Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated, I've got an '08 EX-L 2WD w/ Tow Package (towed a small boat once in its life) that started throwing the misfire code on all cylinders + the random misfire code.

I pulled the top off the intake manifold, no EGR ports or routing clogged. It all looked pretty good in there! Pulled each of the coils while idling and they all seem to be working just fine as the engine changed noticeably when the coil was unplugged and went back to normal after plugging it back in. Engine air intake is clean. I also checked batt voltage, >12.4V just sitting there. My multimeter doesn't have min/max and resolution isn't great, so under start I can't really tell if it's dropping <9V? I was thinking maybe undervoltage from a bad batt was causing computer problems? But it doesn't appear to be the case.

Timing belt, tensioner & water pump all replaced around 55-60k miles (currently at about 98k).

I've posted pics of the inside of the intake manifold and cover along with a video of the engine running. It does seem to have a bit of a high pitched whine to it - but I think the high pitched whine is just a bearing in a pulley that needs to be replaced, what do you think?

What do you all think? Looking for your guesses, recommendations and advice?

I was thinking that EGR valve is probably not clogged after having seen how clean inside of the intake manifold was, so I hadn't planned on pursuing that any further.
Maybe PCV valve, spark plugs, O2 sensor, valve adjustment?

I've also seen the TSB 09-090 about this needing a valve adjustment and PGM-FI firmware update, thinking that could be the issue?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Were you able to find the culprit? Mine just popped all cylinder misfire with VTM4 light. Ive read EGR valve. Pcv valve. IAC valve should all be cleaned but pcv should be replaced. Always the little things.

·
Registered
24 Posts
About to do this next. Mine is an 08 will it have those? I'm seeing in many videos it doesn't but I'll pull it and look. It was oddly satisfying on my 95 and 96 Accords lol. Just cleaned up my EGR. Gasket was OK used a razor and coated it with some copper gasket spray to prevent oddball leaks. Makes a noce seal. Didnt look bad but wasnt clean either. Went to reset the codes and my trusty reader isnt working lol. 7 yrs for $20 its served its purpose. I did notice that the pcv valve in that general area is pretty oil coated. And it appears to slightly move. I'm kinda scared about this one hahaha. Its cold out and i really dont want to pull this valve cover. VTM4 came back on once it warmed up likely due to misfire code. It hasnt left the driveway yet. Finicky thing. It was great until this last tank of gas. Cheap 85 octane mountain gas. I feel like i committed a sin.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Red, pull off the plastic engine cover. If there is an access plate bolted on the top center of the manifold, then your EGR passages are underneath. You can clean them out with a small scraper or screwdriver and a shop vac. No need to pull the intake manifold off. And get that new PCV valve, it's cheap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
On my way to grab PCV from LPS. Long crank to start. I'll pull the egr plate when i get back. Colorado is quite cold at the moment. Helps to have some heat in the driveway 🤘😎

·
Registered
69 Posts
A lot of my misfire issues were fixed by changing the UPSTREAM (not downstream) o2 sensors on my 235k mile pilot. These sensors control the air fuel ratio and should be one of the first things you look at. They are $81/each at advance and should be changed every 100k anyways - a lot of people overlook these, as did I. Use only OEM NTK sensors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can say with a bit of pride these O2 sensors and Cat are new. My Pilot was serviced only through Honda dealership its entire life minus the 50k before i got it. I beleive it may have been a hard 50k however. Still messing with ps pump when all this showed up. But I'm using full synthetic. And replaced air inlet to throttle body it was broken and taking in unfiltered air. New air filter. Seems to be a process of elimination haha

·
Registered
24 Posts
A lot of my misfire issues were fixed by changing the UPSTREAM (not downstream) o2 sensors on my 235k mile pilot. These sensors control the air fuel ratio and should be one of the first things you look at. They are $81/each at advance and should be changed every 100k anyways - a lot of people overlook these, as did I. Use only OEM NTK sensors.
Also the days of Rock Auto delivering to me are gone. Something about taxes. I cant order from them amd it hurts my soul man. That place is the best.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
And replaced air inlet to throttle body it was broken and taking in unfiltered air. New air filter. Seems to be a process of elimination haha
You're not the first to notice that and fix it. Good for you for finding it because it can be easy to miss. Why does it happen so often? My guess is brittle plastic gets bent up when replacing the air filter.

Air Intake Tube Cracked and Replaced

04 honda Pilot 120k Sucking Air

Also the days of Rock Auto delivering to me are gone. Something about taxes. I cant order from them amd it hurts my soul man. That place is the best.
What? Taxes? Please explain. I'd hate not to be able to order from there anymore.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yea I'm in Colorado and I havent checked lately but they stopped delivering here over some tax crap. Like I'll pay the tax just send me my darn parts! Lol. Far as i know everyone else gets their parts. Sucks because once upon a time I worked for a wholesale parts warehouse and we use to fill Rock Auto orders.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok so i pulled the EGR plate. I didnt have those cool veins. BOOOO I was looking forward to cleaning them. There was definitely some nasty junk in the lower intake so i sprayed a rag and wiped it off as best I could and tried to vacuum out with shop vac. Wire bristled some little holes. Didnt get a new gasket. It didnt look bad so i took some permatex tacky red gasket stuff to it just in case. Tightened up about nice hand tight for me going from inside working out. Pulled EGR valve and cleaned it wasnt as gross as id hoped but dirty enough. Again gasket looked good so I used a copper spray gasket on the EGR to block side for leak protection. Copper works great for most exhaust gaskets. Replaced the super nasty pcv valve. Came out with ease amazingly. Talk about a releif lol! Got one from LPS and slapped it in. Added the techron and topped off my gas with some Shell 91 for good measure. Drove her around some and so far no noid light (#WINNING) So back to the power steering nonsense I go. While I was messing with the pcv i sprayed the lower PS hose with brake cleaner. Gonna pop the hood and look for seepage. But no VTM 4 or noid light. I dont hear the chatter of valves at all. Idle is better. Crank to start isnt dragging like the few days when this started. Synthetic castrol last oil change. Id read somewhere conventional oil can clog these PCV faster. BUT this little part has a lifetime warranty 😍 Safe to say for now im in the clear! Y'all are amazing. I LOVE forums like this for my cars. I hope to contribute in the future. But to start here is my first pic of my first issue haha!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im in the same boat. 07 pilot with 219k miles. I did all the power steering stuff first thinking that was the VTM cause lol. Replaced the PCV last night. Mine came out a little too easy also and flew into the fan housing. Took way to long to get it out of that tiny space. Anyway light came back on this morning. going after the EGR next then maybe o2 sensors. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Im in the same boat. 07 pilot with 219k miles. I did all the power steering stuff first thinking that was the VTM cause lol. Replaced the PCV last night. Mine came out a little too easy also and flew into the fan housing. Took way to long to get it out of that tiny space. Anyway light came back on this morning. going after the EGR next then maybe o2 sensors. Wish me luck!
What codes are you getting, specifically?

·
Registered
3 Posts
What codes are you getting, specifically?
The codes at P0301,P0302,P0303,P0305 and the Random Misfire code I think its P1300. Once in a while I will see a "system too rich", so that makes me think the O2 sensor might be to blame.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I pulled my egr and cleaned it up nice. It wasnt as dirty as id hoped but it was far from clean hahaha. I used a good 1/3 can of throttle body cleaner but brake cleaner works too. Really hope its your issue! Hondas are so amazing and im ELATED to see yours above 200k! Im sotting at about 187k now on mine. Keep us posted for sure😎

·
Registered
24 Posts
Reporting back on my fixes. New air filter. Cleaned EGR. Pulled plate and cleaned despite no cool veins. Fixed air inlet tube. So far so good! Idle is much better. Gas mileage is WAY better. Burned thru the tank of 91 and Techron. Success!! Now back to power steering lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok guys. Took me awhile but after going over everything it came down to valve adjustment. I'm guessing her first one ever. Exhaust valves were at 5! She fires right up no more long crank. No small idle bumps. Hoping I get slightly better mpg. A buddy did it at his shop for $300 and I got gaskets and spark plugs. All in all 400 total. Shes got 185,880k.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts