Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. First time poster here, please let me know if I placed this in the wrong spot. 2007 pilot with 148k mi. Replaced the timing belt and water pump (whole kit) in February of this year. 2-3 weeks ago she started with a rattle that seemed to come from the passenger side. It wasn’t constant, more off and on. Not related to start up and/or warm up. To keep it short, we were unable to do anything due to a family issue. Here we are 2-3 wks later and it’s constant now, and louder. Obviously we parked her and used our other vehicles, so she’s been sitting about 5 days. Began researching here and figured either timing belt tensioner or accessory belt tensioner. We thought it couldn’t be the timing belt tensioner. We just replaced it right!? No leaks, I will be looking closer for cracks today, it is very hot to the touch though. I can feel slight tapping when I touch it, but nothing that screams “I’m the problem!” Yesterday we started her and released the tension on the accessory belt pulley, sound stopped. Thought that must be the issue, so we replaced it. The sound IS slightly reduced, but definitely still there. We’re not mad over replacing the pulley tensioner though, there was a bad bearing so it needed it anyway. However I have a daughter taking her drive test Thursday and we need a running vehicle that’s not a gas hog for the other family matter. Can someone help out here? Could our timing tensioner be bad already? Or the timing tensioner pulley? Video taken yesterday before any repairs, and it’s not that different now. We put few miles on her, she’s ran great before and after the timing belt work. We’ve put maybe 4k on her since the timing belt kit was done. Thanks in advance, I’ve lurked here for a long time and have gathered loads of info.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
334 Posts
That sounds different than mine, and I know for sure mine was timing belt tensioner. I'm not saying yours is not that, just that it sounds different than mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds different than mine, and I know for sure mine was timing belt tensioner. I'm not saying yours is not that, just that it sounds different than mine.
Yeah. We honestly thought it was a belt, fan, or even heat shield somewhere at first. Nope. Definitely in the engine area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, pulled the tire and got a close look. Now it sounds forward of the tensioner, (pardon the fat finger block in the middle).

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,300 Posts
Does the Dayco kit use the Gates water pump? What does it say on your box, on your receipt or on the Amazon site?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, went and bought a stethoscope and the new serpentine belt. Definitely in the front, so I’m guessing idler pulley? Some serious noise coming from back side of the cover and the cover itself. Someone chime in here, I’m shooting in the dark. I can get a new one today, but why would this fail? If it’s the problem. Am I better off just redoing the whole dang thing again?

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Symptom: A chirp is coming from the lower timing belt area. The noise is most prominent at idle, usually after the engine has warmed up.
Probable Cause: The idler pulley mounting surface is tilted, causing the edge of the timing belt to rub against the side of the drive pulley (gear).
CORRECTIVE ACTION: Install a tapered shim and, if needed, grind a deeper relief on the engine mount bracket.

https://www.daycoproducts.com/stuff/dpdata/images/IS0250.PDF

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Symptom: A chirp is coming from the lower timing belt area. The noise is most prominent at idle, usually after the engine has warmed up.
Probable Cause: The idler pulley mounting surface is tilted, causing the edge of the timing belt to rub against the side of the drive pulley (gear).
CORRECTIVE ACTION: Install a tapered shim and, if needed, grind a deeper relief on the engine mount bracket.

https://www.daycoproducts.com/stuff/dpdata/images/IS0250.PDF
Well I was thinking this isn’t a chirp. I expected that to be higher pitched. I’m going to remove the covers and see what’s going on. I placed the shim at installation, so not sure on this.

·
Registered
550 Posts
In your original post you said the noise stopped when you released tension on the serp belt, do it still stop when you release the serp belt tension?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In your original post you said the noise stopped when you released tension on the serp belt, do it still stop when you release the serp belt tension?
No it didn’t. I pulled the timing cover and left the serpentine belt off. We narrowed it down to the timing belt tension pulley. Not only can you hear it, the pulley will wobble when manipulated by hand. Idler pulley seems snug, no noise from it with the stethoscope directly on its center bolt, shim is still in place, zero wear on the cover. There is grease on the cover at the timing belt tensioner pulley, and also grease on the edge by the idler pulley. Idler is dry, tensioner is greasy. Thinking spun bearing in the tensioner, but won’t know until we get the replacement tomorrow when it comes in. Will post with an update, this has frustrated us to no end. Every time we think we have it, Bam, new direction lol.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
432 Posts
Congratulations man!!!! Know it was a PAIN but y’all hung in and persevered 👍. The next question is will it be Warranty replacement or OEM or OE?

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts