Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine was stuck but finally came down. There was a lot of rust on the cable. So I think it was just siezed in place. So I lubed it all up and functioned it a few times. Works as expected now

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,297 Posts
This is one of the reasons to lower the tire and check the air pressure every few months. Keeps the mechanism working and makes sure you have a useable spare instead of two flats not one.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts
This is one of the reasons to lower the tire and check the air pressure every few months. Keeps the mechanism working and makes sure you have a useable spare instead of two flats not one.
As they say, use it or lose it.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
After reading this thread, I realized I don't think I've ever lowered our 2008 Pilot donut spare.
After figuring out that the wrench for the winch, is inside the lug wrench, mine lowered right away.
Spare was down to 20lbs.
Inflated to 60psi, then turned it until it clicked.
Then lowered it again, and then raised it till it clicked again.
Done

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
After reading this thread, I realized I don't think I've ever lowered our 2008 Pilot donut spare.
After figuring out that the wrench for the winch, is inside the lug wrench, mine lowered right away.
Spare was down to 20lbs.
Inflated to 60psi, then turned it until it clicked.
Then lowered it again, and then raised it till it clicked again.
Done
Sorry to say, but you're not done. At that age, it's dried out and potentially unsafe. Do yourself a favor and put a full size spare up in there.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Interestingly, my 2001 Dodge Dakota I ordered with the tire and Handling package, also came with 5 full mags/wheels, no donut spare.
About 4 or 5 yrs, I was driving close to home on a larger street- when I heard this loud sound and felt a shudder. Quickly looked in the mirrors, and saw my spare tire flopping on the road!

The piece holding the cable to winch it under the bed had rusted thru and let go. Tire fell off.
I'm just blessed it wasn't while going 70+ on the Hwy and do some real damage to someone else's vehicle.

Being the DIY'er I am, I found the plate that goes on the end of the cable.
Went to the LHS (local hardware store), and got a u-bolt shaped clamp fitting, and re installed it.

So far, so good

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
FLASH NEWS REPORT: 16+ year spare tire agrees to lower from its perch! Unnecessary brute force with a BIG HF breaker bar was not required. More information coming for this ongoing story....
1286CDB3-8B2D-4EF5-BC21-5F97E94C1A1B.jpeg
7BD5270F-E190-41E6-AF93-84A91D4AAABD.jpeg

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
In what part of the Rust Belt are you not located again?

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Sorry for my stinging comment.

It's none of my beeswax.

Didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest.

I'll bee here all week.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Tire cap needed to be cut off the corroded valve.
66ED455B-283E-412C-A59C-02487EF1C645.jpeg
5482C5E2-369A-42E3-BD07-0865777D421F.jpeg
Not surprisingly the psi=0
Going to lube up that cord. Don’t want to push my luck :D

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Post a livestream video of you attempting to inflate it up to the spec'd 70 PSI. :p

Disclaimer: Wear safety goggles and ear protection.

Edit: Seriously, DON'T attempt to reinflate it, my friend. Even if it might work, don't risk it.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Post a livestream video of you attempting to inflate it up to the spec'd 70 PSI. :p

Disclaimer: Wear safety goggles and ear protection.

Edit: Seriously, DON'T attempt to reinflate it, my friend. Even if it might work, don't risk it.
Thank you for that great awesome advice as we don’t want anyone to trying to pump air in that old spare tire!!
And a big thanks to you for telling your story about routinely checking the spare tire before it’s too late. Great to be a part of the Piloteer story.

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
Don't forget to use OEM Honda Air.
View attachment 142883
Anyone who fails to use genuine Honda air should be ready to face the negative consequences of using another brand, just because they are to cheap and want to save a few cents. It's just crazy!

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Pour directly in your tire valves -- it's right there in our name!

·
Registered
57 Posts
FLASH NEWS REPORT: 16+ year spare tire agrees to lower from its perch! Unnecessary brute force with a BIG HF breaker bar was not required. More information coming for this ongoing story.... View attachment 142871 View attachment 142873
I'm also trying to lower my spare, but my socket set doesn't seem to grip the 5point. (OEM lug wrench missing). What socket worked? I have a 2008 pilot looks similar to this picture

21 - 40 of 48 Posts