Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll start this by giving y'all a little backstory. I have a 2007 pilot -183xxx miles- that we recently had to redo the headgaskets on, or so we thought. We replaced them the first time, and everything was ok and the car drove 100%, however, things took a turn for the worse. The coolant turned peanut butter and the oil was fouled yet again. We took the heads to get them surfaced and they found a crack in the bank 1 head that extended all the way into the cam journal. We did the headgaskets again, however, now the car has a low/rough idle. When the idle is lower (approx 5-600ish) there is a hesitation until above 900ish, then the car drives normal. This problem doesn't always exist however. Sometimes when I start, it will hold approx 750, although still not the smoothest idle (it feels a little bit off - comparing to our 2008 Ridgeline) it will respond normally to throttle inputs.

I had a Cylinder 2 misfire code. Swapped 2 and 4 coil packs to see if it would throw a cylinder 4 misfire and misfire code hasn't reappeared.
Code P2279 - vacuum leak - will appear occasionally.
O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2 - Although this should only affect emissions to my knowledge

From looking around this forum/google searches, here are things I have already done.
  • Swapped plugs to NGK iridium
  • Checked spark on all cylinders
  • Checked for intake leaks with carb cleaner
  • Cleaned throttle body
  • Cleaned EGR (currently in the process)
  • Redid intake gaskets and checked for anything blatantly wrong
  • Checked injectors to make sure all were firing
I have seen that the power steering pressure switch can cause idle issues, although from my reading it is normally only when the steering is at full lock.

Is there anything else I can check before spending even more money replacing random components? It definitely feels like an intake leak when the idle is low, although I feel like I am chasing my tail a little bit here as I can't seem to find the source. We have a 2000 Odyssey and 2008 Ridgeline and have never had any of these problems.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Let's start with the quick, easy and inexpensive things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's start with the quick, easy and inexpensive things.

Thanks for the reply. The intake pipe is definitely worn and more brittle than new, but it looks to be OK for the time being. I'll try the PCV and see if that'll do it. Just put Sea Foam in the tank last night!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,845 Posts
Check out this post. It’s a list of things I tried on my wife’s 2005 Pilot to resolve a rough idle. The only thing left to try is to have the valves adjusted, but it’s not bad enough where I want to shell out the money to have the mechanic perform the job. If we get a third vehicle in the near future I’ll probably give this a shot myself since I wouldn’t be under a time crunch to get a daily driver up and running same day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check out this post. It’s a list of things I tried on my wife’s 2005 Pilot to resolve a rough idle. The only thing left to try is to have the valves adjusted, but it’s not bad enough where I want to shell out the money to have the mechanic perform the job. If we get a third vehicle in the near future I’ll probably give this a shot myself since I wouldn’t be under a time crunch to get a daily driver up and running same day.
I believe I read through your post when I was searching for things. When both heads were at the machine shop getting surfaced they re-cut the valve seats and basically did a full valve job so I would hope they set the lash correctly.

It never hurts to check however so I'll get in there with some feelers and check the lash all around!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts