Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day ALL

Just got a used 2008 Pilot with NAVI
The person purchased from had only 1 KEY available for the vehicle.

On a 12 years old heavily used vehicle, the "key" (looks to be) wearing down, and I'm concerned, some day soon it might just not work in the ignition (or door) without warning.

I don't want to spend $300 to $500 on getting new keys from the dealer, so,

I'm thinking one route to go is to just convert to "push start".

Has anyone here ever installed one of those kits ?
Any particular one recommended ?

I'll still need to keep the "Original Honda key" to use, but only when necessary ( open locked gloves box), plus, it has the REMOTE DOOR UN/LOCK and alarm function on it.

Advice appreciated

Thank you.

*push start pushstart keyless start conversion

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,256 Posts

How about getting something like this, getting it cut by a local locksmith who does automotive keys, transferring the little immobilizer chip, and transferring the fob or better yet reprogramming them both? Then you'd have your old key for locking and unlocking, and your new one for that and starting your Pilot. Much cheaper than the dealer and less trouble than concocting a push start conversion.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @plplplpl for your reply, suggestion.

Question,: 1: Does those blank key have a BLANK IMMOBILIZER chip inside it, that can be programmed to MATCH the immobilizer in the Honda factory key ????... so that I will have 2 KEYS that can start the vehicle.....

or 2: No, i will have to transfer the IMMOBILIZER CHIP FROM the Original Honda Key to the New Key (copy) and I will have ONLY 1 KEY (the copy) available to START the vehicle...???

Thanks in advance

* always good to have a spare FULL FUNCTION key

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Unfortunately, the answer is no. 2. Otherwise, you're back in expensive dealer territory. Still, better than your old key eventually failing, often when it's least convenient.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can

How about getting something like this, getting it cut by a local locksmith who does automotive keys, transferring the little immobilizer chip, and transferring the fob or better yet reprogramming them both? Then you'd have your old key for locking and unlocking, and your new one for that and starting your Pilot. Much cheaper than the dealer and less trouble than concocting a push start conversion.
About "programming"

Are those Key Fob from Ebay able to be programmed to START the VEHICLE using "programmers" like these ?
(do they have in them a/the blank immobilizer chip that gets programmed ?)

*The objective here is to have "More than 1 key that starts the vehicle"

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
I have no experience with those machines, but I presume you'd still need an immobilizer chip for them to program. If they even work.

And if you're buying those machines, for the price they cost you're getting near what a dealer would charge for the new key anyway.

Maybe call up a bunch of dealers and comparison shop for what they'd charge for a second key that starts the car if it's what you really need.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
From googling, research says that for "KEY PROGRAMMING" (immobilizer) you must get an OEM Key Fob, "oem electronics in a case", ( i think they also call these "head keys" )
like...

Sears/ keylessshop.com programming quotes a price of $125

2004 - 2013 Honda Remote Key (includes in-store programming)
(Includes cutting and programming at a Keyless Shop location)

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Good finds. The first one explicitly mentions it has the transponder (i.e., immobilizer) chip, and then you'd have to get it programmed, usually by a dealer:
Seller Notes:“FULLY TESTED!! WORKS GREAT! NEW REPLACEMENT REMOTE FOR PILOT AND RIDGELINE...100% OEM ELECTRONICS IN A NEW CASE/SHELL WITH OEM TRANSPONDER CHIP. READY FOR PROGRAMMING”
The second one doesn't mention the transponder or immobilizer chip.

The third one says you get it all like the first one, and for the price they include programming (hopefully for the remote fob and the immobilizer chip -- verify), but only in person at their locations. Are any of them near you?

The video only shows you how to program the fobs, not the immobilizer chips, of course. His two junkyard keys wouldn't be able to start the car, therefore, only lock and unlock the doors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts