Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.. I have a 2007 Pilot 170k which I am taking for a Memorial Day Weekend NY to Florida gettaway in 48hrs.(1200k each way ) .. Ive had a full tune up, oil change, suspension done for this .. dont know if its just me but i am feeling as if the A/C should be kicking a iittle colder when its on Auto A/C .. intermittently i feel the rear A/C is blowing colder Air and the front passenger vent by passenger door is not blowing with the same energy as the drivers side vent.. then i feel like is just me over worrying about this family vacation going well.. and also hearing a intermittent whirring sound coming from the dash area.. I took it to my trusted mechanic that performed all my current services and he thinks its nothing.. He put the A/C on full blast and it got cold and looked for the sound of the AC compressor kick in on que..That still doesnt convice me that AC is good to go.. I usually have my AC at 71 Auto and feels great.. i am finding myself rooting for a little bit of colder air when i am feeling the front vents.. or maybe the current weather of 60 in NY is throwing off my belief of how cold the air should be.. .
PS. The Air Cabin Filter was just changed as part of the Full Tune Up. The same mechanic told it was really dirty..
Any suggestions or similar experiences are welcomed!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just went through my kid’s 2006 Pilot A/C, and have a vague memory of reported problems with some blend door actuator that gives this symptom.

Can’t remember more than that, but it’s a place to start your search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Dan.. I had a friend tell me the same thing about a blend door actuator. I actually came back from my Memorial Day Weekend trip yesterday morning.. I did not have any issues with the AC in the front vents tho rear AC still felt colder.. I am very satisfied how my 2007 Pilot (173k now) handled herself.. We were all comfortable the whole ride to Orlando FL and back to NY. Funny thing tho..2 hours left on the trip back to NY, I reached my hand back to feel rear AC vents ..nothing! Played with all the modes..rear AC power..still nothing.. my kids did not feel bothered and said they were comfortable.. Once i got home I ordered a rear blower motor resistor from Amazon $15..(I replaced this part a year ago as it is a common problem with this Pilot generation) very easy to do. Only thing is that i dont remember cleaning the filter vents as recommended.. this morning the rear AC started working as if nothing happened..with the same cold output.. might be going on me again..dont know.. but i will still wait for replacement and this time i will make sure to vacuum the vent filter.. This is the part I ordered on Amazon..PartsSquare Rear A/C Heater Blower Motor Resistor Compatible with Acura Mdx 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 Blower Resistor Replacement for Honda Pilot 03-08 HVAC Blower Regulator 4P1493 RU364 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YXBA4GC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_QYs0Eb7MKV4GA
Once again, thanks for your advice Dan

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Always a good idea to vacuum this from time to time. Pity the owner's manual doesn't mention it as a maintenance item.

·
Registered
27 Posts
+1 on vacuuming that rear fan screen! The one on my kid's car was so matted and plugged it wasn't obvious how to remove it. Totally blocked off airflow.

The link for the blower motor resistor didn't work, but that could be my 7 year old computer and software.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
27 Posts
Now THAT is a proper blower motor resistor. Looks like a cast aluminum heat sink. All the other ones I’ve seen looked like 3 springs mounted on a piece of plastic board. (I’m looking at you, Ford!)

While I’ve never considered buying a Honda before, after working on the kid’s I have to say I’m impressed with the build quality. In the A/C, it’s TXV’s (Thermostatic eXpansion Valve) instead of an orifice tube. The only A/C hoses that are really hoses, are at the compressor and have to be. Everything else was bent tubing with good quality fittings.

Whoever designed it seems to have hated mechanics, but they by G-d didn’t skimp on construction!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any suggestions or similar experiences are welcomed! [/QUOTE said:
The Heater Air Blend Door Actuator, located at the passenger footwell, on the left bottom of the glove compartment, is a part that goes bad and makes weird noises when it malfunctions ("angry squirrel noises"). It is a part that costs ~$265 genuine Honda, but Amazon has just started selling an aftermarket past [https://www.amazon.com/ECCPP-2002-2006-1999-2004-2003-2008-79160S0XA01/dp/B0824VHHSM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pl_foot_top?ie=UTF8]. This part controls the mixing of hot and cold air to deliver the requested temperature in the climate control. If it does not work well, then the mixing is incorrect and the air coming out of the vents has the wrong temperature (not corresponding to the setting). Another part that can cause similar symptoms is the hot water valve (flow regulator) located on the firewall at the engine side. It controls the flow of hot water to the heater. This gets rusty and sticky, and does not open and close all the way. If that happens, you have your AC fighting with your heater for dominance of the temperature control. You do not want this.
I believe there are posts (and youtube videos) for replacing both of these parts, just search in the forums and youtube.
I have a 2004 Pilot EXL (bought new) and have just replaced the Heater Air Blend Door Actuator with the aforementioned aftermarket part. Perfect fit. I might have to replace the heater valve too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
  • Thanks for the the reply dimitrak..Very interesting info on the blend door actuator.. the part on amazon is a great deal vs. OEM..will keep that in mind if symptoms return.. it was June 1st yesterday in NYC and we still wearing light jackets..as soon as we have a flow of high 70s and 80s i will definitely figure this out.. also.. i had got the idea that replacing the door blend actuator was a hard job since a mechanic quoted $800 for parts and labor??? Even if OEM part is $300....$500 for labor? Makes no sense.. i rather do my timing belt for the 2nd time (173k) .. Either way, thanks for expanding my options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts