Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The misses regularly takes our Pilot for long runs from Massachusetts up to northern New Hampshire. In the last year, we had two failures that required a flat-bed / tow- a failed alternator and a failed starter. We love our Pilot - I would tell you it has been the finest vehicle I have ever owned. She absolutely adores her Pilot but like all vehicles, as they age, the reliability, and frequency of repair becomes an issue. BTW, the last three vehicles have been Honda's.

We have been looking at and discussing the Passport, another Pilot, and a Highlander. We hit the dealerships, socially distanced of course, in February as Honda was running 0-percent financing and looking to move out their Pilots as they are being replaced with the new model next year. We both wanted to love the Passport but it just rides too hard (for my wife's taste). So, we ended up looking at the Pilots. We cross-shopped them with the Toyota Highlander - an XLE trim.

Other than the factory discount financing we couldn't get much of a deal on a new EX-L Pilot and that was my wife's strong preference. I pushed her to check the Toyota and we were quite impressed. Also, the Toyota dealers, at least here in Massachusetts, seemed to have a lot of inventory, and the factory had a $1,000 rebate. We found 1.99% financing at the local credit union and one of the dealers gave us an unbelievable deal on a new Highlander.

More to the point, after we drove the 21 Highlander, we were quite impressed versus the 21 Pilot (which obviously has the disadvantage of being a much older design). Frankly price aside, the Highlander suited us better, so we bought it.

I am going to sell the 2007 Pilot EX-L with 140,000 miles private party. New starter, new alternator, new radiator, and four new Continental All-Seasons with less than 5k miles.A speck of rust behind the passenger rear door other than that she looks very, very nice.

I was going to list her for $6,800 and would be happy with $6,200 - what do you think? Do you think I am over/under/fair with those prices?

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
You'd be surprised what you can get. Start high and drop later if you have to.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
284 Posts
list it for 6500 and let someone talk you down to 5500 or 5 even.
maybe if you get it detailed and waxed up real nice could probably keep it at 6.
switched over to a highlander? what's next, a tahoe? :unsure::D

2021 Honda Pilot vs. 2020 Toyota Highlander Comparison

did you check out this site? pretty useless comparisons I imagine plus for last year's model.

the highlander looks like its a tad more expensive than a similarly equipped Pilot.
you got the V6 awd model right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
undivide - thank you for highlighting the Pilot vs Highlander comparison website - very cool.

Subjectively, the website's points resonate with me - the Pilot definitely is larger inside. If you are seeking a vehicle with an extra roomy interior - you definitely should favor the Pilot.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
Hard to equal the first gen package. They nailed it. I never connected with the third gen either.

We did many longer distance trips from Mass to SC. Now they are done in an XC60 or a CRV. Toyota is on a roll. Both Passport and Ridgeline are in the mix assuming the fleet grows later this year.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hard to equal the first gen package. They nailed it. I never connected with the third gen either.

We did many longer distance trips from Mass to SC. Now they are done in an XC60 or a CRV. Toyota is on a roll. Both Passport and Ridgeline are in the mix assuming the fleet grows later this year.
The new Ridgeline definitely caught my eye too. If it the vehicle were for me, that is what I would have purchased. The 1.5-liter, GDI turbo engine in the CRV just isn't for us. We keep our cars too long. FWIW, Scotty Kilmer just laid down a video on those engines that accurately reflects my thoughts. We cross-shopped the CR-V hybrid and if we had purchased a Honda, instead of the HL, we would have seriously considered the CR-V hybrid as it is built on the 2.4-liter engine and no CVT.

Funny, but our first trip with the new rig will be in the HL to Mt Pleasant, SC. Family.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
284 Posts
Honda was a victim of their own success with the 1.5L. It was so efficient it produced very little waste heat energy thus the fuel dilution issue in cooler climates on short trips. ECM software had to be revised to "fix" this issue. Who knows if it was actually fixed, time will tell. I personally don't trust these newer turbo GDI engines being pushed out by the auto makers. When my naturally aspirated port injected Honda engines bite the dust I will be buying a Tesla

1 - 9 of 9 Posts