction you are pulling.
Don't pull too hard. Just enough without making it click. It will start to jump loose, with the hammer blows.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Fix!!!
Set open end of the tire iron on the lowering post in the trunk.
Put slight counter clockwise hand pressure on the handle end of the iron. Hit the iron down with a hammer, on top of where it sits on the crank post.
Continue hitting until the iron starts to move in the counter clockwise direction you are pulling.
Don't pull too hard. Just enough without making it click. It will start to jump loose, with the hammer blows.
Once in a while, after a series of meticulous repairs (e.g., carefully snipping and rethreading the bare T-1 3mm .76w bulbs into the climate control button light housings), it's a great joy to fix something by banging hard on it. :)

41 - 50 of 50 Posts