Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 EX 4WD, MM came up last year at 105,000.

I was contemplating DIY vs shop, finally decided to handle work myself.

Would like to share "pain points" with fellow DIYers.

Prep: watched u-tube by "South Main Auto Repair LLC", EXTREMELY useful.
-got dewalt dcf899 and heavy 19mm socket, as well as special sprocket holding tool.
-got ASIN timing belt kit from Rockauto
-factory service manual was very useful.
-mirror on a stick is a must, some bolts are very well hidden.
-this assumes you already have other tools like sockets (metrics), wrenches, etc.

DCF899 AND heavy 19mm socket removed crankshaft bolt in 2 seconds. Normal 19mm socket was no go.

Getting access to TB was not a problem, everything was per youtube video - definitely a must to watch for DIY.

I faced following issues:
1. Removing front right motor support was probably not needed. If you decide to remove it (to get easier access to the bracket) - make sure you have wobble socket extensions. You will not be able to get access to the top bolt on the mount without it. I didn't have it, so had to buy it.

2. While removing long bolt that attaches motor support to its holding bracket - bracket thread got damaged - bolt chemically bonded to the bracket thread(aluminum), so removing bolt damaged bracket thread. Had to get tap of proper size to restore thread.

3. While installing top bracket on the motor mount (using wobble extension), bolt went in with angle and thirst couple of threads got damaged. Had to use die to restore threads and control angle.

4. Original TB was like new, no visible damage. Water pump had small leak hidden by TB covers.

It took me about 2 full days. Overall spent: $180 for timing belt kit, $40 for heavy socket and crankshaft pulley holding tool. I don't count DCF899 and wobble extensions, as they will be used for other projects.
Dealler/shop price was $1K/$1.2K.

Would I do it again? Definitely yes. Would I recommend this DIY to fellow DIYers ? Yes if you have tools, time and have done some mid-level DIY work.

Good luck !

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I don't count DCF899 and wobble extensions, as they will be used for other projects.
Because of the huge savings you banked, You got some awsome tools!
Love my Dewalt DCF899. It's saving me a lot of pain on many projects. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
2008 EX 4WD, MM came up last year at 105,000.

I was contemplating DIY vs shop, finally decided to handle work myself.

Would like to share "pain points" with fellow DIYers.

Prep: watched u-tube by "South Main Auto Repair LLC", EXTREMELY useful.
-got dewalt dcf899 and heavy 19mm socket, as well as special sprocket holding tool.
-got ASIN timing belt kit from Rockauto
-factory service manual was very useful.
-mirror on a stick is a must, some bolts are very well hidden.
-this assumes you already have other tools like sockets (metrics), wrenches, etc.

DCF899 AND heavy 19mm socket removed crankshaft bolt in 2 seconds. Normal 19mm socket was no go.

Getting access to TB was not a problem, everything was per youtube video - definitely a must to watch for DIY.

I faced following issues:
1. Removing front right motor support was probably not needed. If you decide to remove it (to get easier access to the bracket) - make sure you have wobble socket extensions. You will not be able to get access to the top bolt on the mount without it. I didn't have it, so had to buy it.

2. While removing long bolt that attaches motor support to its holding bracket - bracket thread got damaged - bolt chemically bonded to the bracket thread(aluminum), so removing bolt damaged bracket thread. Had to get tap of proper size to restore thread.

3. While installing top bracket on the motor mount (using wobble extension), bolt went in with angle and thirst couple of threads got damaged. Had to use die to restore threads and control angle.

4. Original TB was like new, no visible damage. Water pump had small leak hidden by TB covers.

It took me about 2 full days. Overall spent: $180 for timing belt kit, $40 for heavy socket and crankshaft pulley holding tool. I don't count DCF899 and wobble extensions, as they will be used for other projects.

Would I do it again? Definitely yes. Would I recommend this DIY to fellow DIYers ? Yes if you have tools, time and have done some mid-level DIY work.

Good luck !
Nice write up, thanks! What would you do differently next time? Maybe spray some lube on the bolt before backing it out of the alum bracket? Maybe a teflon or silicone spray lube? Prices on DCF899 and heavy socket? How did you tighten the bolt back? Angle torque wrench? Congrats on getting er done!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
Nice, practical tips. Good of you to share. (y)

Water pump had small leak hidden by TB covers.
The water pump has a weep hole, doesn't it? How do you tell the normal amount of "weep" from an actual leak?

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
I had that same problem with the motor mount bolts. I had to re-tap all of the hole threads and buy new bolts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I put the motor mount back on I get all the bolts started about 3-4 turns before I tighten anything up and I always start the long thru bolt first. Grey anti-seize all those bolts for next time.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
When I put the motor mount back on I get all the bolts started about 3-4 turns before I tighten anything up and I always start the long thru bolt first. Grey anti-seize all those bolts for next time.
Do you sprintz anything on the bolts before you wind them out to prevent aluminum oxidation galling?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you sprintz anything on the bolts before you wind them out to prevent aluminum oxidation galling?
No I didn’t. I hit the thru bolt with some aerokroil. Might have to remove wheel well to get to the others. I think the 3 big bolts holding the mount to the frame are steel on steel.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Nice write up, thanks! What would you do differently next time? Maybe spray some lube on the bolt before backing it out of the alum bracket? Maybe a teflon or silicone spray lube? Prices on DCF899 and heavy socket? How did you tighten the bolt back? Angle torque wrench? Congrats on getting er done!
Long bracket bolt - I would probably try to go clockwise a quarter turn before going CCW. Not sure if it would help.I dought any penetrating spray would help, since it was not rust. Thus having metric die and tap set in 1mm and 1.25 mm might make all the difference.

DCF899 - got it for $165 (charger, bag and battery). Regular price was $200, got coupon from Lowes for opening instore CC account.

Heavy socket (search for "CTA tools 1065") and sprocket holding tool ("ABN Harmonic Damper Crankshaft Crank Pulley 50mm Socket ")- from Amazon, about $20 each.

I could tighten bolt back using regular 3/8 wrench with extension. Torque wrench (3/8 and 1/2 from HarborFreight) - CAREFULL WITH THESE WRENCHES - had one 3/8 stuck before, and had to replace it. Test if it clicks on low torque while in wise, it might save you from destroying threads in engine block. Plan on buying better one, but this is for another discussion :)

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice, practical tips. Good of you to share. (y)

The water pup has a weep hole, doesn't it? How do you tell the normal amount of "weep" from an actual leak?
You could be right. There was some crystallized coolant under impeller, so perhaps it was "weeping".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts