Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how it happened but all of a sudden my Honda overheated and warped the head and needs a new engine. It’s got less than 90k miles so it has TONS of life left. I was considering it selling as is or dropping a rebuilt engine into it and selling it. I am really wanting to pick up an older vehicle that runs on diesel and has No (or very very few) computers/sensors on it. I was looking at like 70s and early 80s trucks and SUVs. But the more I thought about it the more I thought I’d miss my Pilot. I had the thought to have an older rebuilt Diesel engine (Without any computers/ sensors). I want to basically have a 2000s vehicle on the outside and inside with something from the 60s/70s under the hood. Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not this is possible?

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Not sure how it happened but all of a sudden my Honda overheated and warped the head and needs a new engine. It’s got less than 90k miles so it has TONS of life left. I was considering it selling as is or dropping a rebuilt engine into it and selling it. I am really wanting to pick up an older vehicle that runs on diesel and has No (or very very few) computers/sensors on it. I was looking at like 70s and early 80s trucks and SUVs. But the more I thought about it the more I thought I’d miss my Pilot. I had the thought to have an older rebuilt Diesel engine (Without any computers/ sensors). I want to basically have a 2000s vehicle on the outside and inside with something from the 60s/70s under the hood. Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not this is possible?
A diesel in Pilot sounds great and wouldn't that be cool to drop a 350 down into the engine bay. Unfortunately, these Pilot with their engines turned sideways under the hood doesn't allow for anything else other than another v6 Honda Engine designed for your specific year, make, model (AWD or 2wd). If you know the block is good.., I'd buy me a couple of low milage heads from the nearest salvage yard. Or you can visit www.car-part.com

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,578 Posts
Welcome and thanks for registering at piloteers.org. We are glad you have chosen to be part of the community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Sorry to hear about the issue with the engine in your Pilot. If you wish to keep it then Nail Grease has explained a couple of options for getting it running again. If you decide to go with a new/rebuilt engine a quick forum search will turn up some threads on known and trusted rebuild dealers. Please keep us informed on what you do.

Please take a moment to look over the FAQ section. If you need assistance please use the “message” function to contact any staff member.

If you haven’t already, don’t forget to register at the Honda Owners web site. It is full of information you may find useful about your particular Honda vehicle(s).

Enjoy and all the best,

Daltongang

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Best bet if you want to repair your 90k Pilot is to replace the engine with another ‘07 3.5 rather than considering a different motor design. IMO the 2007 Pilot is relatively tech-free compared to current tech-laden vehicles that all run great when these systems are functioning.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
56 Posts
I don't think you would want to try to sell it with a bad motor, prices won't be in your favor. I overpaid for mine, but that's sort of standard procedure for me. I would find another compatible motor and put in. That's what I'm doing, albeit slowly.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
161 Posts
Unfortunately any motor you stick in needs to the same year* or newer than the one that came with the vehicle, otherwise you'll never pass inspection/smog / be allowed to use it on the street.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
56 Posts
Unfortunately any motor you stick in needs to be newer than the one that came with the vehicle, otherwise you'll never pass inspection/smog / be allowed to use it on the street.
Not everybody lives in California. OP did not mention what state he lives in.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
56 Posts
It should be noted that while EPA's policy allows engine switches as long as the resulting vehiclematches exactly to anv certified configuration of the same or newer model year as the chassis

Same or newer. He can put an 07 engine in.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
161 Posts
It should be noted that while EPA's policy allows engine switches as long as the resulting vehiclematches exactly to anv certified configuration of the same or newer model year as the chassis

Same or newer. He can put an 07 engine in.
Key takeaway is that any motor that is swapped in needs to be the same year as the chassis, or newer, and if not a "certified" configuration, you'll need to install something that has cleaner emissions to (have a chance to) be approved, and subject to tail pipe testing to do so. The Pilot being a modern vehicle, it's going to be difficult to find something more emissions friendly that isn't loaded up with computers and sensors to make it happen.

Now, if it's track / off-road use, you can do whatever you want to the thing :cool:

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
56 Posts
Seriously, nobody outside of CA cares. You do you, I'll do me. Not attacking you, just saying nobody cares.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
161 Posts
Seriously, nobody outside of CA cares. You do you, I'll do me. Not attacking you, just saying nobody cares.
Last I checked I'm pretty sure everyone has their own voice and you don't speak for them, regardless of which state they live in.

I'm simply providing useful information about what is actually required legally to do an engine swap, which is pertinent to the OP's question unlike your unnecessary responses. TTFN 👋

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
56 Posts
You provided incorrect information which I corrected by my unnecessary response. You are absolutely correct, I do not speak for anybody but myself.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,578 Posts
Folks, let us not bicker over who is right or not. There are 17 states that require annual or biannual vehicle inspections and 31 state that require some form of emissions inspections. It is an easy thing to look up. Arguing is not necessary.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
731 Posts
Emission inspections are so dumb. You are at the mercy of your car's computer. Even if you don't have a CEL, you can still fail. Luckily there are ways to get around it.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
161 Posts
Not everybody lives in California. OP did not mention what state he lives in.
What's this? An unnecessary response, which I pointed to hard facts.

You provided incorrect information which I corrected by my unnecessary response. You are absolutely correct, I do not speak for anybody but myself.
Not including the "same year" in my statement does not invalidate or make my original statement incorrect.

There are 17 states that require annual or biannual vehicle inspections and 31 state that require some form of emissions inspections. It is an easy thing to look up.
Just because an area doesn't have inspection, or emissions doesn't mean that an engine swap from a totally different vehicle/chassis is legal for on road use, and doesn't make it exempt from their local or federal regulations.

If the OP wants to undertake his "dream", I'm all for it (seriously, good luck dude (y)) , just stating there are (and is apparent people don't care about, but for those who do) legal hurdles one might potentially face. If the OP really wants to simplify things, why not go all electric 😀.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
161 Posts
Here in Cali, you need to "know someone", and you have to be seriously vetted, otherwise the inspector can lose their job and/or face criminal charges, all because the regulatory board does random audits by trying to "shoulder-tap" or "bribe" the inspector.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
731 Posts
There are waivers/exemptions. At least in Georgia, the only counties that require inspections are the ones right around Atlanta. If you own land outside of Atlanta, you can register your cars there. It's not worth the hassle for a newer car, but older ones that are a pain to pass inspection, it can be worth it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts