Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Honda Pilot spare tire stuck won’t lower – winch stuck -fixed

My tire local shop nor the Honda dealer could not get my spare donut tire on my 2008 Honda Pilot to lower. You could turn the crank on the winch, but it would not lower. When the crank was turned you could hear a clicking sound. They pulled on the tire but it would not lower.

I sprayed WD40 wherever I thought it might help, but no luck. I was just about ready to cut the cable to get the tire down, install a new crank and I tried one last thing. I tapped on the top of the crank bolt with a bar and a hammer and it worked, I turned the crank, no more clicking and the tire came down!

I then removed the winch assembly to take a look at it. The winch mechanism is sealed, so not much to see there. So I extended the cable all the way and greased it with white lithium grease and reinstalled it. I will exercise the mechanism once a year now.

Here are some pictures of the unit after I removed it.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Glad you got it sorted. Just whining, but these are maintenance-intensive, rinky-dink mechanisms that are likely to fail just when you need them to work the most.

- Mark

·
Registered
350 Posts
My guess is there was excessive tension on the cable caused by over tightening the hoist. Over tightening compressed the spring too much. (pic #2).

Generally, a ratchet mechanism contains a pawl. The pawl slips into successive teeth of a gear which turns as you raise the tire. The pawl prevents the weight of the tire from pulling the gear backwards. The excess tension on the cable was pulling the cable and gear backwards against the pawl. This was preventing the gear from moving. Your rapping on the stem jarred the gear, releasing the tension.

The solution would be to not over tighten the cable. The owner's manual says to stop raising the tire when you hear a click.-

·
Registered
243 Posts
i check the spare with all the tires every winter and summer. psi changes with temperature esp extreme cold and heat. same with our other two cars. just in case i need the spare...

·
Registered
644 Posts
I tried to lower mine today to check the pressure before winter. Same problem as the OP. I usually do this twice a year. Once in the spring before summer traveling since we pull a camper, and then again in the winter. What good is a full size spare if it is flat. Tried to get it to lower and it did not. Will try what the op did and see if that helps any. Just lowered and cleaned the wheel this spring. Must have tightened it too much.

·
Registered
644 Posts
So, I was finally able to get my tire down by moving it back and forth and then it finally gave and came down. Now, my problem is that the cable appears to be free from binding, but it will not move. It does not go in or out. What type of lubrication would I put on this? Should I take it the mechanism down? It looks like it is probably a sealed unit but not sure. I am not sure what else to try to get the cable to function again. Need to get the tire back underneath the car. Won't be able to have it riding around in the cargo area for ever.

Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
The problem appears to be the hoist mechanism Whether it's working or not, lubricating the cable isn't of any benefit. I would remove the mechanism and replace it. Even if you get it to work, there's no guarantee it will work when it's reinstalled. If you can't lower the tire, you're back to square 1.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Just to provide an update. I removed the hoist mechanism. I figured since I was going to have to buy a new one, why not try and take it apart. Had nothing to loose.

Drilled out the rivets to open the hoist mechanism.

When inside I found the problem. The cable had become bunched at the entry point.

I was able to straighten it out the best I could and wind it back up. For now it is lowering and raising ok. I just will have to be careful with it and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am running into the same problem, ive tried tapping it with a hammer and a bar multiple times but it till wouldn't come down. Is there any other solution?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Existential question: What good is hauling around a spare under the vehicle for years and years just in case you need it one day, but when you eventually do, it doesn't lower?

I don't know if the previous owner ever used the spare or even lowered it or lubricated it, but when I needed it last week, it wouldn't come down. Even if it had, I have no love for the cheap yet overpriced "donut" spare, which must be about ten years old now anyway.

Therefore, I ordered (at just about twice the price in Canada, compared to the US, but close to the same when paying for shipping from the US) a replacement spare tire hoist -- Part No. 74711-S3V-A02, since the banging on it hard with a hammer method suggested here didn't work. While I was at it, I got a new rim and put on a full size spare, as God originally intended all vehicles to be blessed with.

Two questions:

1. I opted not to put a TPMS sensor on the spare, on the off chance it might cause interference, though I doubt it would. Anybody have a TPMS on their spare?
  2. Anybody want to buy a gently unused donut spare?

·
Registered
37 Posts
TPMS interference -- not

I got a matching wheel when I bought the Pilot intending to put a cheap tire on it as a full size spare. But the OEM tire (Continental) was a pretty good deal at Discount Tires, so I just got a matching one and added a TPMS sensor. It works fine, no interference. I do five tire rotations, so the mechanism gets exercised periodically and the pressure gets checked. And as you put so well, just as God intended.

While I was at it, I got a new rim and put on a full size spare, as God originally intended all vehicles to be blessed with.

Two questions:

1. I opted not to put a TPMS sensor on the spare, on the off chance it might cause interference, though I doubt it would. Anybody have a TPMS on their spare?
  2. Anybody want to buy a gently unused donut spare?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know how hard it is to cut the cable that goes from the winch to the pulley? I am debating if I can just carrying a set of wire cutters in lieu of replacing the winch mechanism.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
My guy used a torch, but the cable isn't such a huge gauge that big enough cutters couldn't do it. IMO. How big? Well there's really only one best way to find out for sure. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
52 Posts
Does anyone know how hard it is to cut the cable that goes from the winch to the pulley? I am debating if I can just carrying a set of wire cutters in lieu of replacing the winch mechanism.

Thanks!
I used a portable grinder with a thin metal blade, was no problem to cut the crimped part at the end of the cable. Do support the tire somehow while doing this or it will come down on you.

my saga here:
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/69-2003-2008-pilot/132225-spare-tire-will-not-come-down.html#post1399874

·
Registered
226 Posts

Thanks!
Most wire cutters would not cut a braided cable, unless they are designed as cable cutters.

A Dremel tool with a cutoff blade (grinding blade) could cut it if you can get to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got it down

I wasn't able to lower tire, had the ratcheting 4 click per turn either way I turned the gear mechanism.

What worked for me:

use a deep socket (approx 3/4'') over the cable ferrule and jack up the washer to compress the spring.

Once the spring compresses 'sufficiently', the tension on the cable should now be released.

when the cable is without tension the ratchet mechanism should then release. (same idea as trying to change direction on a 3/8'' hand ratchet while torquing... you can't)

turn the gear mechanism counter clockwise using the lug nut wrench while lowering the jack simultaneously. (you might need a spare set of hands here)

the rusted 'ol spare, filled with rocks and sand will now smoothly descend.

Hope this helps someone.

cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I tried to lower mine today to check the pressure before winter. Same problem as the OP. I usually do this twice a year. Once in the spring before summer traveling since we pull a camper, and then again in the winter. What good is a full size spare if it is flat. Tried to get it to lower and it did not. Will try what the op did and see if that helps any. Just lowered and cleaned the wheel this spring. Must have tightened it too much.
did you stick a full size spare in there instead of the donut

·
Registered
644 Posts
did you stick a full size spare in there instead of the donut
Yes, that was one of the first things I did when I got my Pilot. I ordered a rim for an LX off ebay. I didn't need a matching rim for that.

Sent from my Samsung Note 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts