Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got some new polks to put in all four doors and found out the factory screw to put speaker through basket are not long enough.

Does anyone know what type of special screws those are that thread into plastic and their size? Just need another 1/4 " +

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
410 Posts
I came across this post while searching for this answer for myself, sad to see it's not answered clearly anywhere else. I replaced the stock speakers with 6-1/2" Kicker speakers in my 04' EX-L. I didn't have to cut the back off the OEM plastic mounting bracket things like the Crutchfield instructions said I did, but I did have to break off the 3 little plastic tabs that held the original speaker to the plastic bracket. So because the screws now have to go through the new speaker's outer ring, you need longer ones than what you just took off. The original screws are #8 screws, about 1-1/4" long. I found that #8 pan head sheet metal screws 1-1/2" long fit perfectly. I bought a 6-pack of them at Lowes (pn: 490208) for a little more than a dollar, so 2 packs will be enough to do all 4 speakers (12 screws total).

I was really annoyed the night I tried to swap my speakers and found that the original screws were too short to use with the new speakers, so I had to put everything back together, go to the store, find new screws, and then go home and take the door panels off again. Hopefully this info will prevent someone from making the same mistake.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow just what I was looking for
I myself bought new speakers for all 4 doors
6.5 inch and the screws are too small

Any help on trimming the plastic piece that holds the speaker would help too

Or point me in the right direction

Thanks yall

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
410 Posts
Wow just what I was looking for
I myself bought new speakers for all 4 doors
6.5 inch and the screws are too small

Any help on trimming the plastic piece that holds the speaker would help too

Or point me in the right direction

Thanks yall
It depends on which model of 6.5 inch speaker you bought. If they are actual 6.5 inc ones, then all you'll need to do is break the 3 small plastic tabs that hold the original Honda speaker to the plastic bracket. They're about 3/8" little tabs that you can snip off with diagonal cutters or twist them off with needle nose pliers. The factory screws only hold the plastic bracket to the door, and the plastic tabs hold the original speaker to the bracket. With the new speaker, the screws will go through the speaker's mounting holes, through the bracket, and into the door.

However, when I bought my first pair of 6.5 inch speakers, they didn't fit into the plastic brackets, and then reading the fine print of the speakers specs, they were actually 6.75 inch ones, which meant I would have to cut the back off the plastic bracket, which could expose the back of the speaker to more moisture in the door, which I didn't want to do. Many installation guides tell you to just cut the back off the bracket anyway, but I didn't want to do that. I went back to Crutchfield and searched for speakers that they listed were compatible with my year (04) and ordered actual 6.5 inch speakers. When they arrived, they popped right in without any modification necessary to the plastic bracket, other than removing the 3 little tabs mentioned above.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do you mean these
Screenshot_20200410-144148_Chrome.jpg

It depends on which model of 6.5 inch speaker you bought. If they are actual 6.5 inc ones, then all you'll need to do is break the 3 small plastic tabs that hold the original Honda speaker to the plastic bracket. They're about 3/8" little tabs that you can snip off with diagonal cutters or twist them off with needle nose pliers. The factory screws only hold the plastic bracket to the door, and the plastic tabs hold the original speaker to the bracket. With the new speaker, the screws will go through the speaker's mounting holes, through the bracket, and into the door.

However, when I bought my first pair of 6.5 inch speakers, they didn't fit into the plastic brackets, and then reading the fine print of the speakers specs, they were actually 6.75 inch ones, which meant I would have to cut the back off the plastic bracket, which could expose the back of the speaker to more moisture in the door, which I didn't want to do. Many installation guides tell you to just cut the back off the bracket anyway, but I didn't want to do that. I went back to Crutchfield and searched for speakers that they listed were compatible with my year (04) and ordered actual 6.5 inch speakers. When they arrived, they popped right in without any modification necessary to the plastic bracket, other than removing the 3 little tabs mentioned above.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
410 Posts
Yes, those screws will work, but note that they will require a square head bit. Many people don't have a bit like that laying around, so you might try to find a screw with a phillips head if you don't have the proper size square bit in your toolbox.

As for the speakers, your link didn't work, but I was able to search for the part number by getting it from the URL. There's not enough info on the page to tell if it'll fit without modifying the plastic bracket, but based on the photo, there are 4 holes in the speaker's mounting lip, all are 90 degrees apart. The speaker bracket on my 04 has only 3 mounting holes, so there's 120 degrees apart. On the aftermarket speakers I bought, there were 2 sets of holes in the mounting lip, allowing the use to pick whichever set they needed for their car, either 90-degree, or 120-degree. So you might have to drill 2 extra holes in your speaker's mounting lip in order to have them line up with your mounting bracket.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes so I did remove the plastic back and its just i need the new screws to put the speakers in as I have the bracket back in with original screws
Gonna just drill the new holes for the speaker and should be good

Also noticed the wiring for speakers is quite short and hard to get at
I didnt buy the adapter so it would go from the factory clip to the new speaker
I cut as close.to the clip and have the 2 wires now and need to remove tape and splice them into the new speaker

What a pain in the A$$

·
Registered
5,482 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can anybody recommend me some speaker brackets for the 2007 Honda Pilot sorry I didn't wanna open up a new thread and I didn't want to respond to an old thread

·
Registered
474 Posts
Loading Pilot 2007 in Crutfield, it pretty much lists all 5.25" and 6.5" speakers as matching the front and rear doors.
Selecting any 6.5" speaker, there is no additional bracket recommendation, so it would appear that 6.5" speakers can be simply installed as-is. Might need to drill a couple new holes though.

For any 5.25" speaker, however, they include these:

Note also that for each pair of speakers, Crutchfield also bundles these:

If one plans to use existing speaker wiring, these make hookup a lot easier.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks everyone , I've finished them up by using my own custom made bracket and I had just spliced the wires and added my own attachments to the speakers via soldering . I'm looking for ideas on setting up a shallowmount subwoofer in the back right side panel. Should I just wire it to the deck or to the amp only.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts