Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this has been a very frustrating problem over the last few days, i changed my brake pads and right after i was done the front Driver side tire area started making a knocking noise, getting faster based on the speed i go and when i brake it goes away, even just pressing the brake very slightly. We took the tire off and checked it out 7 times inspecting making sure everything is where it’s supposed to be and tight. Still the noise persists, i’ve checked to make sure nothings inside the rim, the brake dust flap isn’t hitting it, even making sure the lug nuts are tight which was an answer when searching this problem came up a lot, but still nothing. I decided today to take it to my mechanic and they couldn’t even figure out what could be making the noise. I have another issue with my flex pipe, just loud exaust so that’s getting loud to where it’s harder to hear knocking but it’s still there, i’m curious if that could have anything to do with it but doubt it. Anyone’s answers/guidance is appreciated.

Edit: I also forgot to mention sound gets more intense or notice it more turning right but happens constantly going straight

Here’s a video of the noise:

·
Super Moderator
5,148 Posts
Check to see whether the OEM front exhaust pipe is still available. There are aftermarket exhaust solutions or find a reputable shop to cut the old flex section off and weld on a replacement. The knocking noise is loud and consistent...sure it wasn't there before the brake job? Clicking is usually the tell tale sound of CV axle issues but mine silently slung grease and caused some intermittent vibration at highway speeds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check to see whether the OEM front exhaust pipe is still available. There are aftermarket exhaust solutions or find a reputable shop to cut the old flex section off and weld on a replacement. The knocking noise is loud and consistent...sure it wasn't there before the brake job? Clicking is usually the tell tale sound of CV axle issues but mine silently slung grease and caused some intermittent vibration at highway speeds.
Yes 100% wasn’t there before brake job. I don’t know how it could be anything with that because the car actually wasn’t even driven much after brake job because i noticed it immediately first 20 ft of driving out the driveway. Unless it is a weird coincidence but even mechanic was confused. I might try a different mechanic but what would i look for with CV Axle?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Go in a parking lot and turn hard left. Turn the wheel all the way left and drive in tight circles. Do the same with the wheel to the right. If you hear a clunking noise it’s the CV axle.

Jack the car up. Grab the wheel at the 3 and 9 o’clock position. Push and pull back and forth. If there is movement, grab the top and bottom so 12 and 6 o’clock position and push and pull. If there is movement in both the 3 and 9 plus 6 and 12. It is the wheel bearing. If there is only movement in the 3 and 9 o’clock position it is the tie rod.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go in a parking lot and turn hard left. Turn the wheel all the way left and drive in tight circles. Do the same with the wheel to the right. If you hear a clunking noise it’s the CV axle.

Jack the car up. Grab the wheel at the 3 and 9 o’clock position. Push and pull back and forth. If there is movement, grab the top and bottom so 12 and 6 o’clock position and push and pull. If there is movement in both the 3 and 9 plus 6 and 12. It is the wheel bearing. If there is only movement in the 3 and 9 o’clock position it is the tie rod.
I have driven it a bit with the problem and i notice it kinda comes and goes but within minutes, some periods of 5 mins it’s there other it’s gone. But i hear it almost every time i take a right turn but not so much left. I took it to a mechanic and they had no clue what it could be, i’m bringing it to another one in the morning. If he can’t figure it out i’ll try that. But based on it being consistent turning right, think it’s the CV axle?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.