Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2008 AWD Pilot

338 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  plplplpl
Is there a way to switch from 4wheel drive to 2 wheel drive on this car. There is a button or switch having to do with the 4 wheel drive but it doesn't work. I wonder if I were to fix that would be able to switch from 4 WD TO 2WD? The fuel economy is pretty bad, wondering if its bc of full time AWD.
Thanks.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L, 2016 Accord EX 6MT
55 Posts
The first gen Pilot's are not AWD and they're not full time. The VTM-4 4WD system sends power to the rear wheels during acceleration or when traction is needed then reverts to 2WD operation.

The VTM-4 button on the dash "locks" the rear diff for extra traction and can only be used in lower gears or reverse, not regular D/Drive.

I don't have an answer on disabling the 4WD system other than possibly removing some fuses etc but you're likely going to get a ton of warning lights/MIL that can't be shut off and you could damage the drivetrain. Further more, the 2WD Pilots from 06-08 only get 1-2 MPG better than the 4WD so I don't really think it would be worth the risk, at least not to me.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first gen Pilot's are not AWD and they're not full time. The VTM-4 4WD system sends power to the rear wheels during acceleration or when traction is needed then reverts to 2WD operation.

The VTM-4 button on the dash "locks" the rear diff for extra traction and can only be used in lower gears or reverse, not regular D/Drive.

I don't have an answer on disabling the 4WD system other than possibly removing some fuses etc but you're likely going to get a ton of warning lights/MIL that can't be shut off and you could damage the drivetrain. Further more, the 2WD Pilots from 06-08 only get 1-2 MPG better than the 4WD so I don't really think it would be worth the risk, at least not to me.
Appreciate the info sir.

· Registered
05 EX-L
637 Posts
If you are getting bad MPG you either need a tune-up or your calipers are dragging.
With someone in the driver seat able to apply the brakes, put it in neutral on level ground and push it forward. It should roll with a little bit of effort, but if you can't move it at all, you need to lift the vehicle and spin each wheel in neutral with the Emergency/park brake off. You may have a stuck caliper guide pin, or seized piston. You will know when you start getting into it.
Remove your Air filter and make sure you can see light through it. Check your spark plugs for damage, oil, proper gap (just visual do not touch the electrode), Remove your serpentine belt and spin your pulleys and make sure they all spin independently, they don't stop abruptly, or are hard to spin. They shouldn't free spin either.
What kind of MPG are you getting? I get 16 city driving hard (I have a lead foot), and 24 mpg Highway cruising. I usually end up getting 20mpg at the pump mixed depending on which I do more.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are getting bad MPG you either need a tune-up or your calipers are dragging.
With someone in the driver seat able to apply the brakes, put it in neutral on level ground and push it forward. It should roll with a little bit of effort, but if you can't move it at all, you need to lift the vehicle and spin each wheel in neutral with the Emergency/park brake off. You may have a stuck caliper guide pin, or seized piston. You will know when you start getting into it.
Remove your Air filter and make sure you can see light through it. Check your spark plugs for damage, oil, proper gap (just visual do not touch the electrode), Remove your serpentine belt and spin your pulleys and make sure they all spin independently, they don't stop abruptly, or are hard to spin. They shouldn't free spin either.
What kind of MPG are you getting? I get 16 city driving hard (I have a lead foot), and 24 mpg Highway cruising. I usually end up getting 20mpg at the pump mixed depending on which I do more.
i get 15-16 mpg

· Registered
05 EX-L
637 Posts
If that is in the snow in the city that is not bad. Even just city that is about right. If you are just driving without trying to drive to get better mpg. If that is mostly highway and dry pavement, I would start with the above, and go further. Check PSI I like 35. Full synthetic oil change, 3X drain fill tranny fluid, Clean EGR, Valve lash, empty extra weight from vehicle, wash vehicle, check wheel bearings, make sure brake pads can slide back and forth without binding, replace VTM-4 fluid, remove roof rack if you have one, make sure panels are secured like front bumper, or splash shield, no vacuum leaks, and the list goes on. Change your driving habits. Use top tier fuel, make sure your fluid levels are between the marks. Clean battery terminals, and check ground wires. Think of anything that would cause friction, restriction, or malfunction basically. You can improve your MPG by a few, but you will have to be diligent in keeping up on them to make sure they keep tip top.

· Registered
13,314 Posts

Here's a visualization...

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Diagram

OP, if you'd like to geek out on the system, see what I've attached. :)

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts