Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an issue with my power steering getting hard after the car warm up. In the morning, when cold it feels loose and easy to turn, but after a while it gets hard to turn when the car is parked. While I drive is ok, but trying to park the car is a bear.
I have replace both O' rings replace the fluid, bleed the system but no help. It looks it may be the pump gone or should I look for something else ??

Note; there is no noise coming from the PS, and no foam when looking in the reservoir...

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,199 Posts
For starters, when was the last time you changed your serpentine belt? And have you ever changed its tensioner?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
As mentioned check the condition of your serpentine belt but an issue there would affect other belt driven components.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hum ha.. ho.. well I guess I never did... would that affect it.??
I inspect it when I actually removed the pump to replace the o' ring on the high pressure side and it looked pretty good..( The serpenrine belt)
I would think it would squeak or would give me other indication.. I run the A/C all the time and that also has no issue..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried something else yesterday once I got home. I parked the car and tried to turn the wheels it was very hard; then,still in park, i raved the engine to about 2100 RPM and turned the wheel. it felt right ...
does that say something?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,199 Posts
Edit: ¿Por qué double post?

Double Edit: Never mind.

I still want to say serpentine belt and/or its tensioner, but it may also be the PS pump itself.

If you're going to fire the parts cannon, may as well start with the cheapest ordnance.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I'm leaning towards worn out pump. If the tensioner or belt were failing, you would be having alternator and AC troubles too.

Reactions: Slvr7 and plplplpl

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be replacing the serpentine belt anyway at 186K miles I think she done her part. As far as the pump.. New AFT market ? New OEM? Rebuilt ? I have seen some on Amazon for 60 bucks but I don't trust the chinese crap on amazon . is only a waste of time

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I will be replacing the serpentine belt anyway at 186K miles I think she done her part. As far as the pump.. New AFT market ? New OEM? Rebuilt ? I have seen some on Amazon for 60 bucks but I don't trust the chinese crap on amazon . is only a waste of time
The decision is yours. The power steering pump is so easy to change out, I'd probably just get a rebuilt one with a lifetime warranty from a local parts store.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Could possibly be your PSF reservoir? There is a filtration screen in the bottom of it that will get clogged with PSF hose material over time and there is no bypass if it gets clogged up and will restrict PSF flow and add strain on your PSF pump. You can clean it or just buy a new one for like $20. May not be the solution to your problem but, it's cheap/easy and eliminate a possible culprit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts