Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, my 07 Pilot starts vibrating badly when the torque converter kicks in. It's not missfiring or anything. I have read a few posts about changing the trans fluid and something about the engine killing 3 cylinders when this happens. Is there a way to disconnect the torque converter? The RPM's don't really change at all when it kicks in so not really of much use anyway.

·
Registered
133 Posts
No you cannot disconnect the torque converter, it is mechanically connected to the input shaft/output shaft, you will have to change the trans. fluid drain & fill at every oil change until the shaking goes away OR you will have to change the torque converter if it becomes too bad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Amave17. I was hoping it was like the old GM transmissions where you could unplug the torque converter clutch solenoid to disable the clutch from locking up. I see that a lot of people recommend using Red Line fluid, is there a specific type? How much is typically used in a drain and fill?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went to auto zone and put a torque converter shutter stopper and lucas oil slip stopper in mine every time I changed the fluid. It seems to work for me. I also changed my fluid about 4 times in 300 miles. adding those two things and getting new fluid in mine helped alot.

·
Registered
133 Posts
the main reason according to Honda for torque converter shudder is due to the fluid breakdown, which means old fluid is more prone to cause TC shudder which means change your trans fluid regularly and use only Honda approved fluid

1 - 5 of 5 Posts