Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2008 pilot in October off of someone. I replace the battery in October and he(seller of car) replaced the alternator but since then we replace the battery 2 more times so we been to several mechanics they said there's nothing wrong with the Alternator or the starter but our battery keeps draining like ,our car won't lock or anything so we have to charge our battery get jump sometimes but when the car runs it runs good but for some reason we don't drive it always on our car won't start If anybody knows any suggestions like what could possibly be wrong that would help thank you

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,852 Posts
First, do you have any aftermarket installations, like a remote starter, alarm system, etc.?

·
Registered
10,852 Posts
Is it an aftermarket car alarm? I.e., not the "built-in" OEM car alarm? If so, I'd look into that, as that has often proven to be the cause of a parasitic drain slowly discharging the battery. Another cause, besides aftermarket installations, is the OEM radio. One quick way of checking is by pulling the respective fuses (as long as they don't also connect to anything critical).

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it an aftermarket car alarm? I.e., not the "built-in" OEM car alarm? If so, I'd look into that, as that has often proven to be the cause of a parasitic drain slowly discharging the battery. Another cause, besides aftermarket installations, is the OEM radio. One quick way of checking is by pulling the respective fuses (as long as they don't also connect to anything critical).
The radio the orginial as well the car alarm

·
Registered
185 Posts
Definitely follow the advice posted above, to find the actual root cause.

As for addressing the symptoms - if you HAVE to replace the battery again get an AGM battery (as opposed to the normal lead-acid battery). Its definitely more expensive, but it can handle being completely drained much better. Completely draining a lead-acid battery even once affects it permanently. AGM is much more resilient to this, and if you can't address the root cause then its a matter of WHEN you drain the battery again, not IF.

Also - if you know it takes a certain amount of time (say 5 days) of not being started for the battery to die, you can unhook the negative battery cable before you let it sit that long to make sure it doesn't drain.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely follow the advice posted above, to find the actual root cause.

As for addressing the symptoms - if you HAVE to replace the battery again get an AGM battery (as opposed to the normal lead-acid battery). Its definitely more expensive, but it can handle being completely drained much better. Completely draining a lead-acid battery even once affects it permanently. AGM is much more resilient to this, and if you can't address the root cause then its a matter of WHEN you drain the battery again, not IF.

Also - if you know it takes a certain amount of time (say 5 days) of not being started for the battery to die, you can unhook the negative battery cable before you let it sit that long to make sure it doesn't drain.

--Chris N.
Thank you! Ill keep yall updated

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,360 Posts
Go find a cheap multimeter. Put it in mVDC mode. With the Pilot turned off and key out of the ignition, measure across each of the fuses. The fuses with the highest voltage drop (it will be in millivolts) across them are the circuits you should investigate for the cause of the parasitic drain.

There is no reason you should have replaced the battery three times over a seven month span.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
10,852 Posts
I just purchased a battery charger that Lets me know the alternator bad but wont be here till tuesday
Did it come in? What's the verdict?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,439 Posts
Hmm... If it dies again, I'm going to suspect a parasitc draw. The only way to correct that is methodically going through the system fuse by fuse to see where the draw is.

The only time I had a parasitic battery draining draw occurred when the alternators electronics were failing and the battery would die two or three days with no usage unless I added a trickle charger.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.