Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I bought my first 07' Honda pilot EX on February 18, 2007 it was a Sunday and I walked in kind of late into the dealer they closed at 7:00 that day and I walked out the door at 10:00 so at the end we were kind of rushing it. My problem is that I live in El Centro, CA and I bought the vehicle in San Diego when I got home and pressed the remote on the key to lock the doors it did not work so I had to close the door manually with the key itself I called the dealer next day and they said that because of the rush they must have forgotten to program the transmitter they said if I drove up they would do it for free I called my local dealer here in the Valley and they said that they will do it for $94.00 dlls. So I got on the internet and found this

Programming the Transmitter

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).
2. Press the “Lock” or “Unlock” button on one of the transmitters. (An unprogrammed transmitter can be used for this step.)
3. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).
4. Repeat steps 1, 2, and 3 two more times using the same transmitter used in step 2.
5. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).
6. Press the “Lock” or “Unlock” button on the same transmitter. Make sure the power door locks cycle to confirm that the system is in programming mode.
7. Within 10 seconds, press the “Lock” or “Unlock” button on each transmitter. Make sure the power door locks cycle after you press each transmitter button to confirm that the system accepted the transmitter’s code.
8. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0) to exit the programming mode.

after trying several times nothing happens I also got a call from the service dept of the dealer where I bought the car and they gave me the same info i had found on the web. So basically I am looking for help to see if anybody can help me program this so I don't have to drive all the way down both keys turn on the car just the transmitter does not work any ideas?????????

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Other owners have reported that it takes several attempt to get the timing right (instructions look good - see here too). So be persistant and try some more before paying to have it done.

When you get to step 6 do the locks ever cycle?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No they don't that is my problem nothing happens. according to what i have read you should do every step within 4 seconds right??? and the last step should be done within 8 seconds.... or do you have to do steps 1 - 5 within 4 seconds???

·
Registered
651 Posts
when I had to reprogram my wife's civic I swear I had to do it 10 times before it worked. It is through the radio, as the door transmitter thing is attached to it, but I followed the instructions as written and it didn't work at first - just keep on trying to do it and I bet it will pick it up finally.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Security Chip Programming

I searched for additional info on this issue, but I couldn't find anything. I'm trying to program a new remote for an '07 pilot. I went thru the steps listed above, and I'm able to enter programming mode. Once I exit programming, the new remote will open and closed the doors, but it will not start the vehicle. Is the security chip supposed to get programmed in this process or is there another procedure???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the instructions. Worked flawlessly for me once I followed the instructions correctly. I was only turning the key to I and back to 0. Once I turned the key to II and pressed the lock key on the fob and back to 0 and did that 4 times, it worked like it should. I also found out that you will need all keys with you and program all of them at the same time. After programming the new key I found that my old key that worked no longer worked anymore.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
So many instructions and video out there that talk about going to zero on the ignition switch. They are all wrong, just makes more work. Lol!

Below is the easiest method.
http://youtu.be/mHfJilDFhHM

I can corroborate this. It's what finally worked for me when using the method that goes from II to 0 didn't work. Going from II to I is what did it for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just got a new key with built in fob. Do you have to remove the guts of the fob to program or can it remain intact and just follow the procedure. Also, I have another key and fob that the fob is no longer functioning. If I'm reading this thread correctly, then my old key will no longer work. How do you program a valet key?

After watching the video again, it looks like I could use the key with the bad fob in the ignition and hit the lock button on the good fob. Maybe that would program both?

Edit: If you saw my other post in another thread that I said i got key and program for $100 from dealer. That is true as far as price, but so far I have only paid $50 to purchase key and I didn't have to time to stick around for program which they said would cost $50. Since I did a little more research, looks like maybe I could save that 50

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Used the above method. Worked perfectly first try except new key will not start car. Is the above method only used to program transmitter and not to program key itself?
That's right. You need to (carefully) dig out the immobilizer chip from your original key and insert it into your new one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks, I wanted 2 keys that started the vehicle. I took it to dealer and had them programmed for $50. They above guidelines worked great for programming keyless entry. They fixed the recall on the airbag as well. I didn't know about that one yet. $100 for key and key fob programmed from dealer doesn't seem bad compared to trying to get a switchblade key from vw dealer. I think it was going to be $250. I think I paid $150 just for a plain key and programming without fob.

·
Registered
77 Posts
thanks for this. worked for me. took a few tries, but mainly my fault. after programming I forgot to take off the key from the ignition to test.

also, not sure if it's normal, but the other working remote had to be re-programmed.

thanks again

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you push the button on the transmitter does the transmitter light up? I replaced my battery but it doesn't appear to be functional.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, it's normal to have to re-program both transmitters again. When you program one you erase the old keys from what I have read. The process listed here works, if it's not working after a few tries, you may have a bad receiver or dying battery.

Also, you don't have to turn the key back to the 0 position, you can just go from II to I back to II, etc..

I recently had issues with this process and used the instruction here to program my keys. One of them would not allow me to enter programming mode, no matter how I did the process. Turns out the transmitter (new) was faulty. I ordered a 2nd and it entered programming mode flawlessly. Once you hear the locks cycle, you need to press the lock button on both your transmitters, one at a time spaced out a few seconds. Then turn the car off and test both.

This all started for me when my little screw fell out and allowed my transmitter to fall out of my key somehow. You can replace the transmitters with generic's from the web (key blanks) and just remove the guts and toss the key blank, which is what I did. I also found a little silicone cover for the key, and used the screw from the generic key to replace the lost one, covering it all with the silicone cover to prevent the same thing from ever happening again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts