Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched all over this forum and others but haven't found anyone with same combination of issues. 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD with about 145k miles has had P0420 code for a while maybe a year now intermittently. Only seemed to come on right after refueling every few fill-ups, so I replaced gas cap but that did not change anything. That was the only code I was getting and fuel consumption was not affected so I left it alone. After a long road trip last month it was just starting to idle a little rough but not very much, I thought it could be ignition coils as I had same problem with a previous Honda around same mileage so I was planning to check those soon. It has sat for the last few weeks, might have driven it once or twice since then.

Then yesterday my mother drove it about 70 miles round trip and said it was running very rough much worse than before and now the Check Engine Light was coming on and flashing at times along with the VTM-4 light. Unfortunately that's the most detail she could give me. I go to check it out this morning and the car will not start. Turn the key to ACC and all lights come on, gauges working, but as soon as I try starting it cranks very slowly but will not start, and stops cranking after a few seconds. Some of the dash lights go off, some stay on, some blink. No clicking, no other noises. Battery and alternator were both replaced 3 years ago and I have not had any battery issues. My scanner says battery is at about 12.3V but I still connected to charger/jumper anyway but no change. Thought it could be the starter going out but why the very next day after misfire and wouldn't I have the clicking sound? From my searching I have seen several possible culprits for misfiring but none of those threads also mentioned the vehicle cranking but not starting. Could any of the following issues also cause engine to crank but not start?

-bad ignition coils
-spark plugs fouled
-valve needing adjustment
-PCV valve
-EGR valve
-carbon buildup in channels of manifold top cover
-spark plug backed out/loose? Looks like this was an issue on 2009+ Pilots that could cause significant damage to short block. Hoping this is not it.

Any advice on what to check first? Wouldn't there be some terrible noises coming from the engine if a spark plug backed out causing major damage? Could a loose or fouled spark plug cause it not to start? Any other issues that could cause misfire codes? Any fuel system problems that are likely to happen in a Pilot and cause no start? Looks like fuel pumps rarely fail on Hondas and it makes the normal whirring sound when I turn the key no whining or loud noise but could a clogged injector or some other fuel system part cause crank/no start?

I know the spark plugs are overdue for replacement but overall maintenance has been completed regularly, timing belt 40k/4 years ago, oil changed regularly and never low, radiator replaced 2 years ago, no transmission problems. The only other problem I have ever had since buying 9 years ago at 36k is occasionally when making a tight turn from a stop the VSA / traction triangle light will come on and the car will hesitate for a few seconds like it has temporarily cut power to accelerator. This has been happening once in a while over several years and though I think its a significant safety concern no one has been able to figure out exactly what is causing it so I have just lived with it and try not to turn the wheel all the way when making a turn from a stop.

Sorry I am all over the place but it just seems like there could be dozens of different problems so anything I can do to eliminate some of those or at least to get it started to get it to mechanic is my goal at this point. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
I think you've done a good job of narrowing down some likely suspects. Perhaps start with some of the easiest and cheapest items on your list: (Carefully) change out the PCV valve and check all your spark plugs.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
The only other problem I have ever had since buying 9 years ago at 36k is occasionally when making a tight turn from a stop the VSA / traction triangle light will come on and the car will hesitate for a few seconds like it has temporarily cut power to accelerator. This has been happening once in a while over several years and though I think its a significant safety concern no one has been able to figure out exactly what is causing it so I have just lived with it and try not to turn the wheel all the way when making a turn from a stop.
Also, when was the last time the VTM-4 fluid was changed, or for that matter the front transfer case oil?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies plplplpl. Over the last few days I checked pcv valve, tried another battery and a new starter and still no change. So tonight I decided to check the ignition coils. Since cylinder 5 was the first code on the list I decided to pull that one first and sure enough only half of the coil came out and what did come out was charred and very dirty. I pulled out cyl 6 coil and that came out in one piece looking brand new very clean. None of my tools were long enough and narrow enough to get the piece so I am stopping and will continue tomorrow with the right tools. I still don't know how much trouble this will give me since it may be stuck onto the spark plug. Others who have had just the rubber tip break off have been able to remove with a sharp pick or hook but I don't know if that will be enough to pull it out. It's a pretty clean/flat break so not much to grab on to.

I will post some pictures later in case anyone with the same problem stumbles across this post.

Still too early to tell if this will fix all the problems but it leads me to believe the spark plug is loose so I will be checking that before installing new coil. If it starts after that it's going straight to the shop to get checked out and have the others replaced.

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
69 Posts
Searched all over this forum and others but haven't found anyone with same combination of issues. 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD with about 145k miles has had P0420 code for a while maybe a year now intermittently. Only seemed to come on right after refueling every few fill-ups, so I replaced gas cap but that did not change anything. That was the only code I was getting and fuel consumption was not affected so I left it alone. After a long road trip last month it was just starting to idle a little rough but not very much, I thought it could be ignition coils as I had same problem with a previous Honda around same mileage so I was planning to check those soon. It has sat for the last few weeks, might have driven it once or twice since then.

Then yesterday my mother drove it about 70 miles round trip and said it was running very rough much worse than before and now the Check Engine Light was coming on and flashing at times along with the VTM-4 light. Unfortunately that's the most detail she could give me. I go to check it out this morning and the car will not start. Turn the key to ACC and all lights come on, gauges working, but as soon as I try starting it cranks very slowly but will not start, and stops cranking after a few seconds. Some of the dash lights go off, some stay on, some blink. No clicking, no other noises. Battery and alternator were both replaced 3 years ago and I have not had any battery issues. My scanner says battery is at about 12.3V but I still connected to charger/jumper anyway but no change. Thought it could be the starter going out but why the very next day after misfire and wouldn't I have the clicking sound? From my searching I have seen several possible culprits for misfiring but none of those threads also mentioned the vehicle cranking but not starting. Could any of the following issues also cause engine to crank but not start?

-bad ignition coils
-spark plugs fouled
-valve needing adjustment
-PCV valve
-EGR valve
-carbon buildup in channels of manifold top cover
-spark plug backed out/loose? Looks like this was an issue on 2009+ Pilots that could cause significant damage to short block. Hoping this is not it.

Any advice on what to check first? Wouldn't there be some terrible noises coming from the engine if a spark plug backed out causing major damage? Could a loose or fouled spark plug cause it not to start? Any other issues that could cause misfire codes? Any fuel system problems that are likely to happen in a Pilot and cause no start? Looks like fuel pumps rarely fail on Hondas and it makes the normal whirring sound when I turn the key no whining or loud noise but could a clogged injector or some other fuel system part cause crank/no start?

I know the spark plugs are overdue for replacement but overall maintenance has been completed regularly, timing belt 40k/4 years ago, oil changed regularly and never low, radiator replaced 2 years ago, no transmission problems. The only other problem I have ever had since buying 9 years ago at 36k is occasionally when making a tight turn from a stop the VSA / traction triangle light will come on and the car will hesitate for a few seconds like it has temporarily cut power to accelerator. This has been happening once in a while over several years and though I think its a significant safety concern no one has been able to figure out exactly what is causing it so I have just lived with it and try not to turn the wheel all the way when making a turn from a stop.

Sorry I am all over the place but it just seems like there could be dozens of different problems so anything I can do to eliminate some of those or at least to get it started to get it to mechanic is my goal at this point. Thank you.

Honda has a problem with your vintage Pilot and all of there V6 vehicles. To increase fuel efficiency, the reduce ring pressure in 2007. This les to increased oil consumption and plug fouling.

Im guessing your car still has its original plugs in it? They should have been replaced at 100K. If you pull them, you will see carbon fouling, hence the misfire.

The VTM4 light is on as the computer has determined the engine is unhealrhy (misfiring) and so it is telling you it will not engage 4WD.

This vintage of engine can also have an oil leak issue with the VTec valves. These valves are operated by engine oil pressure and vary the engine valve timing based on engine speed etc. It is possible a leaky valve is screwing up engine timing, but I'm betting on oil fouled plugs

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is my first post, just joined this group and have a similar problem; problems and recommend both of us look at timing belt...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts