Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So seeking some advise from the fellow and expert 1st Gen Pilot owners in terms of preventive maintenance or let's just say 'used' car' upkeep.

Have already changed oil/filter, 1 D&F on ATF(next with the oil change), coolant, PS fluid, front transfer case and rear differentials. All with OEM fluids.

In terms of my plan, was thinking to do inspect air filter, PCV valve, spark plugs and cabin air filter. Is there anything else I should add to the list?

Brake fluid bleeding would do while rotating tires(needs to rear tires), so after getting tires.

Serpentine and timing belts are good to go. Thank you for all the help.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,403 Posts
Air intake tube ✅

What's your milage?
In my experience, these gaskets need to be replaced at least once. If your 180k miles +.

Again, if your high milage, I'd consider replacing the EGR valve and clean the passages under the top intake manifold plate (this requires a gasket). If you want to go further, you could replace your valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mileage is quite high, think 270K or something.

You're absolutely right on air intake tube, that's already patched with duct tape and will be ordering soon. Any recommendations on it?

All very thoughtful items, appreciate it. Will be adding them in the order.

Is there a DIY for gaskets and intake plate manifold cleaning ? Thank you

·
Registered
12,403 Posts
Mileage is quite high, think 270K or something.

You're absolutely right on air intake tube, that's already patched with duct tape and will be ordering soon. Any recommendations on it?

All very thoughtful items, appreciate it. Will be adding them in the order.

Is there a DIY for gaskets and intake plate manifold cleaning ? Thank you
Yes, listed under intake manifold gaskets on RockAuto. If you decide to do your valve covers, then you will want a full set.
If you do your valve covers, it's a great time to check valve adjustment. These parts are AWD 2wd sensitive. Be careful when ordering.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,884 Posts
Good list and welcome to the forum.

When you inspect the spark plugs, also check they are all torqued to spec. They can sometimes back out. See the links to the User and Service Manuals linked to in this forum's stickies for torque specs.

Have you had the recalled airbags replaced yet?

While you have your tires off, you can spritz all the rubber boots and bushings with AT-205. It's a plasticizer that can rejuvenate those and extend their lives.

Of course you've checked or will check your brake pads and rotors, tire tread age and tread depth, and windshield wiper blades, right?

Does your spare tire still lower easily. If it's the original from 2007, it's most like likely too old and dry, so replace with a full size spare. It fits.

Any rattling, grinding, whining, clanging, clunking or other noises? Describe them here, preferably with a video, and we'll try to identify it and help you fix it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good list and welcome to the forum.

When you inspect the spark plugs, also check they are all torqued to spec. They can sometimes back out. See the links to the User and Service Manuals linked to in this forum's stickies for torque specs.

Have you had the recalled airbags replaced yet?

While you have your tires off, you can spritz all the rubber boots and bushings with AT-205. It's a plasticizer that can rejuvenate those and extend their lives.

Of course you've checked or will check your brake pads and rotors, tire tread age and tread depth, and windshield wiper blades, right?

Does your spare tire still lower easily. If it's the original from 2007, it's most like likely too old and dry, so replace with a full size spare. It fits.

Any rattling, grinding, whining, clanging, clunking or other noises? Describe them here, preferably with a video, and we'll try to identify it and help you fix it.
Oh that's very interesting, replacing the mini-spare with a full size tire. I think I'll do that - thx for the heads-up. Had a blowout a year or two ago doing 70 mph out on the freeway and used the mini-spare with no issues, but still like idea of full size. My Jeep GC had that (with TPMS). I think they just put it into the rotation when tires were regularly rotated.

This that SOP ? Rotating full-size spare during regular tire rotations ?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,702 Posts
Oh that's very interesting, replacing the mini-spare with a full size tire. I think I'll do that - thx for the heads-up. Had a blowout a year or two ago doing 70 mph out on the freeway and used the mini-spare with no issues, but still like idea of full size. My Jeep GC had that (with TPMS). I think they just put it into the rotation when tires were regularly rotated.

It isn't, because most people don't have a full size spare on their Pilots.
If you rotate your tires yourself then there would be no problem with it. If you get your rotations done at the dealership they'll probably give you a hard time about it.

·
Registered
12,403 Posts

Not a fan of cross rotation.
Lol

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
And the beauty is a full size spare fits. In fact in the Owner's Manual, Honda tells you that's where to stow your flat tire when you put the donut on. Many folks in the know (like the denizens of this forum) have been converted into using a full size spare, myself included.

·
Registered
12,403 Posts
And the beauty is a full size spare fits. In fact in the Owner's Manual, Honda tells you that's where to stow your flat tire when you put the donut on. Many folks in the know (like the denizens of this forum) have been converted into using a full size spare, myself included.
I'm not keeping up. I'm still donutting it.

So embarrassing.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts